Mt Plantagenet Flinders Ranges

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 06, 2011 at 20:13
ThreadID: 85473 Views:2884 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,
I have heard about a trek to the top of Mt Plantagenet in theFlinders Ranges. It is situated east of Hawker. I have googled "Mt Plantagenet" and searched Treks and Places here with little success on track details. It is situated at - S 31.88376 E138.6819

Has anyone done this track or can supply details of it

Cheers
Terry

Image Could Not Be Found
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2011 at 21:27

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2011 at 21:27
The track to the top is marked on my Hema Map (Flinders Ranges) - via Worumba Homestead (a sheep station with tourism facilities) - 08 8648 4937 - [ http://www.worumba.com ]
AnswerID: 450536

Reply By: Rick (S.A.) - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2011 at 22:18

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2011 at 22:18
'Easy' rated 4wd track. Has other drives as well, none of which are hard core.

Probably the second highest driveable peak in the Flinders Ranges (Mt Caernavon on Willow Springs Station/Skytrek may be a tad higher). The peak is very prominent as you drive north from Cradock, or from Quorn towards Hawker. From the summit you can see south west over to Mt Arden; down to Devils Peak & Mt Brown (both south & past Quorn); northwest to the magnificent Elder Range with Mt Aleck as its northern most peak; and of course north-nor-west to the Wilpena Pound ramparts. In other words, a unique view of the Flinders region - just as the photo in the post suggests.

Worumba is a great location, as it is an hour or more south of the Wilpena & the central Flinders region, thereby saving en-route driving time.

Excellent shearers quarters, or many isolated camping sites if that takes your fancy.

For the life of my I can't work out why more people are not talking about and visiting this station. (no affiliation, etc..).

Cheers

Rick
AnswerID: 450543

Sponsored Links