Pedders Suspension

Evening all,

I was just wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem with pedders suspension. I have had pretty much the whole suspension re newed in my 94 NJ Pajero. After a trip away, some nearly 5000Klm on dirt road from Sydney out to Poeppel corner, back to Birdsville, Haddon, Cameron corner then back to Sydney. The suspension was so stiff that it near shook the fillings out of our teeth. Rattled various parts off the car and rattled so much that it destroyed an item that I had in the car that would otherwise be rather durable. It even at a couple of stages spun the car around and felt dangerous to drive.

I took the car back to the pedders dealer today and explained it to him, he said he has never heard of such a thing happening before.

I know that pedders may not be the desired suspension for 4x4 work and the other vehicles that I travelled with handled the roads with no problem. You know the suspension is stiff when it rattles the steering column bushes out of the steering column.

Anyway, I am interested to know if anyone else has had a similar experience.

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: justin71 - Tuesday, Nov 30, 2010 at 22:36

Tuesday, Nov 30, 2010 at 22:36
Wow, that sucks, I would have been pretty annoyed with them, and they are suspension experts? When I get my cars serviced, they somehow develop new problems they never had before! Thanks for the warning, will give pedders a miss...
AnswerID: 437436

Reply By: trilogy - Tuesday, Nov 30, 2010 at 23:04

Tuesday, Nov 30, 2010 at 23:04
Pedders sponser a rally team Evo 9s so they must know suspension.
Oh thats right they dont use Pedders suspension on their cars.
So they must know somthing.
AnswerID: 437440

Reply By: Member - Peter H (QLD) - Tuesday, Nov 30, 2010 at 23:04

Tuesday, Nov 30, 2010 at 23:04
Hi Richard,
Last year I had Pedders replace the front suspension units on my Pajero 2004 NP prior to a trip around a fair bit of Aust, and I believe we gave them a pretty good workout. From Cairns across the Savannah Way to the Stuart Hwy then Buchanan Hwy, Kununurra, GRR, Pilbara, Nullabor, Birdsville Track, Boulia and back to home. Never a minutes worry and they are still performing as on day one.
One reason I decided on them was availability of Pedders in all states, and I have been very happy with their service here in Cairns.
Afraid I can't shine any light on your problem.

Cheers

Peter H

AnswerID: 437441

Reply By: Busy Bee - Wednesday, Dec 01, 2010 at 00:31

Wednesday, Dec 01, 2010 at 00:31
Some Pedders dealers were sprung a few years ago by a current affairs program. They took vehicles needing minor suspension repairs and were given quotes for major work and told the vehicles were dangerous to drive without the work being done.
It only takes a couple of rotten apples to spoil the barrel.
AnswerID: 437444

Follow Up By: Rob! - Wednesday, Dec 01, 2010 at 10:29

Wednesday, Dec 01, 2010 at 10:29
The current affair shows are hardly the pinnacle of investigative journalism.

In fact, if they did a show about their own dodgy practices they would have enough material to fill a year worth of episodes.
FollowupID: 708987

Follow Up By: racinrob - Wednesday, Dec 01, 2010 at 13:28

Wednesday, Dec 01, 2010 at 13:28
I've experienced the exhorbitant quote (over $2,000) for major repairs from Pedders first hand, then took my Toyota to a tyre dealer (Jax) who found both the front rims were slightly out of round, an easy fix.

Rob.
FollowupID: 709005

Reply By: Member - MYPRADO - Wednesday, Dec 01, 2010 at 01:45

Wednesday, Dec 01, 2010 at 01:45
I went to Pedders to replace a bush on the steering arm, picked it up had same rattle, went to another mechanic they took it out replaced it with new bush and no problems after, they told me that it was never replaced by Pedders and one could see it was worn, so i would never ever go to a Pedders dealer again.
Buyer beware.
AnswerID: 437445

Follow Up By: Dave... Adelaide (SA - Wednesday, Dec 01, 2010 at 20:34

Wednesday, Dec 01, 2010 at 20:34
So what did you do about it???
FollowupID: 709063

Reply By: B1B2 - Wednesday, Dec 01, 2010 at 07:16

Wednesday, Dec 01, 2010 at 07:16
Richard,
Pedders supply different types of shockers. You need to say which ones you had fitted.
I had the foam ones fitted a few years ago and explained i would be driving seriously offroad. I shredded the black rubber bushes after the first trip to the cape and they replaced them with the red poly type, which last reasonably well. I have changed them as they do wear out. The foam shockers i am really happy with, I have hit some big holes and you think - this is going to be bad, and it coasts over. Their workmanship however is shocking, I wont let them touch my truck again. They do guarantee what they destroy, but it's not a lot of help when your sway bars fall off 1,000kms from anywhere and you need to weld them back on with batteries. The CSR tests shockers to the limit, and they went well. One truck had a front shocker ripped clean off his chassis.
I have copped a fair bit of ribbing for fitting Pedders, but for my use they have been impressive even after 6 years. There are a lot of dents in the back ones but it doesn't affect their performance.

Cheers,
Bill
AnswerID: 437446

Follow Up By: Dave... Adelaide (SA - Wednesday, Dec 01, 2010 at 20:37

Wednesday, Dec 01, 2010 at 20:37
Obviously if you had to weld your sway bars back on, something broke , right??....what does that have to do with Pedders workmanship???
FollowupID: 709064

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Wednesday, Dec 01, 2010 at 09:04

Wednesday, Dec 01, 2010 at 09:04
Just wondering - have you been out on those roads previously ? Which tyres did you use on this trip ? Pressures ?
AnswerID: 437453

Reply By: Member - mazcan - Wednesday, Dec 01, 2010 at 13:05

Wednesday, Dec 01, 2010 at 13:05
richrad70au
you havent mentioned what tyre pressures you were running and could well be the problem if everything was vibrating so badly
cheers
AnswerID: 437474

Reply By: SteveL - Wednesday, Dec 01, 2010 at 13:17

Wednesday, Dec 01, 2010 at 13:17
My '96 GQ had Pedders heavy duty springs and Foam cell shocks newly fitted when I bought it.Very harsh ride even when loaded and appalling off-road.Quickly replaced it with Lovell's Springs and OME shocks ,was a vast improvement.
AnswerID: 437475

Reply By: hotfishez - Wednesday, Dec 01, 2010 at 13:29

Wednesday, Dec 01, 2010 at 13:29
I was talked into pedders foam cell shocks. Not happy, very hard ride. will be replacing them in the coming months. Overall, cant say I am happy with any of their product. It may be individual poor recomendation by each store owner in which case they need more product training from "PEDDERS".

No more Pedders for me. Not interested...
AnswerID: 437477

Reply By: Brunohamilton - Wednesday, Dec 01, 2010 at 13:35

Wednesday, Dec 01, 2010 at 13:35
When Peders did my air-bags, which I am happy with they told me all the other things that needed doing, like replacing the engine mounts.
As the engine mounts had been replaced about three months before in a different state, I was worried that I had paid for a job not done.
So I looked and they were visibly new.

So now Peders are never getting my custom again.
AnswerID: 437479

Reply By: dieseltojo - Wednesday, Dec 01, 2010 at 17:42

Wednesday, Dec 01, 2010 at 17:42
I went to Pedders to have an extra spring put in due to fitting gas bottles.They wanted to take it to a spring installer and not do it them selves. I took it to the spring people myself and saved $50.00.
AnswerID: 437504

Reply By: richard70au - Sunday, Dec 12, 2010 at 00:21

Sunday, Dec 12, 2010 at 00:21
here are some photos of the shock absorber that I replaced.

I have taken this back to Pedders and they say that this is a rare thing to happen, I am awaiting a reply back from the state manager.

I am using MAXXIS MA-751 tyres, I got 90000Km from the last set so I opted for them again as the replacement, we lowered the tyre pressures but it was still a rough ride.

I don't think that a shock should fail like this after only 80000km.

Thanks for all the replies, I have had 3 cars in my 25 years of driving, all of them 4wd and all of them fitted with pedders suspension, I will steer clear from now on and look for something else.

Also, don't get to think that you are getting a bargain on the foam cell, it is just a piece of camping mattress fitted inside the shock.

The failed shock is a track ryder 9551 or 9552, what ever one is for the rea

[img]
[/img]
AnswerID: 438612

Sponsored Links