Road conditions around Alice/Red Centre

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 31, 2011 at 12:42
ThreadID: 85335 Views:2407 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
First trip to the Red Centre next week. Just wondering after recent rain what are the roads like? We'll be doing the usual highlights including the Mereenie Loop if conditions allow. Any updates? I have looked at the "Road Report Website" which says water over the road but hasn't moved from that in two weeks and I've been keeping an eye on the weather which shows nice sunny days for quite a while now.

Advice appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ross G (NT) - Thursday, Mar 31, 2011 at 14:28

Thursday, Mar 31, 2011 at 14:28
Steve,
The bitumen roads have some damage to the river crossings but are no problem we went to Ormiston Gorge on road bikes last weekend. The gravel roads are another matter. The have sustained a lot of damage and any floodway or river crossing should be approached with caution. There is alot of water in all the gorges and the Finke is running well out at Glen Helen. Haven't been to the East since all the rain but I believe that Trephina Gorge is looking great. What vehicle are you driving and how long will you be around. I do shift work so don't have regular weekends drop me a PM if you would like to catch up. The fine for travelling on a closed road has recently gone from $50 to $13,300 so it doesn't pay to ignore them. Used to be quite a problem before.
Ross
AnswerID: 449844

Follow Up By: Steve M1 (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 31, 2011 at 15:20

Thursday, Mar 31, 2011 at 15:20
thanks Ross

I will be driving a Prado having just sold the old Defender.

I was hoping to do the Loop even though towing a van with reasonable clearance. I was prepared to take the usual precautions of low tyre pressures and take it easy. We'll only be around for two weeks and were thinking of going via the Loop from Kings Creek Station to Redbank/Glen Helen (or t'other way around) but maybe not if it's that bad. Don't know if thre are river crossings along there but I wouldn't push my luck and I wouldn't ignore notices. Shame really as it would've worked in better with the itinary, such as it is.

Must've greened up a bit then?

I'll send a PM nearer the time - thanks
FollowupID: 722240

Follow Up By: Member - Ross G (NT) - Thursday, Mar 31, 2011 at 17:06

Thursday, Mar 31, 2011 at 17:06
If you are a bushwalker there is a climb to the top of Mt. Sonder from Redbank Gorge that is about 6-7 hours return and has some amazing views.
Ross
FollowupID: 722253

Reply By: Member - Ross G (NT) - Thursday, Mar 31, 2011 at 17:03

Thursday, Mar 31, 2011 at 17:03
Steve,
If you are going in to Kings Canyon/Kings Ck Station (which is the better place to stay) then they should have a good idea what the Loop is like. I believe the Finke Crossing at Hemmansburg has some damage but is passable. At the moment the road into Palm Valley is closed but may open by the time you are coming up. Would be great with all the water through there. Things do dry out pretty quick up here but it also takes some time for the damage to be repaired. Hopefully you will be able to get to all the places you want. Yes it is VERY green everywhere at the moment. We are enjoying a break from the rain finally and are back to the magnificent blue sky days. We will be going to Perth on the 15th April so if you are here before then looking forward to meeting you.
Ross
AnswerID: 449875

Follow Up By: BrownyGU - Thursday, Mar 31, 2011 at 22:54

Thursday, Mar 31, 2011 at 22:54
Hi Ross,

(sorry for hijack)

Wich way will you be heading to Perth?We will be heading to WA (eventually Esperance) via the Great Central Road, probably a bit before you, do you know of this roads current condition?

Cheers.....Browny
FollowupID: 722322

Follow Up By: Member - Ross G (NT) - Friday, Apr 01, 2011 at 17:30

Friday, Apr 01, 2011 at 17:30
Browny,
This time we are taking the no corrugations route, 30,000ft up. Haven't been on the GCR for a while but there has been a lot of flooding and damage recently. Maybe the CLC site can give you some info. You can get the permits on their site I believe.
Ross
FollowupID: 722462

Sponsored Links