Suggestions please, Hobart to Strauhan

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 30, 2011 at 21:43
ThreadID: 84011 Views:7136 Replies:9 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
We are towing a caravan from Hobart to Strauhan next week and getting mixed messages about the route to take.

Been told not to take the road from Queenstown into Strauhan, but should go Queenstown - Zeehan and then back to Strauhan???

Others have said differently. Can anyone who has done the road from Hobart across to Strauhan (towing) give me their thoughts please.

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: westskip - Sunday, Jan 30, 2011 at 23:24

Sunday, Jan 30, 2011 at 23:24
Hi Andrew

We went through that way in april/may last year. Can't be too bad as I can't remember it at all. Not like the descent into Queenstown - but just take that slowly and it's easy.

John

AnswerID: 443597

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Sunday, Jan 30, 2011 at 23:35

Sunday, Jan 30, 2011 at 23:35
It is a very winding road. The engineer that built it did so without bridges which would have straightened it a lot. The road surface is a full two lanes, although the shoulders are a little narrow in parts. If you keep your speed down you will have no problems. There are a few places where you can allow others to overtake you.

I drove it from Strahan to Queenstown on a very wet day. I was a little apprehensive about the wet surface before travelling it. Afterwards I wondered why. The trip was OK and we ended up enjoying the trip.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 443598

Reply By: Motherhen - Monday, Jan 31, 2011 at 00:30

Monday, Jan 31, 2011 at 00:30
Hi Andrew

The worst part would have to be the switchback of the east side of Queenstown. We did it the other way, and my husband was awake all night worrying about it and telling the Patrol (pulling a heavy caravan) it would be OK. It was, as with the zig zags it was not as steep as it looked.

We stayed at the caravan park at Zeehan - nice quiet small park on the outskirts of town, and decided it was much nicer there than staying at Strahan (as did a number of others staying there) and there wasn't any appealing free campsites around. So we commuted to Strahan and Queenstown from Zeehan, doing the Strahan to Queenstown road by coach, as the return part of the rack railway trip Queenstown to Strahan. The Museum at the old Zeehan School of Mines was great, and we didn't see it all in a full day.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 443607

Follow Up By: Mel59 - Monday, Jan 31, 2011 at 07:50

Monday, Jan 31, 2011 at 07:50
Agree, the Zeehan caravan park is a great place/base and lots to do in all directions. The Queestown park a bit open and they let Motorhomes use generators for power as not a lot of power sites. too noisy for me and didnt regret moving to Zeehan.
Mel

ps loved your blog on tassie
FollowupID: 715695

Reply By: Baz&Pud (Tassie) - Monday, Jan 31, 2011 at 06:55

Monday, Jan 31, 2011 at 06:55
Andrew,

We have towed a van to the West Coast (Hobart to Queenstown to Strahan) on a number of occasions, although there are a couple of steep pulls and long hills it's not a problem, just take your time and as they keep saying, drive to the conditions.

One thing you must not miss is "The Wall", which you will find some 15-16 ks past the Bronte Park turn off, or about 7ks before you get to Derwent Bridge.

If you don't want to go into Tarraleah, there is a short cut via the C601, which i think from memory they call the 14 Mile Road, if you take this road "The Wall" is some 13 ks on.

There is camping at Macquarie Heads, 10-15 ks south of Strahan, minimal fees apply.

Enjoy the West Coast, we love it.
Cheers
Baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 443614

Reply By: Member - Andrew (WA) - Monday, Jan 31, 2011 at 09:46

Monday, Jan 31, 2011 at 09:46
Thanks everyone who replied, looks like it'll be fine.

I take it the 99 bends referred to by others is a stretch before Queenstown??? not between Queenstown and Strahan as I thought people were referring to!

Either way, seems OK to pull the van.

Cheers everyone.
AnswerID: 443637

Follow Up By: Baz&Pud (Tassie) - Monday, Jan 31, 2011 at 10:04

Monday, Jan 31, 2011 at 10:04
Andrew
The 99 bends is the down hill run into "Queeny" and the road between "Queeny" and Strahan also has twists and turns but it WILL be OK.
Cheers
Baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 715705

Reply By: MrBitchi (QLD) - Monday, Jan 31, 2011 at 10:34

Monday, Jan 31, 2011 at 10:34
Grease up the steering links and you'll be fine. As others have said the road to Strahan is VERY windy but no problems if you taks it easy and watch out for blind turns over crests..

From Zeehan to Strahan is a much straighter road.
AnswerID: 443639

Reply By: BrownyGU - Monday, Jan 31, 2011 at 13:38

Monday, Jan 31, 2011 at 13:38
Free camping at the Derwent Bridge Pub on the way if you want to break up the trip, good meals also, a bit pricey but ok,great looking pub inside with a massive fire place worth a look.

Cheers........Browny
AnswerID: 443658

Reply By: wendys - Monday, Jan 31, 2011 at 15:06

Monday, Jan 31, 2011 at 15:06
Have towed Hobart to Queenstown, then north via Zeehan.
There is a long, steep descent down to Tarraleah - we needed a low gear. The descent to Queenstown was not as bad as we feared - it is long and does bend around, but the gradient was not as bad as some we have done.
We stayed at National Park (Mt Field) and Lake St Clair on the way over.
We stayed at caravan park in Queenstown, having been less than impressed with the Strahan variety on a previous trip. Found the CP at Queenstown a great base. We did a couple of day trips to Strahan to do things there, but also did a lot around Queenstown itself, like the Bird River walk and the drive to Mt McCall. The CP had a gravel surface but we thought it was fine for the 10 days we stayed there. Stayed a few days at Zeehan too, and found the CP there ok, apart from a local hunting/shooting very close by in the dark of one night.
The road from Zeehan north was winding in parts - not a fast trip. We took the route through Hampshire, to Burnie, to avoid the Hellyer Gorge section - good road.
AnswerID: 443669

Reply By: Member - Matthew S (WA) - Monday, Jan 31, 2011 at 16:53

Monday, Jan 31, 2011 at 16:53
The road is not as bad as every one says. Yes its windy and steep but the corners are close together so you don't build up any speed. I did the road about 3 weeks ago in a landcrusier and towing a Jayco Swan. No problems at all. Take it easy and enjoy the view.
AnswerID: 443681

Sponsored Links