We want to buy a 4 wheel drive

Submitted: Monday, Mar 18, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 849 Views:1576 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, Hope you can help.
THis is a 2 part question
1.My huband and i are coming out to Australia next year for a year.Idealy we would like to drive around Australia, we need a wagon that can carry all the necessary gear and that we can sleep in if necessary.What would you recommend.
2. Another option is to buy an ex MODlandrover defender,costing approx $8,500 (10yrs old) kitting it out and shipping it across (shipping cost approx £1200) but are unsure of the resale value in OZ. Also are spare parts readily available?
I would be grateful for any information you could give me and also any other links that would be of use.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Joe - Monday, Mar 18, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Mar 18, 2002 at 01:00

First of all, I hope you enjoy your trip around here – there are many beautiful places to see and much adventure to be had doing it. You might find parts of our country both flat/dry/boring and very lonely, especially after travelling out from the UK. Don’t judge these parts too hastily though – that feeling of being the only person for a “million miles” is part of the attraction and I am sure that once that feeling finds a home in your heart your biggest problem will be resigning yourself to going home!

Vehicles – Well this choice depends upon where you intend travelling. If you expect to never leave the bitumen or smooth dirt roads (and you can see SO much this way) then all you need is a Holden or Ford station wagon. However, as you have come onto a 4WD site I am assuming that you are expecting to see something rougher than the Birdsville Track and there I believe that the most appropriate vehicle would be a 75 Series Toyota LandCruiser. You can find these with camper conversions that will make your travelling life much easier. I personally prefer a LWB wagon and packing a tent, and if you chose to do the same thing then your choices multiply. Consider the LandCruiser, Patrol, Pajero and Jackeroo. All of them are strong contenders, and you might do well to concentrate on the diesel variants. The Cruiser and Patrol have greater off road capabilities, but as newbies to Australia I would counsel against travelling to the remote areas that might require their greater capabilities – it can be dangerous to work outside of your skills and knowledge.

As for shipping out your ex MOD Landy, well for the money we could certainly provide you with something newer, so you would be best saving your pounds and spending them here. Landies have the usual cult following here in Aussie, but are not regarded as the most reliable of vehicles. They are also painfully prone to dust ingress - not something to welcome here!

Hope to see you somewhere on the tracks.

AnswerID: 2419

Follow Up By: Julie - Tuesday, Mar 19, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Mar 19, 2002 at 01:00
Hi Joe, thanks for your reply. Your right, visit OZ and go home with a heart full of indecision. That's what happened the last time we visited (our friends said we we were the biggest pains in the proverbial for about three months). Part of the reason for this trip is either to lay those ghosts to rest or decide where we would like to live in the future.
Last time we were out we did a number of organisd 4WD excursions trips. We are not thinking of doing anything as wild as that but would like to get of the beaten track some times (nowhere to remote).
Where would be the best place to find a 75 converted to a camper.What price range would we be looking at for a semi-decent vehicle. I've never heard of the Pajero or the Jackeroo ( they may be called something else over here),Any useful links would be appreciated.
Thanks again
FollowupID: 892

Reply By: Trev - Monday, Mar 18, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Mar 18, 2002 at 01:00
Hi Julie, young friends of ours arrived from o/s and spent 8 1/2 months having a look at the place. They used a camper troopy on a buy back. They are now in NZ and sick of camping.
AnswerID: 2425

Follow Up By: Trev - Monday, Mar 18, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Mar 18, 2002 at 01:00
Hi Julie, we will be in UK next week driving a 1.2 litre Vauxhall Corsa. Don't think I'll take it off road.

FollowupID: 890

Follow Up By: Julie - Tuesday, Mar 19, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Mar 19, 2002 at 01:00
Hi Trev, Thanks for your reply. Firstly i hope you have a great time in the UK. If you're over on holiday make sure you visit Scotland, the hospitality will be great and the scenery in the highlands will take your breath away (yes i am scotish).In your reply you said about a camper troopy on a buy back. I'm not sure what that is Could you give me more details. Thanks.
FollowupID: 893

Reply By: Mike - Tuesday, Mar 19, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Mar 19, 2002 at 01:00
Julie, I really hope you enjoy your outback experience. Another option, used by many overseas visitors is to hire a vehicle. Britz have a selection of toyota 4X4 troopies, completely set up with everything you will need and advice as well. We have come across many Britz travellers, and all have seemed happy with the support given, including a dutch couple, who had just crossed the Simpson desert on their third trip to Australia. I don't know the costs involved, or if this would be an economic alternative, but it may be safer than taking your chances on a purchase vehicle, then trying to sell it on departure. (plus trying to get the right gear together.) Happy trails, Mike.
AnswerID: 2431

Follow Up By: Trev - Tuesday, Mar 19, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Mar 19, 2002 at 01:00
Mike - There is a small company in Melbourne doing the guaranteed buy back price thing. Very similar ro buying a car in France which can work out cheaper than hiring.

FollowupID: 899

Reply By: Alex - Tuesday, Mar 19, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Mar 19, 2002 at 01:00
part of this is in answer to your questions, part in follow-up to other responses.
In answer to your 2nd question, the only defenders sold out here are the 110's and 130's with either the 200Tdi or 300Tdi
motor. Resale value for a 1992 defender wagon would be approx $15 000. I have taken a variety of vehicles
including defenders on a variety of trips and IMHO they are more comfortable and use less fuel than most others.
I'm not sure what the Pajero is called in Europe but the Jackaroo is sold as Isuzu Trooper. Whatever way you decide to go,
petrol is cheaper in most capital cities and some major rural centres, but once you get a bit away from it all, you'll find diesel
cheaper than petrol. Hope this helps. Cheers, Alex
AnswerID: 2436

Reply By: Ken - Wednesday, Mar 20, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Mar 20, 2002 at 01:00
In the UK Pagero is called Mitsubishi Shogun. Regards Ken.
AnswerID: 2441

Reply By: Steve - Thursday, Mar 21, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Mar 21, 2002 at 01:00
Julie: try this site: www.travelcar.com.au they are in Sydney, appear to be a decent bunch of blokes (Swiss?) and have avariety of vehicles and am sure they will 'fit the bill' with a suitable vehicle... I have a no affiliation with them except I like to see them set up vehicles etc, they do them well ! They apparently combine with other similar operators in the West and are very busy !

AnswerID: 2456

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (11)