Electric Brakes

Submitted: Monday, Mar 14, 2011 at 10:28
ThreadID: 84985 Views:3024 Replies:8 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

I am hoping the wonderful caravan community can help me as I cannot find anything about this on equestrian forums. I am just getting into floating a horse for my young daughter and have spent a lot of time researching horse floats and I am having a new one made with all the safety features I feel are necessary to make floating as safe as it can possibly be. I now need to get electric brakes installed on my 4WD and this is where I need help. From advice and more research I have decided that the Tekonsha P3 looks like it will be the best one for us, but I am having trouble finding someone to install it. I live in Sydney near Hornsby. Can anyone recommend an auto electrician nearby who could do this work for me. I gather from reading your forums that many of you are very capable and have installed electric brakes yourself but I am unable to do this. Many thanks and sorry to gate crash your website but I am getting desperate.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Snoopyone - Monday, Mar 14, 2011 at 12:11

Monday, Mar 14, 2011 at 12:11
Any decent sparky should be able to do this as there are only 4 wires to hook up.

What vehicle do you have and has it got a towing loom on it and a towbar.

A Large round connector would be the best as the pins have a larger contact area so allow more voltage to the brakes from the car.

I would run a 6mm wire from the blue wire to the rear as most looms do not have heavy enough wire for the voltage required with a heavy trailer.

AnswerID: 448169

Follow Up By: Horsey Mum - Monday, Mar 14, 2011 at 18:49

Monday, Mar 14, 2011 at 18:49
Thanks for your advice. I have an Audi Q7 and it has a towbar already fitted. The float comes with a 7 pin flat plug and it is wired with battery supply wire in pin 2 of the plug. Evidentally some European cars have compatability problems with the float wiring, hence my homework now. The float maker has said I also need to check if I need a pulse module. Nothing is ever straight forward :)
FollowupID: 720552

Reply By: DBN05 (tas) - Monday, Mar 14, 2011 at 14:14

Monday, Mar 14, 2011 at 14:14
Hi
you could try Wooders Garage unit 1/29 Leighton Place Hornsby or give them a ring on 02 94774312.

Hope this helps you

harvey
I NEVER get lost, but don't i see a lot of NEW places.

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 448181

Follow Up By: Horsey Mum - Monday, Mar 14, 2011 at 18:45

Monday, Mar 14, 2011 at 18:45
Thank you - I will give them a try.
FollowupID: 720551

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Mar 15, 2011 at 08:48

Tuesday, Mar 15, 2011 at 08:48
Audi A7 are complicated which is why you're having an issue, and why your average autoelectrician won't touch them. From my lookking at the Audi forums, there is a chance that you will have a plug prewired under the dash for an electronic brake controller. If you do, then Audi should be able to supply the correct loom to wire up the Tekonsha.

If you don't then there may be issues. Do you have a factory fitted towbar, and do the electronics work on a normal trailer? If so, I'd guess it may be possible to use the brake wire that is at the trailer plug in the rear of the vehicle to attach the blue sensing wire from the Tekonsha, as this brake wire will have been through the complcated towing harness electronics.

I looked up the Aussie VW Watercooled forum and couldn't find any links regarding the Tekonska in an Audi.
Some links from the US:
Link 1
Link 2

I think your first port of call is the Audi dealer.

Cheers
Phil
AnswerID: 448281

Reply By: Member - John & Lil - Tuesday, Mar 15, 2011 at 08:54

Tuesday, Mar 15, 2011 at 08:54
I agree with the previous post. If you still have trouble getting an Auto Elec to wire your Audi I would firstly talk with the dealer you bought the Audi from and failing that, go to a major caravan dealer in your area and ask who they use. The people they use would have been exposed to many different installations. I hope this helps.
AnswerID: 448282

Reply By: Horsey Mum - Tuesday, Mar 15, 2011 at 09:08

Tuesday, Mar 15, 2011 at 09:08
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. At least I now have some more info to work with.
AnswerID: 448283

Reply By: Peter From Vic - Tuesday, Mar 15, 2011 at 15:35

Tuesday, Mar 15, 2011 at 15:35
l Have an Audi Q5 fitted with a P3 controller. There were no issues getting it installed. Used an auto electrician recommended by Audi Melbourne.
Car came pre wired with a plug under the dash on RHS. I am in Melbourne so unable to assist with recommendations.
AnswerID: 448325

Reply By: Horsey Mum - Monday, Apr 11, 2011 at 08:45

Monday, Apr 11, 2011 at 08:45
Thank you all for your advice and suggestions - it was very much appreciated. I ended up purchasing the Tekonsha P3 and after much phoning around and many "Nos" I found a wonderful auto electrician about 3 minutes from home (would you believe) who fits electric brakes to european cars and seems to know what he was talking about (compared to some who were very hesitant). It is getting done next week, the horse float is due in a couple of weeks so we are on track. So thanks again and if you ever see a navy Audi Q7 pulling a silver horse float with navy stripe - that's me!
Safe and happy travelling.
AnswerID: 450899

Reply By: snoopyone - Monday, Apr 11, 2011 at 15:24

Monday, Apr 11, 2011 at 15:24
Thank you for the update makes a nice change from the norm.

So many ask questions Dont say please or thank you and after getting the info Never return to let us know if we helped or not.
Makes us wonder if we should bother.

Good that you got it sorted (hopefully)

Cheers
AnswerID: 450935

Sponsored Links