Nissan Xtrail into Bendethera

Submitted: Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 at 15:26
ThreadID: 8145 Views:2159 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi.

Could standard Xtrail loaded with 2 aduults and camping gear venture into Bendethera via Braidwood?

Is there a better (safer) way to enter?

Regards

JDLife is to good to be dead.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: GUPatrol - Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 at 15:53

Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 at 15:53
JD,

The best (easiest way into Bendethera) is via Moruya.

I have never driven an Xtrail so can't tell you but it would be on the limit without low range, but it all depends on the track conditions at the time you are there...

Coming from Moruya there are a couple of steepish bits as you get into the Bendethera valley but if they too steep for the Xtrail but smooth you may be able to get a runup, if the track is rough you may have a bit of trouble...

When are you going?

Will
AnswerID: 35418

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 at 17:53

Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 at 17:53
remember you may get in, but if it rains all night, you maynot get out...

Specially on road tires if its slimey.
AnswerID: 35432

Follow Up By: flappan - Wednesday, Oct 29, 2003 at 11:43

Wednesday, Oct 29, 2003 at 11:43
In an X Trail or the like . . . yep most likely Truckster.

I "had" to come out via Moruya on Saturday night in the pooring rain, and made it easily (had AT's on), and some Pathfinder guys came out next day with HT's on, and made it easily enough.

Would be a different story with constant rain over a couple of days.
FollowupID: 25684

Reply By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 at 18:24

Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 at 18:24
If you do go in, get some DECENT recovery points installed. The vehicle tie down points are NOT strong enough to use with snatch straps. If the point at which a santch strap is attatched to your car fails, you can be very sure the person pulling you out will NOT be impressed with the imprint of the part of the front of your car in the tail of theirs!
AnswerID: 35442

Reply By: Tony - Wednesday, Oct 29, 2003 at 07:37

Wednesday, Oct 29, 2003 at 07:37
The steepest part on the Braidwood side is a downhill just before the valley floor and a rouigh bit near Dampier Trig, with care you will get in there, but as Truckster said a bit of rain and your there till it dries out.

If you are on your own you are better off going down through Majors Creek.
AnswerID: 35518

Reply By: Time - Wednesday, Oct 29, 2003 at 08:27

Wednesday, Oct 29, 2003 at 08:27
I have seen Subarus go into the valley without any problems via the Dampier Trail , so as said above if it is fine weather then there should be no problems,

The note about recovery points is also valid. I know my fellow club members would not even try to recover anyones vehicle unless it had a dedicated recovery point. Too much potential for damage to both vehicles.

Cheers

Buggerlux
AnswerID: 35523

Reply By: Patrol22 (Queanbeyan - Wednesday, Oct 29, 2003 at 08:45

Wednesday, Oct 29, 2003 at 08:45
Short answer is NO! Others in my area have had to retrieve a number of softroaders with blown clutches trying to climb out of Bendethra - lots of sickly smelling smoke in the air (from the clutch that is). It simply isn't worth it especially if there has been a shower of rain.
AnswerID: 35527

Reply By: Member - Colin (ACT region) - Thursday, Oct 30, 2003 at 00:02

Thursday, Oct 30, 2003 at 00:02
From a Subaru owner.
I don't know anything about your X-Trails capability but - there is one 'difficult' spot coming in from the West. A 'steep/deep rocky speed bump' which needs a little caution and some momentum - it is about 1/2 km ?? before Dampier Trig. Each time I have been to Bendethera this one catches me out, it is washed out and I usually pick the wrong 'line' of approach.
The rest of the tracks are OK, as others have said some bits may be slippery if it has rained and after heavy rain the creek X's in the valley should be treated with caution.
The Club was there a few weeks ago and did the 'Valley Circuit' via Minuma and Mongamulla FT's. These tracks are steep but have a good surface - we had 2 standard Foresters and a GT Forester (no low range) - all got around OK.

Good luck
AnswerID: 35661

Sponsored Links