Caravan Parks in Darwin

Submitted: Sunday, Sep 26, 2010 at 16:40
ThreadID: 81569 Views:7152 Replies:11 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

Hi Guys

we doing the Kimberley next year and I am putting a rough plan together.

Can anyone recommend a caravan park in Darwin or surrounds for a 7 night stay.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Phil 'n Jill (WA) - Sunday, Sep 26, 2010 at 16:47

Sunday, Sep 26, 2010 at 16:47
Hi Graeme

Wife and I stayed a few nights at the Top Tourist park fairly close to town 12 mths ago and found the overhead air traffic fairly disruptive to a decent nights sleep - close to town is convenient for shops etc, but figure on staying further out next time.

Don't forget to include Parry's Creek and Wyndham's Five Rivers Lookout in your Kimberley visit.

Enjoy - regards, Phil
Phil 'n Jill (WA)

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 431479

Reply By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Sunday, Sep 26, 2010 at 17:29

Sunday, Sep 26, 2010 at 17:29
Depending on the time of year u r going book well in advance
AnswerID: 431483

Reply By: Member - Peter H (NT) - Sunday, Sep 26, 2010 at 17:31

Sunday, Sep 26, 2010 at 17:31
G'day Graeme, we recommend Lee point caravan park. Its close to the main shopping area of Casuarina and there is also Tracey Village Club. It is a secure park as well, you are given an access code when you sign in. We also wish to say that not to stay at Malak van park or KOA as both of these parks are right on the emergency freeway,(MacMillians Rd) All emergency vehicles use this road 24/7.
Also both these parks back onto the Darwin International Airport. I hope you find what your looking for and also enjoy your stay in the top end.
AnswerID: 431484

Reply By: Member - John - Sunday, Sep 26, 2010 at 17:43

Sunday, Sep 26, 2010 at 17:43
Second Lee Point.............
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 431488

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, Sep 26, 2010 at 18:15

Sunday, Sep 26, 2010 at 18:15
Hi Graeme

As we headed towards Darwin July last year, we were talking to people along the way and they were trying to book a CP in Darwin without success and found there were lots of little ones - not all listed in the same registers. Many of these said they did not take bookings and just call in and see.

Someone next to us at Mataranka (Bitter Springs) told us he had spent some time going around the CPs and being turned away, and found a small one by chance right near where he was getting fuel; Leprechaun. It is not obvious from the highway unless you know to look for it. It was in the area we wanted to go for for air conditioner repairs - Winnellie.

Coming out of Kakadu where our time frame had been an unknown, we had planned to stay overnight at a lagoon on the way to get to Darwin in the morning, but camping there was no longer permitted at that lagoon, so we went on to Darwin, arriving late in the day. I did try ringing this CP on the way but signal kept dropping out. I thought it was my end, but the receptionist was out in the park with a cordless and too far from base. We called in on spec and they found us a place that suited our big rig. As none of their sites were drive through, we needed one we could back into and have the vehicle straight to unhitch - not always easy with the length of the F250 and an AT35 hitch. I think they do take bookings, unlike some of the Darwin CPs.

Leprechaun is a small CP and amenities block very old but serviceable (see my review in Badger's) and more than adequate for the full park; I never needed to wait for a shower and usual plenty were vacant, with water always hot. I saw someone use the motel customers swimming pool, but never saw anyone use the caravan park pool. Both looked clean. Surprisingly not noisy being behind the motel rooms and backing onto a commercial area which was silent overnight (we are bush campers and like quiet nights). Proprietors were nice and helpful. Bus stop right outside gate which would be very convenient for sightseeing in the city, and it is the closest park being 5 kms from Darwin CBD. Winnellie Post Office was a short walk. Although near airport (aren't they all in Darwin?), plane take off path was not directly over the CP.

If we weren't able to get in at Leprechaun, we were going to go out to Lee Point , but we wanted to be in Winnellie to take the caravan to a refrigeration place the next morning to get work done on the air conditioner.

If you don't want to be right in town, the parks at Howard Springs sound OK.

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 431490

Reply By: Member - Graeme M (VIC) - Sunday, Sep 26, 2010 at 18:46

Sunday, Sep 26, 2010 at 18:46
Thanks Guys very helpful.
AnswerID: 431494

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Sunday, Sep 26, 2010 at 19:59

Sunday, Sep 26, 2010 at 19:59
Be aware the mossies at Lee Point can be fearsome at times.

We were warned not to go there in May last year.

The first park in to town from the south
Kookaburra ???

Our friends stayed there was cheap but fairly small sites They couldnt put awning right out.

We stayed at Free Spirit Great park but reasonaly expensive.

Hidden Valley is run by same outfit

AnswerID: 431508

Follow Up By: nolbrin - Sunday, Sep 26, 2010 at 20:11

Sunday, Sep 26, 2010 at 20:11
We stayed at Howard Springs some time ago, 3 years, could not fault it.
FollowupID: 702299

Reply By: Member - Johny boy (NSW) - Sunday, Sep 26, 2010 at 20:52

Sunday, Sep 26, 2010 at 20:52
Hi Graeme,
if you dont need kids playgrounds or a swimming pool or a BBQ/campkitchen and games room ,but would like a large open area with a coin opp washing machine and new showers and toilets then I would stay at Robbie Robbins reserve on the main HWY into Darwin took us about 10 min to get to the city centre and it was the right price 2xAdults and 2xkids $25 per night for power or $15 per night for unpowered ,we had a ball just 5 mins down the road at the FREE water park and as we were on the road for so long we were able to save enough money to afford to stay and have a good look at Darwin ,Im not bagging any other park but I just was looking for a secure place to stay that had clean ammenities and this was great .

Cheers .
AnswerID: 431518

Follow Up By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Sunday, Sep 26, 2010 at 23:12

Sunday, Sep 26, 2010 at 23:12
I will second Robbie Robbins, can be difficult to get into though we had to be there at 7.30am to meet caretaker, he check to see who's leaving that day if someone move out you go into there space, you stay there until someone else goes then if you prefer that space you can move there.
****They DO NOT take tents OR camper trailers ONLY caravans & motor homes.****
Can be a little noisy & dusty on the Hwy side & the darwin gaol is on the other/rear side. Siren goes of each week day morning to wake the 'guests' up.
Depending on your 'site' you could be a long way from power & water, we had to buy another hose, we have an ensuite in our van so we didn't have to use the amenities there which are more than adequate.
Right next door to the rodeo ground.... a real must attend if there is one on during your stay
Caretakers name was Dave.... his mobile number is on a sign on the gate to the reserve, you cant book.
Remember it is a reserve not a CP
Would we stay there again YEP!
FollowupID: 702334

Reply By: John and Lynne - Monday, Sep 27, 2010 at 07:50

Monday, Sep 27, 2010 at 07:50
We stayed for three weeks at Coolalinga CP in 2008 from May to June. It is about 25 ks out of town but it is an easy drive. It made a good base for exploring the area. If you want peace and quiet this park is well off the road and away from the airport. Pool and amenities were very good. We booked ahead and had a large shady site. It was a well managed comfortable park. There is a good shopping centre with all facilities within walking distance. It is one of the very few dog friendly parks in the Darwin area. All dogs (including ours) were very well behaved. By the time we left they were turning people without bookings away.Lynne
AnswerID: 431544

Reply By: tg123 - Monday, Sep 27, 2010 at 17:19

Monday, Sep 27, 2010 at 17:19
Recently stayed at the Big 4 at Howard Springs for a week. Spitting distance from Palmerston and about a 30 min easy drive to Darwin. We camp unpowered so getting a site is always easy. Great park - friendly staff, top pool, amenities are excellent. Was $25.00 per night for an unpowered site.
Cheers
TG
AnswerID: 431594

Reply By: Member - Bill B1 (NSW) - Tuesday, Sep 28, 2010 at 23:19

Tuesday, Sep 28, 2010 at 23:19
Hi,
We were in Darwin for 2 weeks in August (end of) and stayed in the Boomerang. Shady sites, smallish park, basic amenities but clean, shopping centre back towards Kakadu, near Palmerston and it has a pub at the entrance to the park. Despite which, it did not intrude noise wise on the park. Pool and bbq/kitchen area.
No air planes or traffic noise either.

Need to book in the season though.

Bill
Bill B

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 431694

Sponsored Links