Terracan-Back from first trip

Submitted: Sunday, Nov 16, 2003 at 21:30
ThreadID: 8562 Views:1970 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Arrived back home today after my first trip in the new Terracan. Left Bathurst with 174kms on the clock towing my Camp-O-Matic Camper 2 weeks ago. Arrived back with 3392 Kms on the clock. I know it is only 2 weeks old but it went like a baby on the whole trip. Bathurst to Wangarratta to Melbourne (for the Cup) to Ballaratt to Halls Gap and back home. Done some 4wd tracks in the Grampians (a beautiful part of the country) and I was like a kid with a new toy. Very happy with the Terracan so far and it towed the camper on the open highway at 110KPH with no problems at all. It is a bit thirsty but I expected that and the fact that it is only brand new. For a big guy (I'm 140Kgs) I find it very comfortable and compared to the Commodore I had it performs extremely well. I hope I will be a happy owner in the future as I have noticed a few on this forum seem to put sh-t on the Terracan but I think that from I read on this forum most of the critics have never owned a 4WD. It was thanks to advice I got from the sensible people who use this forum that helped me decide on the Terracan. I got comments like "Get a REAL 4WD" but I had a budget to stick to and I feel sure I made the right decision. I certainly didn't see too many Terracans on the road (Only 1 in fact). I hope I am still saying this in 12 months time.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bob - Sunday, Nov 16, 2003 at 21:46

Sunday, Nov 16, 2003 at 21:46
Brian,
its good to get some first hand info on one of the less prevalent marques. I think towing anything at 110 is going to chew the juice.Bob
AnswerID: 37508

Reply By: Martin - Sunday, Nov 16, 2003 at 22:42

Sunday, Nov 16, 2003 at 22:42
Good to hear that you're happy with your choice Brian. Not sure what you mean by a bit thirsty but if you were getting 15l/100 or better then that would be quite acceptable. Not sure if towing at such low mileage was a great idea by the way. I always like to get a few more on the clock before adding the strain of a trailer. It should improve as it gets "run in".
AnswerID: 37517

Reply By: floyd - Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 11:33

Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 11:33
Aint nothin like running in a new motor for 3,000 kms with a camper. Yep the engine will be in real great shape for years to come now. Does wonders for the internals. Yup
AnswerID: 37526

Follow Up By: Matt M - Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 17:19

Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 17:19
Dont start that debate, its been raging on for years.

Nearly as emotive as the Landrover debate.

Have you ever heard the expression 'run it in the way you will drive it'?

There are just as many arguments for not having run in periods, most cars engines are already run in on Dynos befoire they leave the factory, so it makes ur rethoric a little factless.

FollowupID: 27208

Reply By: pathfinder - Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 12:41

Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 12:41
The Terracan has a good motor and probably isn't a bad machine for a soft-roader. However, I think anyone who is in the market for a budget luxury medium duty 4WD would be hard-pressed to look past the Kia Sorrento - has a separate chassis, reasonable wheel articulation and looks pretty good too...almost tempted to buy one myself...
AnswerID: 37536

Follow Up By: Brian - Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 20:11

Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 20:11
Just to clarify a few things about the Terracan. My wife shares the driving with me (aren't I lucky) and believe it or not she could not even see the bonnett on the Sorrento. She is a little short on one end so it was important that she could see the front of the car. I'm not knocking the Sorrento as I thought it to be a great vehicle, just no good for my family needs. After her sitting in every 4WD at the Sydney Motor Show it was another factor that made the Terracan our choice.
This crap about not towing at such low Km's (not your comment) then from my experience of over 35 years of driving and owning about 10 brand new vehicles the best thing you can do is run them in hard but sensible. The Commodore I just traded had 54 kilometres on it when I towed my camper for 5000 Kms. Admittidly it only had done a total of 22000 kms when I just traded it but it went like a charm from the word go. The local Hyundai dealer where I got the Terracan from said towing straight away will do the car more good than harm. Just do it sensibily and you will have no worries. Also I wasn't complaining about the fuel consumption as I expected it to be a bit harsh so new. It was just a general comment.
Still a happy owner after 3 weeks:)
FollowupID: 27222

Reply By: Member - Geoff & Karen - Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 22:33

Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 22:33
mmmmmmmmmmm Brian, lets see if you say the same thing in 12 months time...
Best of luck, you will need it
KarenKind Regards
Karen & Geoff
(Happy holidaying)
AnswerID: 37600

Sponsored Links