How to get a US Magellan GPS to work in Australia

Submitted: Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 11:14
ThreadID: 8414 Views:5284 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I just got the GPS and have been disappointed that the world basemap only shows the coast of Australia. It is a Sportrack Color.

Can anyone with some experience help advise me how to set this up for a trip within 100 miles of Sydney? I just need Sydney and suburb streets and major highways around the area. I don't need maps of the central region of the country (yet!).

I hope to avoid paying a lot more money so if used map info is for sale, that would be helpful.

Thank you in advance for any helpful comments or suggestions.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - David - Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 13:11

Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 13:11
Papermaps,

The only way to add this stuff to your unit is via the DiscoverAus software. It contains all all streets and suburbs data for all of Australia. Does come at a cost however and is available in the ExplorOz shop. See DiscoverAus. Cost $249 non member and 232.75 as a member (using MemberMoney).Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
--------------------------
Always working, not enough travelling ;-)
AnswerID: 36732

Follow Up By: Member - Oskar(Bris) - Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 16:58

Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 16:58
David
Every time I look for the DiscoverAus CD in the "shop" it eludes me.
I would have thought that it would be quite prominent in the "Maps on CD" section.
Maybe it goes by another name but I can't find it.
Obviously I'm not looking hard enough.
I tried clicking on the blue tag in your response but my browser is not real good and it can't cope. (aerial network connection)
Keep up the good work - my membership has more than paid for itself.
Cheers
OskarThe real oskar
FollowupID: 26568

Follow Up By: Member -BJ (Sydney) - Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 17:09

Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 17:09
Oskar, goto shop gps accessaries bottom of page 2.Regards Bob
Where to next
FollowupID: 26569

Follow Up By: awill4x4 - Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 22:20

Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 22:20
Be aware guys that there are some well documented issues with regards to "lagging" problems with DiscoverAus on the Yahoo Magellan site. It seems that some very precise map sizes and even shapes are required particularly with larger SD cards.
It's for this reason I haven't bothered to update to DiscoverAus and use the older Mapsend products which I'm very happy with.
For those with genuine Mapsend products I believe that if you send your genuine Mapsend CD back to Magellan Oz you can get DiscoverAus for Aus $99.
The recently released newer firmware update (version 5.12) for Magellan Meridian Gold and Platinum is getting better reports with DiscoverAus. This new firmware update is only a couple of weeks old and is being used in the USA for "autorouting" software which has just become available. This autorouting isn't available here yet but I expect it will be sometime in future.
I've updated my Magellan Meridian Platinum to 5.12 and it works fine with the older Mapsend, I'm waiting for some more reports about 5.12 and DiscoverAus and if they are positive I will update to DiscoverAus then.
Regards Andrew.
FollowupID: 26592

Follow Up By: Greg Harewood - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 02:47

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 02:47
Hello - V 5+ firmware is available for all Meridian Models (Gold, Marine Plat, Color) and some Sportrack Models (Color, Map, and others?). V 4.05 available for the apparently now discontinued "Base" 2mb Basemap Meridian Model.

Available here...

https://www.magellangps.com/en/support/software.asp

I wouldn’t be scared off by reports of lagging DiscoverAus issues....not as serious as its made out to be by some...and in fact not experienced/noticed?/reported by most. Updated maps in DiscoverAus are better than up to 10 year old Mapsend data and certainly a better option than none at all.
Cheers
Greg
FollowupID: 26609

Reply By: Steve Smith - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 09:03

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 09:03
Papermaps

I have a Meridian Platinum purchased from the US. It uses a Lexar 256MB SD card and has DiscoverAus and Great Desert Tracks software installed. Primary use: 4WD trips around Australia. Both fit onto the SD card with room to spare. I run firmware version 5.12 (latest and downloaded from the Magellan US site -www.magellangps.com). The DiscoverAus detail is superb and is, in my opinion, the only way to go, athough I have not owned the previous Map Send software for Australia which required a separate CD for each state, and much greater cost. For moving map detail, there is absolutely no comparison if you are just relying on the world-wide map which as you say just really shows the coastal outline. You will also need an Australian basemap which in itself shows a good deal of info just by itself (again, far and above the bare coastal outline). Although I did experience a map re-drawing problem when I first installed DiscoverAus (only in one area), I have since redrawn that region and have no problems at all (the problem was easily fixed). The 5.12 version of Magellan firmware also speed things up even further. I have no problem at all using the MeriPlat with any software when cruising at highway speed.

In short, buy DiscoverAus.

Steve
AnswerID: 36815

Follow Up By: ceredig - Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 11:00

Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 11:00
Hi Steve,
I am interested in why you use firmware version 5.
The web site clearly says that 5 is only required for north america and that other countries do not need it.
Before I move over to version 5 I would love to know what advantages there are.
I hope you can find time to let me know.
JJ

PS
What is MeriPlat?
FollowupID: 238482

Reply By: Member - Oskar(Bris) - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 09:28

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 09:28
Papermaps
I hope you bought your Meridian from an authorised US Magellan dealer.
I purchased mine through Ebay.
It failed after less than one month and my $289 looks like it is wasted.
Despite Magellan's website saying that they will warrant units purchased overseas they don't include Ebay purchases in that and thus there really is no warranty on the unit when you need it.
Buying a local Meridian was never an option as my budget was limited so I was never doing an Aussie business out of income.
I'm not saying they are too expensive here, I'm saying my budget was limited.
That's the risk I guess.
Cheers
oskarThe real oskar
AnswerID: 36816

Reply By: ceredig - Monday, Dec 01, 2003 at 17:53

Monday, Dec 01, 2003 at 17:53
I feel a bit nervous about updating the firmware from 4.** to 5.** when the web page clearly says that this is for North America Only, not needed for other countries. (Meridian Gold).
Tell me again why I should move up to firmware version 5.**
AnswerID: 39077

Sponsored Links