for the computer wizzes

Submitted: Wednesday, Oct 29, 2003 at 17:41
ThreadID: 8181 Views:1478 Replies:10 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
This has got to do with bugger all about 4wding except i access this forum through my computer. The problem is whenever i hook up to the net pop up screens just keep popping up the first time it happened i thought yep no worries the 2nd i went this is crap now i carnt get them to stop ive erased all my cookies. These screens are of the naughty type too and not just look at pretty girl ones really vulgar ones that even i (yes a sailor) am a bit weirded out by.
Any help would be great... apart from throwing the computer out the window.
Guy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member -BJ (Sydney) - Wednesday, Oct 29, 2003 at 17:58

Wednesday, Oct 29, 2003 at 17:58
Guy,
do a google search for software to stop popups, i use a program called 3B Web Watch after the first time you can stop them from a popup window, once they get you its hard to stop them.Regards Bob
Where to next
AnswerID: 35614

Reply By: southworksGU - Wednesday, Oct 29, 2003 at 18:50

Wednesday, Oct 29, 2003 at 18:50
get your self ad-aware 6.0 clean all the spy ware off your computer this program will also stop those pop ups.keep the computer clean of all the nasty crap you can get from surfin around,just wish i could do the same for all the red dust when travellin around hope i could help.
AnswerID: 35619

Reply By: Brad - Wednesday, Oct 29, 2003 at 19:33

Wednesday, Oct 29, 2003 at 19:33
Agree with both of the above. Also you can think about using a different browser, my guess is you are using MS internet exlorer ( just ask telstra bigpond at the moment what they think of MS software)
Try http://www.mozilla.org/ which is a free download for OSX, Linux or even Windows as a last resort :-) It has settings to block pop-up windows etc.
(As an aside I've just downloaded their thunderbird mail software which seems good - and again gets you away from the evil empire and its security risk).
If you want to keep using internet explorer you can try increasing the security/privacy settings - this is a 2 edged sword however.

Regards,
Brad
AnswerID: 35622

Reply By: Glenos - Wednesday, Oct 29, 2003 at 20:01

Wednesday, Oct 29, 2003 at 20:01
Guy,
have a look/chat with these people. They are very helpful.
http://forums.spywareinfo.com
Glenos
AnswerID: 35628

Reply By: Mad Dog Morgan (Vic) - Wednesday, Oct 29, 2003 at 20:10

Wednesday, Oct 29, 2003 at 20:10
How the hell does one get this popup up stuff in the first place. There are programs to stop it but are there programs to get it. Sounds like a good idea to me.My Best Mates
Hooroo
Ray
AnswerID: 35630

Reply By: KG - Wednesday, Oct 29, 2003 at 20:48

Wednesday, Oct 29, 2003 at 20:48
i spent ages trying to clean the exact same thing off a mates win98 laptop...
i believe it goes back to a webdialler that was installed (most likely by exploiting one of 100 known bugs in ie5.x)
i ran ad aware and cleaned everything
i purged the exe's it was launching off the guys hard disk
i manually hacked thru the registry for anything running on startup
i removed all trace of this thing.... 10 minutes later... it's back!!
my advice... backup what you need, format and rebuild with 2k (plus all patches) or xp (plus all patches).

cheers,

KG.
AnswerID: 35632

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - David - Wednesday, Oct 29, 2003 at 20:52

Wednesday, Oct 29, 2003 at 20:52
Guy,

I get this type of call often from customers. Firstly, you will find that one one of these sites you have visited you were asked or not asked to trust a certain program. You may have elected to trust the program. If this is the case you will find that programs were installed on your computer, these will throw up browser windows at various times of the day pointing at all sorts of crap sites. If this is the case and I suspect it is then getting popup killers will not fix the problem. (Most of the popup killers are designed to kill pop up windows during your browsing session, they will not all kill windows launched via installed programs). In fact popup killers can also be as much of a pain as spam killers (they just do not always work and sometimes kill real information).

Ok If this is the problem have a look in Control Panel - select add remove programs. See if there is a strange program names in there. If you are unsure what should or should not be there then just post the names of the programs that you are unsure about - I will tell you which ones. Remove the sus program, this is the first check.

Second is to check the C:\Program Files folder and see if there are any strange program files in the base folder, again let me know the names of any files in this directory (not the folders just the files).

Then we need to check the registry however, I need to know your version of windows to tell you where to look - Some of the smarter (dumb) programs remove the un-install/control panel stuff and hide themselves on the registry. This is why we need to look into the registry to find if a weird program is running or loaded.

Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
--------------------------
Always working, not enough travelling ;-)
AnswerID: 35633

Follow Up By: JimB - Thursday, Oct 30, 2003 at 07:33

Thursday, Oct 30, 2003 at 07:33
Goodonya David,

You're a handy fella to consult with on this sorta stuff ay.

JimB
FollowupID: 25756

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Thursday, Oct 30, 2003 at 12:00

Thursday, Oct 30, 2003 at 12:00
David/Jim,

Will you guys please post your correspondence relating to this on the forum for all to see. I'm also having the same problem with an unsavoury pop-up on the home PC. I've checked the add/remove in Control Panel as you suggest but I don't know what to remove.

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
FollowupID: 25777

Follow Up By: ogray - Thursday, Oct 30, 2003 at 12:29

Thursday, Oct 30, 2003 at 12:29
Hi,

These programs can also reside in the root directory of your C Drive. Check for the files with a .EXE extension and list the names of these in a follow up post.

Owen
FollowupID: 25785

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Thursday, Oct 30, 2003 at 12:57

Thursday, Oct 30, 2003 at 12:57
Sounds like I need to start I.T. Beyond as an online computer prolem solving business. This is what I do when I am not coding ExplorOz or managing the gooses that abuse the forum etc.

Actually I consult to small (3 users) - medium (3000 users) business on all sorts of IT issues and LAN/WAN network topology. Location is not an issue as I am in Perth with most major clients in Sydney & Melbourne (remote control and access has come a long way in the last few years). If anyone out there needs help at any time please let me know!Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
FollowupID: 25786

Follow Up By: jonny knowalittlebit - Thursday, Oct 30, 2003 at 16:46

Thursday, Oct 30, 2003 at 16:46
thanks very much dave.
ive just erased save.now which was popping up too.
also some sus programs in the control panel are:

enhanced medialoads
medialoads installer
new.net domains 5.48
web hancer survey companion
FollowupID: 25800

Follow Up By: jonny knowalittlebit - Thursday, Oct 30, 2003 at 16:54

Thursday, Oct 30, 2003 at 16:54
by the way i have windows xp
Guy
FollowupID: 25801

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Thursday, Oct 30, 2003 at 17:49

Thursday, Oct 30, 2003 at 17:49
Guy,

I would remove them all take note of the names and if something you wanted gets removed then do a search on the net for the name and get a new copy. I would think you will find that you do not use them and that they are just junk.Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
FollowupID: 25807

Reply By: Spyves - Thursday, Oct 30, 2003 at 09:23

Thursday, Oct 30, 2003 at 09:23
I agree with an earlier suggestion. Download a copy of ad-aware and run it, it will locate all of the software on your pc which is causing the pop-ups and allow you to delete it. You could do everything manually as has also been suggested, but why bother. Ad aware will take care of this for you.
AnswerID: 35671

Follow Up By: jonny knowalittlebit - Thursday, Oct 30, 2003 at 17:27

Thursday, Oct 30, 2003 at 17:27
do i have to be choosey with what they select cause i quanentined everything that ad ware said are bad and i couldnt do anything on the net. not even by typeing it in up on the address bar so i had to reinstall it all.
please help

Guy
FollowupID: 25804

Reply By: Boobook - Thursday, Oct 30, 2003 at 13:47

Thursday, Oct 30, 2003 at 13:47
Also look at your hosts file. This is a file that IP looks at forst to resolve names in the internet, it is often used in intranets.

Several pop up programs hijack this and there is one in particular that redirects you when you think you are on google, MSN etc.

First open windows explorer and go to tools, folder options. click on display hidden files. Selectg show hidden files and apply to all directories.

Depending on the version of windows it is usually somewhere like
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc.

Right click on hosts and open with notepad. If you see tons of entries with search engines, some pop up program has hijacked your hosts file.

If your PC is a personal one ( ie not part of an intranet at work.) the easiest thing to do is delete this file. ( it will come back automatically)

If your computer is part on an intranet at work, get IS to give you a new hosts file.
Ignore the LMhosts file.

This is pertty common and the purpose of it is to redirect your browser to some IP address regardelss of where you think you are going.

Then one good free program to scrub and keep your pc clean is 'Spybot search and destroy'.

Search for it on google etc.

Regards

Boobook
AnswerID: 35701

Follow Up By: Member - Neil & Lynne(Bunbury) - Thursday, Oct 30, 2003 at 15:36

Thursday, Oct 30, 2003 at 15:36
Recommend Spybot as well... great little free program that we use on our computers.Life's too short to say .. "I can't do that !"
FollowupID: 25795

Follow Up By: jonny knowalittlebit - Thursday, Oct 30, 2003 at 16:59

Thursday, Oct 30, 2003 at 16:59
i must be doing something wrong as you sound like you know whta your on about and i havent got folder options under tools when i open up intrnet explorer.
ps i have windows xp.

guy
FollowupID: 25802

Follow Up By: Member - Neil & Lynne(Bunbury) - Thursday, Oct 30, 2003 at 17:11

Thursday, Oct 30, 2003 at 17:11
Open up "Windows Explorer" (then Tools .. Folder Options) not Internet Explorer.

Life's too short to say .. "I can't do that !"
FollowupID: 25803

Reply By: jonny knowalittlebit - Thursday, Oct 30, 2003 at 16:47

Thursday, Oct 30, 2003 at 16:47
thanks all giving them all ago
Guy
AnswerID: 35721

Sponsored Links