Beware the dealer servicing department

Submitted: Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 19:48
ThreadID: 8451 Views:2286 Replies:11 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
I know I'm preaching to the converted here but I thought I'd relate this experience to others.

Last Tuesday my Jackaroo went in for it's 70000km service at the dealer. Got there at 7am and was the 2nd car in. I get a call at 3:30pm saying that fanbelt is cracked and needs replacing, brakes are shot, a shock is leaking oil and the wheel bearings are burnt out. $1500 extra work oh and by the way, we don't have the parts here.

My first question was when did youy actually start work on the car? "Half an hour ago" was the answer. Next question, what did you do with it all day? "There was lots of cars in before yours". NO THERE WASN'T!!! Came my reply. By this time the service coordinator knew that I was onto him.

I instructed them to finish the 70000km service and leave the bearings, brakes and shocks. I'll get them looked at elsewhere. "Ahhh...the mechanics knock off in half an hour, not sure that they will get to finish it". After a huge lambasting from me, the car was finished at 5:15pm, instead of the previously agreed 4pm. What they actually did was anyone's guess but all the obvious bits looked completed.

Lesson 1 - Don't get your car serviced on Melbourne Cup day. They're not thinking about any work that day.

Today, I took it in to the 4WD Service Centre at Taren Point in Sydney to check on all the stuff that the dealer wanted to do. Bearings were ok, just needed cleaning and repacking. One shock looks a little weepy but still works fine. Brakes have at least another 15000km on them. The fanbelt does need replacement. All up, a but under $200 including the use of a loan car.

Lesson 2 - Don't believe everything your dealer service department tells you. If they send you a customer satisfaction survey form like the one that arrived in my mail today, then use it to make sure they know what you think when their service is crap.

I know who has won my business over.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Eric- Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 20:01

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 20:01
Funny story

I was driving to Queensland last year when my brotherinlaws car ( Ford Exloder ) desided to play up in the auto . I sujested we take it to a local mechanic for a auto service , well no Nick wanted to take it to Ford . We take the car there , on a quote of $300 , bit steap , but hey , its Ford. We turn up to pick up the car with a $490.00 bill . I ask whats the extra for , and there answer was , we didnt think it would take so much expensive oil . No sh*t , so what do you usually service ? Datsuns ? Then a explenation on the Bands, how far out they were , I wondered what era of HQ this clown came from . After I winged on my brotherinlaws behalf for 1/2 Hr , there question , whats the extent of your knowledge on cars ? Well sorry guys what do I know , 20 yrs as a motormechanic , years auto electrical and 7 years night school on 1 t HP engine diagnostics. There answer , if your so good , why didnt you service it , My answer , I didnt drive 1800 kms to Queensland to serice my brotherinlaws Tranny B*TCH

Conversation ended , still no discount , Ford Australias answer , I dont beleive our tech"s said that . Should hade done a hidden video , dam Venus Bay
AnswerID: 36896

Reply By: Russell [Pajero] - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 20:02

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 20:02
My dealer service department sent me a service satisfaction survey card today too, whilst I did not get the full "service" you did I got a much smaller "service" from my owner dealer. Hahahaha don't ask me questions you don't want the answers I'm about to give.

Worse than bloody used car salesmen.

Who can you trust.

RTA

Russell

AnswerID: 36897

Reply By: Member - Paul - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 20:19

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 20:19
You certainly choose the right place to finaly go! Michael and the guys at 4WD Service Centre Taren Point sorted out my Prado before we went on a 6 month 25,000km drive in May. When ever there was a small prob - they got onto it straight away and fixed it (Not that there was many)

They will certainly be keeping my business..

Paul
AnswerID: 36903

Follow Up By: Savvas - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 20:34

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 20:34
Paul ... Good to hear from someone else what I'm already thinking.

FollowupID: 26689

Reply By: hadun - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 20:58

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 20:58
G'dat Savaas,
I'd just like to send a positive reply, rare I know. I purchased a 3.0 td jackaroo SE in June. Travelled 75,000k. Well looked after and logbook serviced by the original dealer since new[Eagers Newstead] in Brisbane except for two services by another dealer when the original owner moved to the Gold Coast.I read all the posts on the net and discovered that my vehicle sold new in Feb 2000 had faulty injector sleeves and seals that should have been fixed according to the Holden service bulletin "the first time the vehicle is presented after the bulletin date" dated March 2000. I went straight to Eagers,to their service manager Bill Mcallum and pointed out that this modification had never been done and would they do it now as I had read all the horror stories about engine failure. They said no they weren't interested, only wanting to know where I had obtained the bulletin! I then contacted Holden Head Office and they issued me with a service no. and said to present the vehicle to any Holden dealer. I didn't want anything to do with the selling dealer Eagers so took it to Zupps who agreed to do the job. After waiting more than one month for parts I finally took it to Armstrong Holden in Woolloongabba due to a good post i read on the net and from the first phone call untill completion-72 hours. Fantastic service and they really know about Jackaroos. Can't speak highly enough of them. will get all my trade from now on!
AnswerID: 36911

Follow Up By: Savvas - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 22:36

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 22:36
Hadun,

Great to hear that your experience has been good.

To be fair my experience to date with the dealer, Suttons Arncliffe Holden, has until the last couple of services been very good. At the 60000km service they failed do a few items I asked for and then there was the problem last week. So their shining armour is now tarnished in my view.

I was really pleased with the service at the 4WD Service Centre that it has, for now, swung me away from the dealer.
FollowupID: 26704

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 22:30

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 22:30
I wanna know why you sound suprised they tried to shaft you...

I would also take a report from 4wd SCenter to the dealer, show them see the reaction you get..

Also send a copy to Holden, stating they tried to anally enlarge you $1500.

Finally, Im shocked that anyone would book a car in on Melb cup day or any big occasion day, last day before long weekend etc... You have as much chance of getting good service as I have of being offered sex by 20 models. ;)
AnswerID: 36936

Follow Up By: Savvas - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 22:40

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 22:40
Mate ... Booked it in a month advance so I can get a loan car out of them and realised about a week later that it's Melbourne Cup Day.

It's more disappointment than surprise.

BTW, I'd be happy with 1 model. LOL
FollowupID: 26705

Reply By: bob@judy - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 07:10

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 07:10
Should have taken the Jackaroo to a Toyota service centre, no bull,upfront and real pros,can handle anything.
Gee i wonder if my next service will be a freebee.

Rolling Bones
AnswerID: 36971

Follow Up By: Graham - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 20:57

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 20:57
Ahh, toyota dealer servicing...... Charge like a wounded bull, loads of front to charge $700 for a scheduled Prado service then slap an extra $35 charge on for adjusting the handbrake(why the extra charge, not in this scheduled service) then 2 days later I find an oil patch on the garage floor.....sump plug done up finger tight. Then there was the time my brand new Hilux had some problems with the A/C..... nothing wrong with the unit was their response, took it to an A/C installer...fault found to be over gassed A/C unit.
FollowupID: 26793

Reply By: Billy - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 07:39

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 07:39
Only ever had three problems with my Jack, all due to Holden dealer service.

They put 85W90 in the diff instead of 140 and it pee'd out when I towed the boat.
They didn't tighten the cam cover nuts after checking clearances and then blamed a faulty gasket.
Tranny fluid overheated after they failed to change it per schedule.

Still had original bearings (nipped up every now and then by me) and brake pads when traded at 120K.

Great truck let down firstly by poor marketing and secondly poor dealer service.

My impression was if it's not a wham bam Commodore service, they don't want to know.All aboard!
AnswerID: 36974

Reply By: Member - Terry- Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 09:30

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 09:30
Had my Jackaroo(3.0 td) serviced 2 weeks ago (20,000k) by Rockingham Holden in W.A.
Told them at the time I thought it was a little bit smokey on acceleration and would they check it out. Picked up the car and after 1 week was not happy still smoking too much for my liking.
After talking to them ,the service department had no qualms about having another look. It seems the air filter needed replacing as it could not be cleaned anymore,however at the service was told this was not required.
They eventually replaced an emission control valve and air filter, the Jack now runs like a dream.You must wonder who actually works or checks on the car during the service.
Terry
AnswerID: 36984

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 11:39

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 11:39
20,000 the airfilter couldnt be cleaned anymore?

Am I missing something here? Its paper isnt it? And shouldnt it have been changed at the 10,000 service anyway?

I agree with you on wondering who works on cars these days, drive past a TAFE adn look at the Apprentice SPanners, they dont look like Rocket Scientists, let alone how to work on a puterized car!

AT least your happy with it now.
FollowupID: 26749

Follow Up By: Member - Bradley- Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 12:51

Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 12:51
Hi all , from experience i can tell you that dealers will only give the minimal training on new models to one or two guys in each place, all they want you to do are oil changes, don't fix anything thats wrong unless the owner has already complained about it, work like a dog for $13 bucks an hour and be a good little mushroom..... Can't speak for other states but i know that in Vic a dealer workshop only has to have one trained and qualified mechanic on site, all the rest can be apprentices on pocket money... Don't blame the guys in the workshop as they can't help it, Vent anger at service manager and owner of dealership..as they set the rules for maximum margin at all costs.Life is short- but there's always time for a yarda.
FollowupID: 27187

Reply By: stevesub - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 10:34

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 10:34
Last service on our Troopy, they re-balanced the wheels that did not need doing. Took them 3 goes to get them sort of right but not perfect like they were before they played with them. That is the last time that our closest Toyota Dealer to Bribie Island gets our vehicle to service.

We used a dealer for servicing our Landrover when we lived in New Zealand - well what a disaster - never using a Landrover dealer again if we have an option.

We now use MR Automotive in Redcliff, a Landrover specalist workshop. They know what they are doing and will be taking the troopy there next service. Their prices are also a lot more realistic than dealers for seriving.
AnswerID: 36988

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 14:45

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 14:45
Well I reckon I can match that story. Driving the Paj around one day, pushed in the clutch and there's nothing there...just goes straight to the floor with no resistance. I pump the clutch a bit and I'm close to home so once there I park it up waiting for hubby to get home. He climbs underneath for a look and finds clutch fluid everywhere...must be a leak, can't be bothered fixng it himself so he rings the local Mitsubishi dealer and books it in for the next day.

First thing that morning, I drop the car down there with clutch still going straight to the floor. Get a call around 3pm, cars ready to pick up. So down I go only to be told there's nothing wrong with the clutch. YOU'VE GOT TO BE JOKING!!!. Gunna let hubby sort this one out so home I go with the car and still dodgy clutch and an hour or so later when he gets home I break the news to him. He heads straight back down to the service centre and says words to the effect "Who the hell inspected the car, your blind 1st day apprentice? There's clutch fluid every where!" Well sir, they say, we couldn't see any. Ok, says hubby, stick it up on the hoist and I'll show you. This is done and 2 minutes later there's a very red faced workshop manager. Now its too late in the day to repair so they need to keep the car overnight. OK, fine but we need a car...give us a loaner. Can't they say, they're all out. By this time hubby had about had enough and let them know it. Next thing, we were given a nice new demo Magna off the lot to drive around in. Oh yeah, after that incident, they never saw our Paj again.

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
http://www.users.bigpond.com/flatdog
AnswerID: 37009

Reply By: TonyT - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 18:22

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 18:22
Well probably enough stories by now, but here goes- took the Jackaroo to Holden dealer when auto warning light started flashing- 'can't find the codes, but maybe timing, will be $1500 for new this and that etc"- back to my usual bloke- David Vaughan Croydon Vic.- the next door autoelec. did 2 hours faultfinding- no luck- charged $20 then David checked timing, popped in a bearing there somewhere etc. and $200 later it's going prefectly again- moral: don't think the non-dealer can't fix it just because it's supposed to be all run by a computer. Still dreaming of that Landcruiser ute though...
AnswerID: 37044

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)