Carry Case for Tirfor & cable

Submitted: Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 21:08
ThreadID: 8133 Views:4150 Replies:8 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

I'm still a fair way off deciding what sort of rear storage system to put in the back of the 4wd, so I'm after suggestions of what other people are using to carry/store their recovery equipment in. Specifically hand winch & cable.

Thanks in advance
Phil P
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Eric- Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 22:15

Monday, Oct 27, 2003 at 22:15
most make there own storage compartments , others use boxes Venus Bay
AnswerID: 35322

Reply By: Tony - Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 at 08:47

Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 at 08:47
In behind the Bull Bar, cut the middle out and box it in, its a great place to put dirty chains etc.
AnswerID: 35347

Reply By: Rob from Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 at 10:15

Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 at 10:15
I keep all my recovery equipment in a large storage box I bought from TJM. As I do tours and often need the full 8 seat capacity I can lift this entire box out when necessary. I then only carry a small bag with shackles snatch strap etc. Hand winches are heavy and bulky to carry I keep mine in a potato sack and then store it in the large box mentioned, same with my cable. I use my hand winch on average once a week during training demos and have found the best way to spool my cable is to take an initial coil of cable then tape the flange end to the initial coil, I then just rotate the coil back towards me until the cable is all coiled. Always wear gloves when handling wire cable. Cheers RobCairns Offroad Training & Tours
AnswerID: 35362

Reply By: hoyks - Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 at 10:16

Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 at 10:16
I got a big canvas bag made for the cable and keep it in there. I keep the snatch straps, tree trunk protectors and winch extention strap in another bag and chain/snatch block in a third. As I don't have a storage system they are a handy size to pack where they fit.
Avoid getting a large bag to carry everything though. Once it is full you cant lift the bloody thing, let alone struggle up a greasy hill carrying it.
AnswerID: 35363

Reply By: Member - Peter (WA) - Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 at 10:49

Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 at 10:49
Roll your cable in an old wheel barrow tyre easy to store , on sharp bits to scretch the car and easy to carry see www.michellessacs.com.au for good quallity storage bags I have a lot of there products and am rearly happy with themBorn to drive a 4x4 , not a keyboard
Peter York 4x4
AnswerID: 35369

Follow Up By: hoyks - Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 at 14:39

Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 at 14:39
Your an ideas man!
FollowupID: 25576

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 at 11:22

Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 at 11:22
If you want something cheap and solid, goto army disposal store and by an old ammo box, all my recover gear lives in one!

Brilliant...
AnswerID: 35374

Follow Up By: Member - Richard- Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 at 21:54

Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 at 21:54
Ammo boxes have some varied uses. My brother in Law uses one to carry poo in when he and his family are on trips where they leave nothing behind. They carry a toilet seat and place it over the box. The hard thing i understand it releiving yourself of urine before you poo in the box! If you use one to carry the Tirfor in then one has to be extra careful so if you grab the Tirfor you do not get a handful.Richard and Leonie, The grey nomads.
FollowupID: 25638

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 at 18:21

Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 at 18:21
We keep our recovery gear in one of those purpose built carry bags that the likes of ARB, TJM sell. As for our hand winch and cable we have these secured against the cargo barrier using quick release straps. Stops them moving around and keeps them out of the way and as we rarely have to use them, the fact they are a little hard to get to doesn't really matter. Ideally, we'd like to keep all our recovery gear, compressor, tyre repair kit and winch in a roller drawer system but have so far resisted fitting drawers because we need to access the child safety points on the floor of the wagon. However, we are now giving serious thought to making a custom set of drawers having come up with a rough design for them that will still give us access to these access points but will allow the drawers to be easily lengthened and modified once this is no longer necessary.

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
AnswerID: 35441

Reply By: Phil P - Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 at 20:04

Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 at 20:04
Thanks for your replies !

AnswerID: 35463

Sponsored Links