Driving from Geelong to Phillip Island is there any ferries etc of do you need t

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 19, 2011 at 13:30
ThreadID: 85094 Views:11070 Replies:7 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, we are thinking of going from Geelong towards Phillip Island area and do we need to tow the van through Melbourne or are there ferries or bridges that go across the Mornington Peninsular? as Melbourne is bad enough to drive through anyway even without the van.
thanks from chris.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Tony (ACT) - Saturday, Mar 19, 2011 at 13:42

Saturday, Mar 19, 2011 at 13:42
Yes a ferry goes from Queenscliff. A nice trip with time for a cuppa.
AnswerID: 448647

Reply By: Member - Alan K (QLD) - Saturday, Mar 19, 2011 at 13:47

Saturday, Mar 19, 2011 at 13:47
Chris,

The only ferry service is from Queenscliffe around 25 km SE of Geelong which will take you across to Sorrento. You will need to check if they take vans but to my memory they do - but at a cost) Then you have to drive back across the Mornington Penninsula along Boneo Rd to Flinders, then Hastings then across to the South Gippsland Hwy, these are relatively good roads for towing a van. There are plenty of tourist information places to give you the best road to take to get to Hastings. (size of van will be the telling factor)This is the tourist route and there are heaps of excellent wineries and caravan parks on th Penninsula.

However, if you choose the time of day right, not peak hours, you can travel from Geelong across the Westgate Bridge and onto the Monash Freeway thru the Domain Tunnel (pay the toll in advance thru Eastlink - 135465). This links up to the South Gippsland Hwy and Phillip Island. Excellent divided road most of the way, just watch for lots of speed cameras.

If you leave Geelong around ten you will miss the morning and afternoon peak, miss most of Melbourne's busy roads because you are on freeways nearly all the way, and be at Phiilip Island well before the afternoon peak.

AnswerID: 448648

Reply By: gonebush SA - Saturday, Mar 19, 2011 at 13:56

Saturday, Mar 19, 2011 at 13:56
thanks for that i just looked up the ferries website and it looks like that will be the way to go for us as if we catch the ferry between 7-8am the van is only $22 doesn't matter on it's size so savng a fair bit of $$, and it will be something different to do on the trip anyway.
thanks from chris
AnswerID: 448649

Follow Up By: Member - Tony (ACT) - Saturday, Mar 19, 2011 at 16:32

Saturday, Mar 19, 2011 at 16:32
When you get off the ferry keep left and follow the signs to the FWY. Head north and take the T/O to Hastings/Gippsland HWY. There will be a bit of traffic that time in the morning all going like bat out of hell to get to work.
FollowupID: 720898

Reply By: Member - geelong gypsies - Saturday, Mar 19, 2011 at 18:12

Saturday, Mar 19, 2011 at 18:12
If you're not worried about time or money then take the ferry from Queenscliff, however it would be quicker to drive from Geelong even with the van. I'm only new at the game but my inlaws live at Phillip Island and I live in Geelong, we've done it a couple of times and it's a pretty easy run. As others have said just don't leave Geelong until 9 or 10 am and avoid the rush.
AnswerID: 448663

Follow Up By: Member - geelong gypsies - Saturday, Mar 19, 2011 at 18:13

Saturday, Mar 19, 2011 at 18:13
I should have said that it will be quicker and easier to just drive from Geelong.
FollowupID: 720908

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce Y (Vic) - Sunday, Mar 20, 2011 at 22:24

Sunday, Mar 20, 2011 at 22:24
I'm not sure when you last done the trip but I've been to Melbourne three times in the last month and with the roadworks on the Westgate the traffic from Geelong over the bridge has been fairly heavy and slow for most of the day.
Last trip on the way in (approx 10:00am) we took the old Geelong road rather than the Westgate as the traffic was banked back to before the ring road, on the way out (approx 2:00pm) we used the bridge but the traffic going in was still banked well back and only crawling.

FollowupID: 721036

Follow Up By: Member - geelong gypsies - Wednesday, Mar 23, 2011 at 10:35

Wednesday, Mar 23, 2011 at 10:35
Did it yesterday, albeit not with the van on the back but with a trailer. I left Geelong at 10:40am and had a dream run the whole way through. Only slight delay was approaching the Island where they're duplicating the road.

I used to be in the Navy and was stationed at HMAS Cerberus for awhile, I often used to drive from there to Phillip Island and it used to amuse me that I could see the island but had to drive right around the bay to get to it It took almost an hour. I also used to regularly drive from Cerberus to West Head down at Flinders, this took around 1/2 an hour so by my reckoning Sorrento would take longer. I would think with a van in tow it could be approaching 2hrs to drive from Sorrento to Phillip Island plus whatever time is taken up with loading and unloading from the ferry and the actually steaming time.

Like I initially posted, if you're not worried about time or cost I'd go on the ferry. It would be beautiful on a nice day. I think it would probably just be quicker to drive straight from Geelong.
FollowupID: 721322

Reply By: Member -Outback Mac C (VIC) - Saturday, Mar 19, 2011 at 22:22

Saturday, Mar 19, 2011 at 22:22
We live on the Mornington Peninsula and would not think of driving around via Geelong with the big van on the back. We always use the ferry, (7am or 8am) when we are heading west. We are off to Port Fairy on Tuesday and we will roll up to the ferry, have a cuppa on board then skirt around Geelong with no hassles. Unfortunately coming back we always have to pay the full fare as we are always later in the day!!
Enjoy the Peninsula,
Cheers Mac
AnswerID: 448677

Reply By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Sunday, Mar 20, 2011 at 07:37

Sunday, Mar 20, 2011 at 07:37
If you have a Garmin Nuvi GPS it will know the way for you.

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 448691

Reply By: gonebush SA - Sunday, Mar 20, 2011 at 11:55

Sunday, Mar 20, 2011 at 11:55
hi, so would Geelong be the closest caravan park to the ferry?, and about how long does it take or how many klms is Geelong to getting on the ferry?, as i was thinking of staying the night at the closest spot to the ferry getting on the road early and hopefully getting the ferry at 7am and that way we should in theory miss a lot of the traffic, does that sound right? and do we need to book the ferry or just rock up?
thanks for the help so far from chris.
AnswerID: 448719

Follow Up By: wendys - Sunday, Mar 20, 2011 at 13:41

Sunday, Mar 20, 2011 at 13:41
There's a couple of caravan parks at Queenscliff. One of these is a Big 4.
FollowupID: 720973

Sponsored Links