Fraser Island Question.

Submitted: Saturday, Nov 15, 2003 at 21:47
ThreadID: 8548 Views:3983 Replies:9 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hey Guys,

Hope this aint a time waster, but im heading to Fraser Island on the 23rd of November and I havent been before. I'll be there for 5 days and Im getting some conflicting information on certain things? Im going to try and camp relativly remote as I'm in dire need of a weeks kicking back, so Im wondering can you light fires on Fraser and is there wood readily availible? Another thing Im wondering about is FOOD. I dont have a camper fridge or anything like it, probably best case scenario would be an esky? What sort of food do I have access to on Fraser apart from the fish I catch? Can I buy snags for a camp fire and things like that?

Cheers, Jay
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Nov 16, 2003 at 00:12

Sunday, Nov 16, 2003 at 00:12
Hire a fridge!
AnswerID: 37446

Reply By: Phil P - Sunday, Nov 16, 2003 at 02:31

Sunday, Nov 16, 2003 at 02:31
Hi Jay,

We camped on the beach behind a sand dune, very remote & private. I collected firewood from the official firewood collection area's & took it back to our campsite to cook with. There was a few places to buy the basic's in terms of food. We were on Fraser in May (2003).

Enjoy
Phil P
AnswerID: 37453

Reply By: Allan 2 (Pilbara) - Sunday, Nov 16, 2003 at 06:57

Sunday, Nov 16, 2003 at 06:57
Jay
Esky's are no worries. All the shops up there sell ice and in November it shouldn't be too busy so there should be plenty. I'd say take as much food with you as you can. Maybe try the dry ice theory, it would be great for only 5 days. Shops are great for bread milk etc. The best spot we ever had was north of Orchid beach and just north of Ocean lake but the rules may have changed since I was there last, but in Nov you should have plenty of options, Unless those ranger gumbie's have stuffed it all up. Good luck. Don't rely on catching enough fish to feed yourself.
AnswerID: 37454

Reply By: Brian - Sunday, Nov 16, 2003 at 08:23

Sunday, Nov 16, 2003 at 08:23
Jay
We just had 5 days on Fraser in late October. There was a fire ban in place at the time, so it was the gas stove for cooking etc. Shops at Eurong and Orchid Beach have good supplies. As Truckster said you could hire a fridge... having camped with esky and fridge at different times, I would never go back to an esky... If you haven't been to Fraser before, make sure you read all the literature in the permit pack, and prepare for paradise!!!!!! :-)
It's a very unique place ... keep an eye out for the "rent-a-troopy" backpacker's though....
I have a trip report and some pics, click here
Have a good trip!!!
Cheers
Brian
AnswerID: 37459

Follow Up By: Brian - Sunday, Nov 16, 2003 at 08:30

Sunday, Nov 16, 2003 at 08:30
Bugger....
I didn't do the link properly....
I can hear David and Truckster laughing from here!!!!! :-)

Try this one try this one

cheers
Brian
FollowupID: 27129

Follow Up By: Brian - Sunday, Nov 16, 2003 at 08:32

Sunday, Nov 16, 2003 at 08:32
Ok... that one works... Settle down guys.. you can ALL stop laughing now!! :-)

Click the link and go to the menu page, then trip stuff or the pics page

Cheers
Brian
FollowupID: 27130

Reply By: wally - Sunday, Nov 16, 2003 at 08:59

Sunday, Nov 16, 2003 at 08:59
Gday jay,
Just a couple of ideas,
If you are camping remotely you won't want to be driving to one of the townships to buy supplies each day. Not sure how many in your group but to buy meat will be expensive and extremly limited in choice, not to mention the $1.20 - $1.30/l fuel used to get there. We have good quality fiberglass esky which we place home made block ice into and also frozen croiovac(?) meat before we go. The butcher says this should last up to a month at fridge temp so five days on ice will be fine. Pre-island purchased long life milk with the screw on lid and you can also buy long life non refridgerated bait from bigw/kmat etc.You could take some tinned vegies and tinned meals for conveinece. Free firewood collection is available at the major campgrounds as well as drinking water and 50c (heard a rumour $1) hot showers.On surf beach pippies for bait are easy to get at low tide and if you want a challenge try for some beach worms. Hope you enjoy your stay and good luck with the fishing.
wal
AnswerID: 37461

Reply By: mudgutz - Sunday, Nov 16, 2003 at 14:20

Sunday, Nov 16, 2003 at 14:20
.....take your gas cooker as you never know when theres gonna be a fire ban and carting wood from the piles available is a pain....take all your food as well as the shops there are expensive......shop owners have armour suits and answer to the name ned..tee he
make sure you put all your rubbish away cause the dingos will make a bloody big mess of it and the rangers go spare as metioned watch out for the backpackers in hire troopies and also that clown who drives the big rfw rubbish truck he thinks he owns the bloody island and will run you into the weeds .......on the fridge issue you can go five days on dry ice on fraser i have heaps of times ......not for much longer however the minister for finance is finally letting me get a fridge
enjoy yourself mate its a great place.......mmm memories of tailor fillets cut into strips and dipped in curry batter....yummo
AnswerID: 37474

Reply By: friar - Sunday, Nov 16, 2003 at 19:59

Sunday, Nov 16, 2003 at 19:59
Hi Jay
I came home from fraser on friday ,there is atotal wood fire ban
on the island at the moment ,buy a quality esky baileys or evercool
you can get block ice to last 5 days or more depending on the amount
of hot tinnies you drink daily. get your meat vac packed Head for
sandy cape and you will just about have the whole place to yourself
Friar
AnswerID: 37495

Reply By: Member - Jack - Sunday, Nov 16, 2003 at 20:51

Sunday, Nov 16, 2003 at 20:51
Cryovac meat can be purchased from the butchers that is in the street behnd the supermarket in Gymie as you head up. The street I mean runs parallel with the Bruce highway. Can't remember the name of the street unfortuntely, but his stuff is good. There is a fruit shop in that block as well.
Fraser? A marvellour place - you will not regret going. Have a great time.
JackNo trees were harmed in the making or sending of this message.
However a great number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
AnswerID: 37501

Reply By: Member - Rohan K - Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 16:52

Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 16:52
Jay, there's some good advice here, but also do an archive search as there have been many previous threads about Fraser.

BTW, we use a 60 litre EvaKool esky and had block ice (we make our own) last more than 7 days with judicious control over the frequency of openning the lid.

Take particular note of the "be Dingo wise" instructions, particulary about securing your campsite/food/garbage etc.

Oh, and don't camp all the way up at Sandy Cape - its too far from everything you'll want to see. Pick a spot behind the dunes on the eastern beach in the middle 1/3 of the Island.Smile, you're on ExplorOz
Rohan (Sydney - on the QLD side of the Harbour Bridge)
AnswerID: 37569

Sponsored Links