K&N Filters

Submitted: Sunday, Nov 09, 2003 at 21:42
ThreadID: 8410 Views:1960 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Any comment on these high performance "Oil" filters at $140 each they had better be really good. Although $35 for a standard filter for the Pajero is still part way there.

Any one using these filters?

RTA

Russell
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Nov 09, 2003 at 21:58

Sunday, Nov 09, 2003 at 21:58
I have 2x precleaner, and 3x main filters for the GQ, and they were GIVEN to me!

Says something for them I think, I used them 2 times, swapping paper for air in all combo's and it didnt really make any difference.

the only advantage is you can reuse them a few times, depending on how you wash them.

4 genuine ones will last you how long compared to buying 1 foam?
AnswerID: 36695

Reply By: srowlandson - Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 09:45

Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 09:45
Our research and experience has shown to stick with paper air filter (factory) and Factory Oil Filters. They are not that expensive, and sometimes you are not 100% sure that the quality of the aftermarket filter is up to scratch.

Steve
AnswerID: 36718

Reply By: David N. - Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 10:22

Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 10:22
I assume you mean "air" filters....
I have been using oil impregnated foam air filters (Unifilter, Finer filter) for over twenty years now, with fantastic results. Very good air-flow, perfect filtering- IF MAINTAINED PROPERLY they will way out perform paper filters- can't comment on the K&N cotton variety at least as far as personal use is concerned, though some people swear by them.
If not maintained well, oil/foam filters can be not so good- if the oil dries out they won't filter so well at all- frequency of maintennance varies a lot depending on use (eg: dirt road/bitumen etc.) If you don't like dirty hands stick to paper.
Cheers
AnswerID: 36723

Follow Up By: JohnH - Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 12:26

Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 12:26
David if you don't like dirty hands wear disposable ribber gloves is what you should have said mate, they look a bit poofy but in the long run are a great bit of kit. Good for doing wheel bearings etc too. :-)

Cheers

JohnH
FollowupID: 26550

Follow Up By: David N. - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 10:50

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 10:50
Good suggestion, I'll do that next time. Thanks!
I wouldn't like to go back to paper filters - still remember the performance difference foam made! It also reduced black smoke measurably (better breathing!)
FollowupID: 26626

Reply By: stevesub - Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 11:41

Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 11:41
Used to sell Unifilters in NZ a wee while ago.

Foam filters - great when maintained properly, manufacturer filters, good but expensive, Cotton/mesh type of filters such as K&N, great air flow but lets more bits through to the engine than any other type. OK for the bitumin but I would not use them on the dirt.

What do I use now after selling UniFilters - the manufactuers paper filters just because I have gone lazy in my old age.
AnswerID: 36729

Reply By: Dennis (Brisbane) - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 09:33

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 09:33
Used the K&N's for the past 8 years, love them.

less restriction = better economy and/or more power

The one in my 5lt Commodore (yes I know, not exposed to a daily digest of stock route dust, but what vehicle really is) is 8 years old. The cost of paper filters over that time would be more than the K&N. When I put it in even my sceptical wife (Why do you NEED to spend so much on an air filter?) could feel the difference on her first drive, after that she had no complaints over the cost.

Made a marked difference to the 2.6 Rodeo I own, especially highway driving up inclines in 5th. Don't have to change down on some hills since I put it in.

A mate has just put one in a 2.8 dieso Hilux and loves it, done a run from Brissy to Sydney and got better economy and a big increase in that highway climbing/car overtaking 'real world' power.

The US Military chose them to filter intakes for their ground attack helicopters in the Gulf, if they trust them to look after the turbines of multi million dollar aircraft they will probably be ok for my old Rodeo lol.
AnswerID: 36818

Sponsored Links