Boggy Hole Feedback

How serious is the heavy sand on the way into Bobby Hole. We have an 07 unlifted rodeo.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: cookie1 - Saturday, Mar 19, 2011 at 15:17

Saturday, Mar 19, 2011 at 15:17
If you have driven in sand before, own a good compressor, tyre gauge & know how to use them you should be OK. We went through in 2006 the Ranger, who is based at Palm Valley and is a top bloke, commented that he pulls about 6 people out a week - turns them around and sends them back from where they came. You had to speak and register with the ranger before you go through - he will ask a few questions and if he thinks you're OK will let you through. I think it is great for your own safety.
AnswerID: 448653

Follow Up By: Member - Simza - Saturday, Mar 19, 2011 at 15:28

Saturday, Mar 19, 2011 at 15:28
Yes to all your comments and all good sense. Our load should be lighter by the time we get to that point too which helps; enough weight to help with traction. Is there much traffic through there in the dry?
FollowupID: 720892

Follow Up By: Hairy (WA) - Saturday, Mar 19, 2011 at 15:37

Saturday, Mar 19, 2011 at 15:37
There wouldnt be too many days that you dont get a vehicle down the track........somedays dozens (especially long weekends and holidays)
FollowupID: 720894

Reply By: Hairy (WA) - Saturday, Mar 19, 2011 at 15:34

Saturday, Mar 19, 2011 at 15:34
Gday,
It really is more to do with your ability than the vehicles.
The sand is softer in hot weather so it depends on when you go as to how soft it will be and it does get quicksandy after a flow.
Sometimes the wheel tracks can get fairly deep so that can be a problem but if your used to that there is no reason you cant do it.

Cheers

Ps. you dont need to see the Ranger to drive through the main track and I wouldnt make a habbit of asking to go through their access road from Palm Valley.
AnswerID: 448655

Follow Up By: cookie1 - Saturday, Mar 19, 2011 at 19:06

Saturday, Mar 19, 2011 at 19:06
When we went to Palm Valley back in 2006 there was a sign specifically stating that if you wanted to go through you must speak to the ranger, it may well have been removed by now as that was 5 years ago. As I said, he mentioned he pulled out about 6 people a week and figure he's got better things to do than extricate people. I guess if you're not going into Palm Valley you wouldn't see that sign anyway.

If I'm going off road I do try to seek up to date info and also carry a UHF & HF Radio as well as the usual recovery gear but I guess I am just cautious or maybe I've just read too many incidents.

BTW We travelled the main track not any "special" track - didn't know there was one.

We thoroughly enjoyed the trip it was fantastic really beautiful areas.
FollowupID: 720914

Follow Up By: Hairy (WA) - Saturday, Mar 19, 2011 at 19:26

Saturday, Mar 19, 2011 at 19:26
Gday Cookie,
Ive recently moved from Alice where I lived most of my life and have never seen that sign in the 50 odd times Ive been through, but that doesnt mean there isnt one as I usually take a short cut and might have missed it if it is at the start? The track Im talking about goes from the rangers at PV through to the junction of Ellery Creek and the Finke and is a service track for the rangers only.
Great drive isnt it.

Cheers
FollowupID: 720916

Follow Up By: cookie1 - Saturday, Mar 19, 2011 at 20:19

Saturday, Mar 19, 2011 at 20:19
Didn't get to drive through that section - the Ranger didn't mention it, we went back out to Hermansberg and down that way through to Ernest Giles Road. We still have a great laugh at the fact we camped at Boggy Hole on the only bit of grass that happened to be in the middle of the road/track. We saw 2 vehicles that came through and had plenty of room to get around.

I would love to go back and do it again as the facilities in the NT compared to here in SA are fantastic - they really know a thing or 2 about tourism that SA Government should learn for the outback tourist.

I cannot remember for the life of me the Rangers name he was a fairly young guy (late 20's early 30's) maybe he put it up as an act of despair. The drive was fairly easy apart for a little bit of really soft stuff between Illamurta & Ernest Giles.

Hairy you are certainly one very lucky person to live in such a fantastic place

Cheers

Colin
FollowupID: 720919

Reply By: Member - Ross G (NT) - Sunday, Mar 20, 2011 at 03:23

Sunday, Mar 20, 2011 at 03:23
Simza,
How soon are you thinking of going into Boggy Hole. At the moment the tracks to Boggy Hole and Palm Valley are closed. Also Ernest Giles is closed. The NT government have just passed legislation that has raised the fine for travelling on closed roads from $50 to $13,300. So until it finally stops raining we are a little restricted on the places we can get to. Coming to work tonight Roe Creek was very high and this crosses Larapinta Drive which is the road to Hermannsburg and that is all the ways to Boggy Hole taken care of. Sorry.
AnswerID: 448690

Follow Up By: Member - Simza - Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 17:11

Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 17:11
We wont be there until early July so things will have time to dry out by then. We plan to do the Anne Beadell from Coober Pedy(19/6) to Laverton and head back up the Great Outback Road, Sandy Blight Junction track and Gary Junction track and then down towards Boggy Hole before heading back into Alice to clean up/re-stock/service etc. Thanks for the update. Yes, local and current information will be what we need when we get into the area before heading in there. Probably will be two vehicles going through with us too.
FollowupID: 721115

Follow Up By: Member - Simza - Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 17:16

Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 17:16
We wont be there until early July so things will have time to dry out by then. We plan to do the Anne Beadell from Coober Pedy(19/6) to Laverton and head back up the Great Outback Road, Sandy Blight Junction track and Gary Junction track and then down towards Boggy Hole before heading back into Alice to clean up/re-stock/service etc. Thanks for the update. Yes, local and current information will be what we need when we get into the area before heading in there. Probably will be two vehicles going through with us too.
FollowupID: 721117

Sponsored Links