CAsual work whilst travelling

Submitted: Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 14:34
ThreadID: 8306 Views:2419 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I am planning on doing the circumnavigation in 2005 and am wondering what potential there is for people to pick up casual employment whilst travelling. Presently, as an Air Traffic Controller, it is not the casual sort of work available. I have an electrical and electronics background but am wondering more about the avaialbility of the old fruit picking and labouring jobs that were commonplace in the 70/80s.
As I am self funding my families travels, at 39 yo I am a long way from retriement so don't have the potential super ann support. I can afford the year without work but would prefer to be able to 'top up' my bank balance if needs be.

Are there any recommended courses that I should do prior to departure to assure work if required?

Rob
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Michael - Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 15:15

Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 15:15
Hi There Rob, I'm sure there is work around, especially in the bush. Its really a matter of asking around, there still is a lot of people who dont want to work and jobs remain unfilled. We did a six week trip through the middle and its surprising the amount of money you go through. As we all know, camping is not cheap!! Best regards Michael
AnswerID: 36193

Reply By: jonny knowalittlebit - Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 16:48

Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 16:48
I come from around the Tamworth area and there is always seasonal work there its a little rough cotten chippen but good money about $12 rods an hour cash in hand sort of stuff. Not sure where your starting from but if its sydney or brisi then it might be a bit too close. Have friends up in darwin and they said works a plenty up there too, he is also in the electronic feild.
My only suggestion would be if you dont mind working out of your skills to do a bar course and a RSA (responsable service of alcohol) i think it takes a week or two at tafe cost around $500 to $1000 (i think and you get to drink what you pour) and im sure youd be able to pick up work any where then.
Hope it gives you a few ideas.
Guy
AnswerID: 36198

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 17:05

Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 17:05
Rob,

Go to your nearest Joblink centre and talk to them there. The govt. produces a national booklet outlining the sort of work you mention. ie. fruit and cotton bpicking etc, where and when. My father-in-law and his missus used this guide several years ago to help finance their 9 month trip from WA to the east coast.

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
AnswerID: 36203

Reply By: Member - Ross - Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 18:13

Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 18:13
Rob

Not sure where you intend to travel, however we went through the centre earlier this year. Got talking (as you always seem to do) to the bloke running the servo in Hermansberg (west of Alice). He was in his late 50's early 60's and he and his better half had left the big smoke 6-12 months prior with $20K in the bank as backup. They hadn't touched it and had more mun muns in the kick than when they started. Worked mainly as locums managing caravan parks/camping areas/general stores come fuel outlets etc etc.

He reckoned there was absolutely no shortage of work and was bemoaning the fact they didn't get enough time off for themselves.

Something to think about. Following that, certainly pursue the hospitality line as I'm sure there'd be no shortage there. Curtin Springs was mainly youngsters from O/Seas on a short time basis.

What about the electrical side ... if you're a registered sparky it's money in the bank all the way.

Best of luck.
Rosco
AnswerID: 36208

Reply By: GOB member vic - Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 19:34

Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 19:34
roblin

mob called workabout australia see them at a lot of the shows and i think you can get onto them at www.workabout australia.com.aulist a lot of casual jobs where they are and what time of year
1 they have abook with alot of the info and
2 for more money they will give you an email adress to contact about work

we hope to retire in a couple of years and do something similar

steveimagine a 03 gu 4.2tdin the picture
as i am having trouble sizing the picture
AnswerID: 36217

Follow Up By: Member - Ross - Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 22:32

Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 22:32
Gob

Re your piccie ... try cropping out the extraneous imagery around your beast and "save in internet format" or something similar.. should get what your're after and around 50K which will suit this site requirements ... worked for me anyway.Rosco
FollowupID: 26131

Reply By: Slammin - Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 01:47

Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 01:47
If you can't find work in the NT you're either dead or too proud.

A top spot - I liked it so much, I bought the place!

PS Alice needs a cylinder borer.
AnswerID: 36249

Reply By: Member - Chris (Wollongong) - Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 17:24

Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 17:24
The above responses are certainly re assuring. It pretty much confirms what I was already thinking......that is if you want work and are prepared to do anything you wont have any troubles.

2 weeks to go till I head off around oz for 3-4 years. Our first stop is Gold Coast and my partner has received two job offers already!!!

Hey roblin........Which tower you work in?? Im just about to complete CPL so chances are I might have flown into your airspace!!!

AnswerID: 36313

Follow Up By: roblin - Thursday, Nov 06, 2003 at 13:27

Thursday, Nov 06, 2003 at 13:27
Chris,
unless you've done some jaunts to Sth East QLD you may not have. I am presently working at Oakey (just West of Toowomba).

Are you towing a van or trailer or driving a motorhome?

For others also out there, what are your thoughts on family of four (2 youg kids) plus the occasional 2 teenagers travelling around Aus. We want to get to places of the normal routes but aren't sure if we will get to the serious 4wd stuff. Presently we are considering a camper trailer but I am not sure of the habitability of these for an extended period (12mths or more).
Are we better of with a van?
FollowupID: 26286

Follow Up By: Member - Chris (Wollongong) - Thursday, Nov 06, 2003 at 15:42

Thursday, Nov 06, 2003 at 15:42
Havent been to Oakey......only as far as Cooly.

Keen to do a bit of flying out of Archerfield though to see if it is as crazy as Bankstown.

We will be towing a 14ft van around with us. Would have liked a camper trailer but need the extra storage space and security of the van.
FollowupID: 26290

Sponsored Links