Dalhousie Springs

Submitted: Friday, Feb 04, 2011 at 11:41
ThreadID: 84105 Views:3538 Replies:3 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All, planning on take the family to Dalhousie Springs this July. Am looking to come from Oodnadatta and eventually head towards Alice. We have a 19ft off road caravan. Does anyone have any ideas.Particularly interest in hearing from Steve from Clare.

Thanks In advance
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Crackles - Friday, Feb 04, 2011 at 12:35

Friday, Feb 04, 2011 at 12:35
"planning on taking the family to Dalhousie Springs this July........ We have a 19ft off road caravan."
Gaday Harry. It would need to be a proper offroad van with a capable tow vehicle not just one jacked up with some aluminium chequerplate down the sides as the roads around Dalhousie can often be in very poor condition. Given recent local rain or even a forecast of such I would not suugest towing anything that large/heavy in there.
Cheers Craig..............
AnswerID: 444145

Follow Up By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Friday, Feb 04, 2011 at 13:00

Friday, Feb 04, 2011 at 13:00
Second that, did see off road caravans in July 09. Worst roads I've ever travelled on, especially the road out to Mt Dare. With a good off road CT we were flat out doing 40km/hr. See below photo of the corrugations, but the rock strewn sections were worse.Image Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be Found
FollowupID: 716251

Follow Up By: Ozrover - Friday, Feb 04, 2011 at 17:01

Friday, Feb 04, 2011 at 17:01
Mark,

This section of the track from Mt Dare to Dalhousie Springs is smooth as a door to door salesman at the moment.

I watched from the Truck last year as a group with trailers passed me from the north at around 80km/h, I had a look at the marks left by their tyres & they were only touching the top 1/3rd of each corrugation!

I still reckon that by going slower there is less stress on the vehicle & what's the difference if you get there ten of fifteen minutes later?

FollowupID: 716299

Follow Up By: Member - Harry H (SA) - Friday, Feb 18, 2011 at 08:11

Friday, Feb 18, 2011 at 08:11
Thanks for the advise, yeah the slower speed suits me fine, lets me enjoy the journey not just the destination.

Harry
FollowupID: 718169

Reply By: Ozrover - Friday, Feb 04, 2011 at 14:58

Friday, Feb 04, 2011 at 14:58
Hi Harry,

I just got back from Dalhousie Springs an hour ago & the roads at the moment are in reasonably good condition, but that will change by the time you get out here.

I don't think that you will have too many problems getting your van out there & back if you drive VERY carefully & check with us before heading out.

You have a couple of choices on routes into Dalhousie Springs, Oodnadatta - Hamilton Station - Pedirka (rough) - Dalhousie Springs. Oodnadatta - Hamilton Station - Bloods Creek - Dalhousie Springs (longer but less rough & you get to visit Eringa waterhole).

When you come back up to Mt Dare Go back out through Bloods Creek & turn right, the track through Christmas bore is very rocky & slow.

The other option is that you leave the van at Mt Dare & do a day trip down to Dalhousie Springs.

We repair a lot of trailers from the cheep garden variety right up to the Baroma's & Bushtrackers so they will all break even if treated gently so take care whatever you decide to do.

AnswerID: 444170

Follow Up By: Member - Teege (NSW) - Friday, Feb 04, 2011 at 16:39

Friday, Feb 04, 2011 at 16:39
Hi Jeff
When did they re-open the Pedirka Road? And is it going to remain open, or have some restrictions on its use?

teege
FollowupID: 716290

Follow Up By: Ozrover - Friday, Feb 04, 2011 at 16:52

Friday, Feb 04, 2011 at 16:52
Hi Teege,

The Pedirka PAR was re-opened towards the end of last season (land owners have come to an arraignment with DENR).

It has been graded & by reports from travellers it is in good condition, it's up to the PAR users to respect the track & don't chop it up any more than is necessary for safe travel.

As far as I know it will remain open.
FollowupID: 716298

Follow Up By: Members Pa & Ma. - Saturday, Feb 05, 2011 at 14:45

Saturday, Feb 05, 2011 at 14:45
Hi Harry,
I like Jeff's ( Mt. Dare) other option. the day trip.
We visited Dalhousie on our way across the Simpson desert about ten yrs ago.
Stopped there for lunch & a dip,however, listening to and looking at the campers there,we soon found out that the mosquitoes were,huge and voracious when the sun went down. So go prepared for them, if you plan to camp the night.
They're notorious! Especially if you're a Mozzie magnet like me.
Take care, safe travels.
Bye Ma.
FollowupID: 716419

Follow Up By: Members Pa & Ma. - Saturday, Feb 05, 2011 at 14:48

Saturday, Feb 05, 2011 at 14:48
Hi Harry,
I like Jeff's ( Mt. Dare) other option. the day trip.
We visited Dalhousie on our way across the Simpson desert about ten yrs ago.
Stopped there for lunch & a dip,however, listening to and looking at the campers there,we soon found out that the mosquitoes were,huge and voracious when the sun went down. So go prepared for them, if you plan to camp the night.
They're notorious! Especially if you're a Mozzie magnet like me.
Take care, safe travels.
Bye Ma.
FollowupID: 716420

Follow Up By: Member - Harry H (SA) - Friday, Feb 18, 2011 at 08:13

Friday, Feb 18, 2011 at 08:13
Yeah sounds like a good plan, hate mozzies.

Harry
FollowupID: 718170

Follow Up By: Member - Harry H (SA) - Friday, Feb 18, 2011 at 08:15

Friday, Feb 18, 2011 at 08:15
Hi Jeff, can you get from Mt Dare to the Finke. We will sure be checking with you before we head out.
Thanks \Harry
FollowupID: 718171

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Feb 04, 2011 at 21:51

Friday, Feb 04, 2011 at 21:51
Hi Harry

Like the others above, the most critical factor will be tyre pressure - keep them low for the corrugations and lower on the van and go slow. The track is in very good condition until just past Hamilton Station and then it goes down from there. When we went through in August last year, just after doing the Anne Beadell, I can quite confidently say that the track once inside the National Park Boundary from Bloods Creek through to Dalhousie was the worst conditions that we have ever seen the track in and worse than the Anne Beadell. I think that it is about time that the Department of Environment and Heritage look seriously duty of care for the condition of the tracks - they do not mind taking your $110 for a Desert Parks Pass, the money of which is stated in the pass goes back into the maintenance of the Parks, well not the tracks anyway.

The only reason that we went that way was the usual way through Pedirka was closed to the Public. The Pedirka way can be a little rough, but is the quicker way to go. If you plan on staying at Eringa Waterhole, make sure that you take in your wood for a camp fire, as the place has been stripped of dead timber and the usual half wits have resorted to chain sawing green timber for a fire...say no more.

Same as before you get to Dalhousie, you will see that there are designated areas where you can collect timber for a fire at Dalhousie. Make sure that you don't forget the aeroguard, as you will not have a good weekend...LOL

The water in Dalhousie is unreal and make sure that you get up before sunrise, for two good reasons, to see the steam mist rising in the cold morning temperatures and a very refreshing early morning swim.

Have a great time.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 444228

Follow Up By: Ozrover - Saturday, Feb 05, 2011 at 14:58

Saturday, Feb 05, 2011 at 14:58
Stephen,

Good point about the tyre pressures, we sometimes take it for granted that people know to let their tyre pressures down when travelling out here, we certainly repair enough of them!

FollowupID: 716424

Follow Up By: Member - Harry H (SA) - Friday, Feb 18, 2011 at 08:20

Friday, Feb 18, 2011 at 08:20
Thanks for that Stephen, I the words of my wife "I drive like an old mole" Careful is my motto.

I have been very impressed with the treks you have posted. Is there any way to the Finke form Mt Dare. Would like to travel that loop and what is the track like?

Thanks
Harry
FollowupID: 718173

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Feb 18, 2011 at 09:12

Friday, Feb 18, 2011 at 09:12
Hi Harry

From Mt Dare you can make 2 choices.

Head straight to Finke. From Finke you have the choice of then following the Old Ghan line north or the well maintained road to Kulgera.

Another great road is the Old Andado Track which will bring you you out at the Airport in Alice Springs. We always prefer that way it is a good drive.

Which ever way you go, you will enjoy the drive.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 718176

Follow Up By: Member - Harry H (SA) - Saturday, Feb 19, 2011 at 12:08

Saturday, Feb 19, 2011 at 12:08
Thanks again, I think I would perfer the Old Andato Track but towing our van and having a petrol engine the distance might be too great. The truck does about 600 k's per refill on the highway would like the visit the Lambert Centre as well .

Cheers
Harry
FollowupID: 718280

Sponsored Links