Some basic 4WD questions!

Submitted: Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 08:40
ThreadID: 8111 Views:2208 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I found this forum yesterday and I'm just looking for some basic advice before my girlfriend and I begin some 4WD outback adventures. I'm on a tight budget. I'm looking at Toyota 4Runner and Hilux diesels for about $6000 1985-1989. Has anybody done any serious recent touring in one of these? I know you guys all seem to have newish Landcruisers and Patrols, but surely you can do a lot in an old 4Runner?

Is there something better at this price? What is the fuel consumption of mid 80s diesel Patrols? We will be doing a fair amount of off-roading, but tracks and outback routes rather than hacking over sand dunes and that type of thing. We're also planning to drive it in South East Asia. Is this totally stupid?

All advice and comments on pros and cons of thse vehicles, especially regarding costs and reliability and turbos greatly appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Peter (WA) - Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 10:11

Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 10:11
I have had a 1993 4 Runner and found it capable mine was petrol v6 3lt I was getting 8.2km to the lt , have a look in the trader section of this site for 4x4s for saleBorn to drive a 4x4 , not a keyboard
Peter York 4x4
AnswerID: 35213

Reply By: hoyks - Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 10:27

Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 10:27
Hilux bits are available just about everywhere, but Hiluxs are a bit overpriced on the used car market. Diesels are great as long as they have been looked after (regular oil changes, ect) but when things go wrong they can be expensive, same with turbos.
Have a look in the used car yards and you should get a bit more for your money in a Rodeo, Triton or a B-series Mazda(Ford Courier).

GQ Patrols are solid and reliable with quite a few breaking the 500,000km mark. The 2.8l diesel is a bit gutless and not real good for towing, but if it is touring, should be ok. There are power up chips available to get a few more horses out of the motor.
I have a Nissan Terrano II which is great and 5 years old. They are quite cheap 2nd hand if you can find one.
You should also look at a Jackaroo. Built solid as a truck bu Isuzu and only sold by Holden ;-)
Head on over to http://forums.overlander.com.au/ and there is heaps of advice available, some more reliable than others.
AnswerID: 35216

Follow Up By: Gibbsy - Wednesday, Oct 29, 2003 at 13:50

Wednesday, Oct 29, 2003 at 13:50
Thanks for all your advice. Is a Holden Jackeroo a rebadged Isuzu Trooper? These are common in the UK but don't seem to exist here. This is important to us because we want to drive in Asia where Isuzu parts will be common(ish). What are people's experiences of mid 80s diesel Jackeroos?

Thanks again
Gibbsy
FollowupID: 25698

Reply By: mrdesmo - Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 14:42

Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 14:42
Hi Gibbsy
Out of the two, I'd pick the Hilux, having owned an 84 2.0 petrol and a 95 2.8D and been on a round trip through NT in an 86 2.2 (or 2.4, can't remember the size..) diesel. I believe they are more capable than the 4 runner as the 'lux has a live front end (not IFS), better articulation..
Dual cab is the way to go, rip out the back seat for your fridge/esky, clothing, and other valuables, that way you can stick all the grubby bits in the ute end, ie gas bottles, cooking stuff, jerry cans, tools, spares, recovery gear, rubbish, empties, etc etc so you don't have the smell in the cab.
Bearing in mind your tight budget, second hand parts for the 'lux's are available in most places, at a guess more than the 4runner.
With the money you want to spend, you'd probably pick up a 'lux with plenty of goodys on it already, that is if you are shopping in Sydney or Melbourne...
We packed the 84 petrol up in 2000 and headed off for 3 months, 23000 kms, had a ball, went anywhere we wanted to, but we did set the 'lux up properly before we went, I rebuilt the motor and gearbox, replaced all wheel bearings, borrowed a HF radio and joined the 4WD network (VKS737?), plus a bevy of tools, spares and most importantly recovery gear. Loaded to the hilt, but never the less...PREPARED for almost anything.
Now the downside...
GUTLESS GUTLESS GUTLESS!!!!! All loaded up and foot flat to the floor everywhere, lucky to get over 100km/h, and the fuel bill blew out by about 1/3!! Quick tip...travel Oz ANTICLOCKWISE...that way you'll have a tailwind, not a headwind like we had for 90% of the trip, hence the $4500 fuel bill (2000 prices). Just be prepared not to get anywhere in a hurry...but you'll have a blast, and you'll see more of the countryside anyway!!
Wouldn't have a clue about SE Asia!
Good luck, happy travels...wish I were coming

Cheers

PS: Yes I am a bit Hilux biased...top vehicle, pity about the gutless motor
AnswerID: 35256

Reply By: Member - Eric- Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 18:51

Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 18:51
if the car is prepaired right , you can go anywere , just make sure its sound when you get it , so all money you spend is on enhansments and mod,s dont purchase something that will be a money pit in repairs , get it checked by a pro .Venus Bay
AnswerID: 35286

Reply By: zigglemeister - Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 at 09:33

Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 at 09:33
The 4Runner is a great truck, I have a 90 model 2.8 diesel which is one step up from what you're looking at, but brother-in-law used to have a 2.4D 86 model, and cousin had a 2.4D Hilux d/cab, so I have had experience with them too. The 2.4 is quite reasonable - not a lot of guts, but adequate, and will be much better on fuel than the 2.0 petrol referred to by someone above. The 2.8 is quite a bit better if you can stretch that far though. It is true that a Hilux has better articulation, and that does help it go a lot further on tracks where that is an issue. But there were some earlier 4Runners (84-85 I think, not sure) which had live front axles, and one of them would be quite good. Alternatively, invest in a locking diff for the back of an IFS one - you can can get a "soft locker" for them, around $550 or so plus fitting, I think - and it'll probably go as far as a Hilux with great articulation but open diffs.

If you're on a budget and there's only the two of you, have you considered a Daihatsu Rocky? They're strong as anything, great 2.8 diesel engine, live axles front and rear, heaps more grunt than the 2.4, and more again if you can find a 2.8 turbodiesel. I reckon they're undervalued in Oz. Ride won't be quite as good as a 4Runner on bumpy roads, though.

Can't help you with SE Asia either!

Tim Z
AnswerID: 35352

Reply By: Gibbsy - Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 at 10:31

Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 at 10:31
Thanks for all your advice. Is a Holden Jackeroo a rebadged Isuzu Trooper? These are common in the UK but don't seem to exist here. This is important to us because we want to drive in Asia where Isuzu parts will be common(ish). What are people's experiences of mid 80s diesel Jackeroos?

Thanks again
Gibbsy
AnswerID: 35365

Reply By: Arkay - Wednesday, Oct 29, 2003 at 16:41

Wednesday, Oct 29, 2003 at 16:41
No one yet seems to have answered your question about the Holden (General Motors - Holden) Jackaroo. Yes, it is a re-badged Isuzu Trooper. I have a 1997 3.2litre V6 petrol, done 120,000km including some pretty serious outback 4WD with no problems. In 1998 later came out with a 3.5 petrol and a very good new diesel motor (one of the best). The model range is now (September 2003) discontinued in Australia, more's the pity, they were highly under-rated here, and so are relatively cheap to buy in Aus (good value).
However I do tend to agree with the guy who said that the Toyota Hilux may be a better buy if you are going to travel about the world. Spare parts would most likely be more readily available for them than the Jackaroo/Trooper is SE Asia and elsewhere. After all you see the Hiluxs' everywhere on the overseas news, Afghanistan, Iraq, Palestine, etc. etc........
AnswerID: 35603

Sponsored Links