Garmin 3790T problems

Has anyone got one of these? I have just received a replacement for the one I bought 4 months ago and its doing the same thing. Screen loses its mapping, goes grey and also the unit randomly switches itself off.

Its a nice unit but its a pain. I guess its back to Garmin for this one too. Hoping to get some feedback from others if they;'ve experienced the same issies.

A mate in Toronto has one and its run faultlessly :(
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Saturday, Feb 05, 2011 at 15:36

Saturday, Feb 05, 2011 at 15:36
Bonz, Perhaps this is more than obvious but have you thoroughly checked the 12V power supply? If this is intermittent then the internal battery may slowly discharge and produce the problem you are experiencing.

Its not enough to just check if the 12V is present....... it must be constantly present.
If you operate the Garmin until it faults then immediately disconnect the 12V and try to start and operate it on only the internal battery it would give an indication of the state of charge of the internal battery. If no-go it would suggest that it is not being charged.

Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 444309

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Feb 05, 2011 at 15:38

Saturday, Feb 05, 2011 at 15:38
Thanx Al, I checked that and its charging fine.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 716434

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Saturday, Feb 05, 2011 at 15:38

Saturday, Feb 05, 2011 at 15:38
Bummer!

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 716435

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Feb 05, 2011 at 15:42

Saturday, Feb 05, 2011 at 15:42
Yep I know, and this is the second unit thats doing the same darn thing

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 716437

Reply By: catmandoo - Saturday, Feb 05, 2011 at 18:53

Saturday, Feb 05, 2011 at 18:53
Hi Bonz,

I have that model GPS and have done so for some 6 months. Have not had a problem with it I'm happy to say. On the odd occasion it loses the map, but this is only literally for a second or so. It has not happened enough to give me any concern.

AnswerID: 444333

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Feb 05, 2011 at 21:34

Saturday, Feb 05, 2011 at 21:34
thanx I might give them one more try before I demand my money back

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 716481

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Saturday, Feb 05, 2011 at 19:08

Saturday, Feb 05, 2011 at 19:08
Bonz, did you check serial numbers?

Maybe Garmin posted back the same one you sent in.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 444334

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Feb 05, 2011 at 21:34

Saturday, Feb 05, 2011 at 21:34
yep mate different serial numbers.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 716480

Reply By: blue one - Saturday, Feb 05, 2011 at 19:31

Saturday, Feb 05, 2011 at 19:31
Bonz,
In NSW Garmin are no help at all.

I had problems with a 760 which they refused to fix.

I had to go to a third party supplier to fix their unit.

I wont buy another one.

Cheers
AnswerID: 444337

Reply By: Kiwi100 - Sunday, Feb 06, 2011 at 10:57

Sunday, Feb 06, 2011 at 10:57
I have to agree with the comment re service in NSW.

After a good 4-year run and our only (excellent) experience with their support service, we had no hesitation in eventually replacing our old bulky Garmin with a new 760.

The new one proved problematic and we had many dealings with Garmin support during most of last year before they finally called it back for examination. In November Garmin elected to replace it and we asked for it to go to Dubbo post office in time for our expected arrival.

When we turned up it hadn't arrived. We lobbed into a caravan park to wait. Nothing happened. Further contact eventually revealed that it had not been sent. We were told that it would be sent that day and were promised an Air Express Tracking number. The number wasn't supplied and a further three days proved equally fruitless.

Our next e-mail instructed that if, once again, it had not been sent, we would advise our next preferred port of call. Unbelievably, it transpired that it had still not been sent. Contrary to instructions, it was "despatched" yet again to the first Post Office and we were told it would arrive the next day. It didn't.

When it eventually arrived, park fees had exceeded the worth of the unit. A written complaint to Garmin, detailing the whole sorry saga, was ignored.

After further follow-up, the following from Garmin on Dec 31:

"On behalf of Garmin I am sorry for any inconvenience caused. As you can appreciate we are on reduced staffing this week in order to give our team members time with their families over the festive season. My team along with all other teams in Garmin will be back to full strength next week at which time I will have the resources to do a full investigation on your behalf. As soon as I have some facts together I will get back to you.

Thank you and have a good New Year."

Saul Gordon
Service Manager
Garmin Australasia

It's now February and the silence is deafening. Must be a pretty comprehensive investigation!

Would we buy Garmin again?

Michael

AnswerID: 444395

Reply By: ishtvan - Sunday, Feb 06, 2011 at 19:36

Sunday, Feb 06, 2011 at 19:36
I purchased a 3760 about two months ago, and during a trip back home from Tamworth, my GPS had exactly the same problem that you are describing. I returned the unit back to Harvey Norman and they immediately replaced it with a new one, and since then (two weeks ago) I have not had a problem with it since. My son also has had a 3790T for about two weeks now and he has failed to have any problems with it.

Regards,
Istvan.
AnswerID: 444443

Reply By: Pete Jackman (SA) - Monday, Feb 07, 2011 at 23:08

Monday, Feb 07, 2011 at 23:08
Another 3790T here without any issues.

Regards

Pete
AnswerID: 444589

Sponsored Links