gic camper trailers

Submitted: Monday, Feb 14, 2011 at 00:17
ThreadID: 84340 Views:4468 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
has anyone got any info , was looking at buying one as they seem good value for money and are well pushed by 4wd action mag so assumed they would be ok but have heard rumours of poor quality and after sales service,any history would be appreciated
any links to related threads would be good too as i cant seem to find any{probably user error]
thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gobumpy - Monday, Feb 14, 2011 at 00:35

Monday, Feb 14, 2011 at 00:35
edwin

Hey mate I dont have anything to say about the gic and dont know much about them but i did stumble across a thread about the on MySwag.org both good and bad points im sorry but i dont know how to put the web site link thingo on yet still newish to computers.

Scott
AnswerID: 445364

Reply By: Ruffy-Dan - Monday, Feb 14, 2011 at 07:26

Monday, Feb 14, 2011 at 07:26
I can't comment on GIC campers but i do advertise with the Express madia Group (4wd action publishers) and they would push a turd as gold if you paid them to. They are not product biased, they are dollar biased.

DAN
AnswerID: 445368

Reply By: skmaint (WA) - Monday, Feb 14, 2011 at 08:20

Monday, Feb 14, 2011 at 08:20
Hi edwin,

My mate has one and he is reasonably happy with it.
They are not finished off very flash.....Wiring is very ordinary, gas struts fell off before he used it, water tank was not strapped down just sitting on bash plate sliding from side to side.
I have personally looked at them when I was over in Sydney, I was thinking of buying one myself but I went down a different path.
In saying that they were only minor problems that were easily fixed.
I personally think they are value for money, its not a bad looking camper when all set up.
As they say, you get what you pay for.
Good luck with you decision.

Cheers
Simon.
AnswerID: 445372

Reply By: Capt. Wrongway - Monday, Feb 14, 2011 at 10:49

Monday, Feb 14, 2011 at 10:49
G'day Edwin,
I've been looking to purchase a camper trailer for a number of months now, and have thought seriously about the GIC trailers. It has only been recently that I've formed an opinion on them after a good friend purchased the GIC off-road model, which gave me the opportunity to thoroughly check it out.
IMHO you pay for what you get, especially with the GIC's, only if your prepared to fix or modify some issues with them, then I think their worth the money.
Some of the issues ( may not be the same on every trailer )

Welding : Very bad on this trailer. Not fully seem welded. Spotted most areas. Gas bottle bracket spot welding. Welding penetration very shallow in same areas.

Construction : loose fittings : tail lights, Seal between trailer & bed cheap & torn. Draw bar need more gusseting and stronger welding to be regarded as serious off-road capable. Under trailer equipment needs to be better secured ie water tank fixings and various cables. Very pour painting.

Conclusion : "You get what you pay for". IMHO if your prepared to modify or rectify this issue yourself, then it's worth the price your paying. If you not, or you need to pay someone else to do it, then it's over priced for the quality.
Capt.
AnswerID: 445387

Reply By: Markim - Monday, Feb 14, 2011 at 22:28

Monday, Feb 14, 2011 at 22:28
Gday Edwin
I have a GIC ,and after a few "minor" what i call quality control issues I am fairly pleased with it
I for one couldnt justfy 10k plus for a box trailer and a tent
At the end of the day as the saying goes "you get what you pay for"
I personally have had great after sales service.
If you are a bit of a fix it, just about all the problems can be repaired easily.
I havnt been serious 4wding with it, but as i say "do you have to be there".
Also some roads are closed for trailers.
They do follow the 4x4 and camper shos around the country, and promote "Show Specials", very attractive packages.
U can give me a bell on 0417148822 for more info
cheers
Mark
AnswerID: 445460

Reply By: Gronk - Tuesday, Feb 15, 2011 at 08:33

Tuesday, Feb 15, 2011 at 08:33
Most trailers will do extreme offroading..ie; slow, high country type work..

But if you intend to do Gunbarrel, Plenty Hwy etc type work which involves relentless corrugations, washouts etc, then you need a name brand trailer that can withstand this type of punishment..

But if you intend to do coastal campgrounds and the occasional dirt road, then something like a GIC will be fine !!
AnswerID: 445484

Sponsored Links