Roads Less Travelled, or are they

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 19, 2011 at 20:35
ThreadID: 85102 Views:3041 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Looking at OziExplorer on my computer and working out the roads to follow on a trek and was surprised at the amount of roads (dirt roads/could be tracks) every where. Some of these roads may be just as interesting as all the great desert tracks, I was looking mainly in Central Western Qld, I was looking at Aramac and going out to Lake Dunn and noticed if you continued along this road you can get to Pentland via Lake Gallie and Lake Buchanan. It also travels along side Cape River which ends up in Lake Dalrmpie.
So how many of us do journeys of this type? and if so have you found that great camp site, where most likely your on private property but it is not a problem. So if you have NatMap get it on and check out some of these roads/tracks. So if you have been on some of theses roads less travelled please let us all know.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rossc0 - Sunday, Mar 20, 2011 at 02:41

Sunday, Mar 20, 2011 at 02:41
"Aramac and going out to Lake Dunn and noticed if you continued along this road you can get to Pentland via Lake Gallie and Lake Buchanan. "

Can't be done tried it.

Like many of these roads the gazetted road is not always there or if it is it's private property and your likely to get shot.

For example have a look here:

Lake Dunn @ OpenStreetMap

These are the roads that are accessible in the Lake Dunn area and are from gps surveys. Some of them are mine eg the road from Aramac to Lake Dunn to Laglan to Belyando crossing to Mount Coolon to Bowen.

Lake Dunn is a great camp ground but not on weekends and not during school holidays.

Cheers
Ross
AnswerID: 448689

Reply By: Mick O - Sunday, Mar 20, 2011 at 10:39

Sunday, Mar 20, 2011 at 10:39
Got to reiterate what Rosco has said.

Many of the “roads” shown on the Natmap are the legacy of survey works etc done when the maps were first compiled. These either no longer exist or have been absorbed into properties and are cut by boundary fences. I tried a Tracks less travelled in Outback NSW north of Wentworth and found all sorts of difficulties. I am continuously amazed as to what actually shows up as a major road on the Natmaps, particularly in the outback areas. According to the Natmaps, you’d reckon the Great sandy Desert was crossed or skirted by roads everywhere. The ground based realities are very different. I like your thinking and it's a train of thought I subscribe to myself but I'd urge caution when relying on the Natmaps in a lot of those outback situations

This blog outlines a few of the difficulties we had on that "roads less travelled" trip.

Exploring the Darling Annabranch - Nearie Lakes Reserve

Cheers Mick

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 448709

Reply By: Member - Michael P (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 20, 2011 at 11:16

Sunday, Mar 20, 2011 at 11:16
Bruce,
Guess they are saying there could be a few "bommies" in the way.
Mike.
AnswerID: 448714

Reply By: get outmore - Sunday, Mar 20, 2011 at 12:47

Sunday, Mar 20, 2011 at 12:47
yea agreed

sometimes you find a great track through the middle of nowhere

and sometimes all you see is locked gates and bleep off or die sighns and sometimes the track just fails to continue

by all means have a go but make sure you have back up plans for access
AnswerID: 448726

Reply By: Isuzumu - Sunday, Mar 20, 2011 at 13:04

Sunday, Mar 20, 2011 at 13:04
I probably should have put "as an example". And this is what feedback I was after, We tried to take a short cut from Wandoan to Durong South on our way home once and run into the locked gate situation.
But there may be some tracks out there that are open, it would be great info to have.
Rossco I do not think they are allowed to shoot you any more, but out there they might and no body would find you hahahahaha.

AnswerID: 448729

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Sunday, Mar 20, 2011 at 13:53

Sunday, Mar 20, 2011 at 13:53
Hi Bruce,

Heres another example - tried to take a track that is shown on Natmaps north of Yunta (SA) from Curnomona across to Erudina. After about 5km came to a fence, not even a locked gate. Wasted a bit of time scouting around for a way forward but eventually had no choice but to go back to the "main" road. On the map the fenced off road looks the same as the main road.

But sometimes you can get lucky and find an old track that is useful if only for an overnight camp. We have found some good camp spots that way.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 720974

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Sunday, Mar 20, 2011 at 14:14

Sunday, Mar 20, 2011 at 14:14
Bruce,

Just south of Wandoan take the Downfall creek road, which then joins the Old Chinchilla Road. From there travel south east until the start of the Archinals Stock Route (Stock Route is about 5km long), turn south onto Pelham Rd then east onto Hookswood-Pelham rd follow the formed road south until you hit the Ryalla - Hookswood Stock route (turn East) folow the track until you get to Ryalls Rd intersection turn South, Ryalls Rd ends when it intersects the Warrego Highway just West of the Colombulla creek ;)

That should get you sufficiantly lost for your next trip ;)

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 720977

Follow Up By: Isuzumu - Sunday, Mar 20, 2011 at 14:38

Sunday, Mar 20, 2011 at 14:38
Now you tell me Kev!!!!

I will have to ask my brother about that road past Lake Dunn as he shore around there in the 60's and 70's and find out what properties he shore at and how they got there.
FollowupID: 720979

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Sunday, Mar 20, 2011 at 14:50

Sunday, Mar 20, 2011 at 14:50
When you visit next remind me to give you the maps for the shire ;)

I have a 160+ page book of local road maps in the work car, which shows the standard of road ie seal main road, unsealed main road, sealed road, unsealed road, road reserve, stock routes etc ;)

Very handy to have when exploring the Chinchilla region :)

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 720982

Follow Up By: Isuzumu - Sunday, Mar 20, 2011 at 17:08

Sunday, Mar 20, 2011 at 17:08
Very good Kev, ge this site is slow today
FollowupID: 720996

Sponsored Links