Australia's Great Thermal Way

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 22, 2011 at 22:24
ThreadID: 84556 Views:5814 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
On Monday I treated my wife to a day at the peninsular hot springs on the mornington peninsular. If anyone is travelling down that way and looking for something relaxing I would highly reccomend a day at the springs. We spent about 6 hours soaking in mineral hot springs, 1/2 hr in a private spa and 1 hr massage. Man am I in the good books. Must be time to buy some more fishing gear lol.
Anyway to the point of this thread. While there I bought a book called "Australia's Great Thermal Way" written by Steve Lambert. It lists mineral hot springs around Australia. When on our trip we really enjoyed stopping at the springs we found. After reading this book there are a few more I would like to go to. For those travelling would be worth a read.
Maybe people could list Hot springs they know of for people to stop off at. When I worked in Katherine I would go for a swim in the thermal pool then go to work, very relaxing.
Hot springs we stopped at were:
Hastings-Tassie, 28 degrees
Katherine-NT 32 degrees
Mataranka-NT 34 degrees
Dalhousie-SA 45 degrees
Coward-SA ??
Maybe the next trip could be planned around spring hopping. Just a tip though. Time your swim in hot springs. On the way to Dalhousie we were told by a lady not to bother going there as it is to hot and not worth it. She swam on a 45 degree day at 2 o'clock and hated it. We got there late arvo. We got up early in the morning and swam at 6 am. It was a wonderful way to start the day. The day we spent at peninsular hot springs it was raining and was absolutely amazing, better than on a hot day.

Josh

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Wednesday, Feb 23, 2011 at 09:00

Wednesday, Feb 23, 2011 at 09:00
Hi Josh,

Have a look here

Innot Hot Springs would have to be one of my favourite places.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 446354

Follow Up By: Member - A J- Wednesday, Feb 23, 2011 at 09:28

Wednesday, Feb 23, 2011 at 09:28
John and Val - there are also hot spring at Talaroo in Qld. The old drovers would use the spring to cook their legs of lamb the water was so hot. There is also a hot bore at Pilliga in NSW which has a swimming pool, showers, and camping ground just out of the village.

A J
FollowupID: 718707

Reply By: Bap - Wednesday, Feb 23, 2011 at 10:00

Wednesday, Feb 23, 2011 at 10:00
Hi Josh,
In the Francois National Park - WA, there is an artesian bore (not exactly a thermal spring) that has been sunk 540 metres and capped. The water comes out at 40 degrees and it quite nice to sit in and relax. It's near the old homestead which is worth a look around too.
Cheers
Michelle
AnswerID: 446358

Reply By: BAZZOOK - Wednesday, Feb 23, 2011 at 10:05

Wednesday, Feb 23, 2011 at 10:05
Usually stay at Moree caravan park. Think it's the Gwyder. It has half a dozen thermal pools. always nice after driving from melb.
The peninsula hot springs are much cheaper mid week
AnswerID: 446359

Follow Up By: Wayne David - Thursday, Feb 24, 2011 at 15:28

Thursday, Feb 24, 2011 at 15:28
This thread is timely for us as I'm trying to acquire information on hot springs.

Having enjoyed hot springs in NSW, USA & Japan, I thought it would be rather pleasant to try out as many as we can manage on a 3 month trek planned for this May that will see us in SA, NT, WA, Qld & NSW.

I can't help but feel there's a web site out there on OZ hot springs. Anyone know of one?

Cheers - Wayne
FollowupID: 718830

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Thursday, Feb 24, 2011 at 15:49

Thursday, Feb 24, 2011 at 15:49
Hi Wayne,

Dont know of a website, but perhaps after you have sampled a selection of hot springs you will write a blog on them for this site.

Cheers,

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 718834

Follow Up By: Member - Josh- Friday, Feb 25, 2011 at 14:24

Friday, Feb 25, 2011 at 14:24
Wayne David, the book mention above would be good for you, it lists about 40 hot springs around oz.
FollowupID: 718920

Follow Up By: Wayne David - Friday, Feb 25, 2011 at 16:29

Friday, Feb 25, 2011 at 16:29
Hi Guys,

John & Val - I might just have a crack at your suggestion. It could be fun. I've been to spa's in Oz, such as Piliga, and wonder why not more people patronise them. Moree is next on my list. IMHO hot spa's are an excellent way to relax. The Japanese certainly seem to worship them. But as they're an odd lot maybe that's no real recommendation.

Josh - My apologies. I scanned your post and completely missed your reference to the book 'Australia's Great Thermal Way' by Steve Lambert. In fact I thought you were having a lend with getting into the good books with the Missus , which of course is impossible ;) I'll start having a look for Steve Lambert's book asap. Thanks for that.

Cheers all - Wayne
FollowupID: 718922

Reply By: amy c - Thursday, Feb 24, 2011 at 12:43

Thursday, Feb 24, 2011 at 12:43
This post has been read by the moderation team and has been moderated due to a breach of The Spamming Rule .

Forum Moderation Team
AnswerID: 446433

Sponsored Links