driving from Sorrento vic. to Lang Land Vic. what is the traffic / roads like??

Submitted: Sunday, May 08, 2011 at 08:48
ThreadID: 86133 Views:2830 Replies:10 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
hi, we are planning a trip to the Gippslands and are trying to workout the best way to go towing a caravan, to avoid traffic hassles. we are thinking of going on the ferry to Sorrento but what is the road like for towing a van up to Lang Lang, is it very built up? or can anyone suggest a better way, we are coming from SA. and we have done the great Ocean road a few times so not necessary to go on there again.
thanks from Chris.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tim Owen - Sunday, May 08, 2011 at 09:52

Sunday, May 08, 2011 at 09:52
If you are thinking of taking the ferry just to avoid traffic (avoid Melbourne), there is really nothing to worry about (says an ex South Australian who has lived in Melb and now lives in Gippsland). I think you'd be better off sticking to the freeway and coming straight over the westgate, down the monash fwy (stay in the right hand lanes and go stright through following the signs to the "SE suburbs") and then one turn onto the South Gippsland Highway. You will need to get a day pass from CityLink to cover the tolls - but it is an easy run.

If you are doing it because you want the opportunity to visit the mornington peninsula (wineries etc) then go for it, there is no problem with the road that way for towing a caravan - but there will be some slower sections as you pass through the built up areas and hills of the peninsula. It might be a nicer drive to go over to Red Hill and then up the other side of the peninsula if you want to escape the masses.

Enjoy the trip.
AnswerID: 453601

Follow Up By: Jeffie - Sunday, May 08, 2011 at 11:20

Sunday, May 08, 2011 at 11:20
Chris,
I agree - use the freeways, over the Westgate Bridge and through the Burnley Tunnel, much easier, just follow the signs.
To get to Lang Lang you will need to turn off the Monash (veer left) as you approach Dandenong - follow the signs to Cranbourne and Phillip Island.
All roads are good and freeway traffic will only be a problem between 7am and 10am and 3pm and 7pm so try not to be on there then.
From Dandenong (South Gippsland Highway) to Lang Lang it is all dual lane with a bit of a hold up going through Cranbourne.
Bring your winter woollies as its getting very cold over here.

Going via Sorrento would be a bit of a pain (traffic, minor roads etc) and only if you really, really, wanted to do so. It would also be cheaper to drive as above as ferry costs with a van attached are pretty high.

Jeff.
FollowupID: 726453

Reply By: Dust-Devil - Sunday, May 08, 2011 at 13:05

Sunday, May 08, 2011 at 13:05
People.

For what ever reason, The word TOLL/TOLLWAY strikes terror into the hearts and minds of all South and Western Australians who will rather go a zillion kilometers out of their way, in the middle of the night if they have to, to defeat/avoid same.

I have many friends and relatives from these two States, who whenever venturing near Melbourne, are on the phone to me to find out how to either avoid the Tollways of get me to add them to my CITYLINK account.

Hard to believe I know, but a fact of life that I now accept and have given up trying to convince them that Tollways are all good.

DD
AnswerID: 453614

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, May 08, 2011 at 14:03

Sunday, May 08, 2011 at 14:03
Add me to yours too please
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 726459

Follow Up By: gonebush SA - Sunday, May 08, 2011 at 16:06

Sunday, May 08, 2011 at 16:06
i'm sorry DD but you have the wrong end of the stick, i don't care about the toll (yes i would preffer not to pay) but that didn't even enter my head when trying to get help, no the reason is we hate Melbourne and don't want to tow our caravan through it so were see if there was a better way to get to the other side as i think it's better to ask than get there and then worry where we should be going.
thanks anyway chris.
FollowupID: 726464

Follow Up By: River Swaggie - Sunday, May 08, 2011 at 16:34

Sunday, May 08, 2011 at 16:34
Well considering it was supposed to be FREE....Where all suckers for believing a Politician but what do you do,i think it was stated in some Poll a Used Car Salesman is more trusted.....

Anyway i would come over the Westgate too...Just a straight easy run for you,STAY 10kms under the limit ALL the way (there is point to point cameras outa Geelong,not sure if there back on for being incorrect) to allow for ALL the speed cameras that are out of wack (sorry for not giving you much confidence but there isnt any when it comes to these revenue raisers,ive practised what i preach and never had a fine)...

As stated make sure you take the left to Cranbourne as you'll end up in Warragul if you dont..

Safe Travels.
FollowupID: 726467

Follow Up By: Member - warren G (VIC) - Sunday, May 08, 2011 at 17:45

Sunday, May 08, 2011 at 17:45
how can you hate something you don't even know how to drive through
FollowupID: 726476

Follow Up By: Member - TJ (VIC) - Sunday, May 08, 2011 at 19:33

Sunday, May 08, 2011 at 19:33
and expect Vic's and Melbournians to give advice.
FollowupID: 726487

Follow Up By: gonebush SA - Sunday, May 08, 2011 at 20:03

Sunday, May 08, 2011 at 20:03
we have had quite a lot of dealings with Melbourne many years ago, not towing a caravan though, and not over the other side of Melbourne, we really don't like any city even if we aren't towing. ok hate might be a bit strong but more so dislike.
chris
FollowupID: 726493

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, May 08, 2011 at 21:12

Sunday, May 08, 2011 at 21:12
We just towed backwards on that same drive you are planning, i.e. Gippsland back to Melbourne and thru at approx 1300-1400hrs, traffic was heavy but moving and had no troubles, theres plenty of space for the trucks and the caravans, I would be more worried abouot navigating the small streets of Rye and Sorrento where for some inexplicable reason they see the need to create traffic islands which do nothing but cockup the whole traffic thing.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 726501

Reply By: Member - David Will (VIC) - Sunday, May 08, 2011 at 17:54

Sunday, May 08, 2011 at 17:54
Hi gonebush,

I agree with the other going via Melbourne on freeway and toll roads, once you get on the South Gippsland highway, good run to Lang Lang. the Hwy is a little rough these days due to all the sand trucks and traffic using it but still ok.

I was going to Geelong the other day from Cranbourne and thought about using the ferry on return trip and was going to cost $96.00 For 2 adults 1 baby 4wd and 6x4 trailer so not cheap, so check prices.

Where abouts in Lang are ya going, as I have lived there for over 40 years.

Have a great trip,

David
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 453633

Follow Up By: gonebush SA - Sunday, May 08, 2011 at 20:14

Sunday, May 08, 2011 at 20:14
we are planning to look around the Gippsland area as we haven't been there and then travel up the coast to Lakes Enterance, then inland across to Shepparton, then heading home. you might be able to help me out, i have been studying maps, to see the best parts do we do the coast road or the road across the top after leaving Lang Lang? which way has the most to see, we want to see the rain forests.
thanks from chris.
FollowupID: 726494

Reply By: Miss Destiny - Sunday, May 08, 2011 at 17:56

Sunday, May 08, 2011 at 17:56
Hi

I am the same about avoiding the built up areas.

If worried about traffic, can you travel on a Sunday morning when the traffic is a bit lighter?

Good Luck Kath
AnswerID: 453635

Follow Up By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Sunday, May 08, 2011 at 18:57

Sunday, May 08, 2011 at 18:57
We towed a van from Geelong to Traralgon over the Westgate and thru the Burnley and found it much easier than some of the county highways such as the Newel etc. It was also much better that the roads around Adelaide, so if you can drive there, Melbourne major routes are no problem.
FollowupID: 726482

Reply By: Member - Julie P (VIC) - Sunday, May 08, 2011 at 20:10

Sunday, May 08, 2011 at 20:10
Goodness gracious - take the ferry - it is a great trip, see the beautiful houses at Portsea, maybe see some dolphins - see the roughness of the rip - off at Sorrento - up through Dromana (veer right) to Mornington, turn right to at Tyabb Road, then left onto Moorooduc Road, through Moorooduc to Sages Road, turn right through Baxter all the way to Tooradin. Easy peasy. Very straightforward.
The road up from Geelong is good - but you will strike traffic no matter what time or day you go that way, most likely - I personly would use the ferry.

AnswerID: 453658

Reply By: Andrew & Jen - Sunday, May 08, 2011 at 20:33

Sunday, May 08, 2011 at 20:33
Chris
All caravans, no matter what size, are $22 on the 7 and 8AM ferry departures.
From Adelaide - quickest way probably Dukes/Western Hwys to Ballarat, thence Geelong --> Queenscliff. Alternative we often use is Keith, Penola, Hamilton, Camperdown, Geelong -->.
Cheers
Andrew
AnswerID: 453660

Reply By: Member - Bucky - Monday, May 09, 2011 at 09:42

Monday, May 09, 2011 at 09:42
Chris

Great trip once only, thats what we did for the hell of it
Cost us $87 for a Navara and Camper Trailer 5 years ago.
Dunno what price it is now .. lots of $$$$$$$$$ with a caravan, guaranteed.

The best way is straight through on the freeways..
We live in Wonthaggi (another 35-40 minutes along from Lang Lang) and only ever use Melbourne's freeway system, even in peak hour
Whatever the cost the freeways will be heaps cheaper, shorter, and quicker than using the ferry.

Cheers
Bucky
AnswerID: 453696

Reply By: Member - Niss42 - Monday, May 09, 2011 at 12:03

Monday, May 09, 2011 at 12:03
G'day Chris.
I would accept Julies advice above, nice drive.
Cheers
Barry
AnswerID: 453708

Reply By: Member - Niss42 - Monday, May 09, 2011 at 13:21

Monday, May 09, 2011 at 13:21
G'day Chris.
I would accept Julies advice above, nice drive.
Cheers
Barry
AnswerID: 453715

Reply By: Nifty1- Tuesday, May 10, 2011 at 08:03

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 at 08:03
Chris, I gather you are travelling in the next few months? Once you leave East Gippsland (Lakes Entrance etc) your most direct route to Shepparton is via Omeo and Mt Hotham and Bright. It's a fabulous trip, but be aware it is subject to snow in winter and you must carry chains. You can hire them in Omeo and drop them off in Harrietville, cost is about $30. It might sound a bit scary, but if you manage to time it for a good day the roads will be snow-free and the scenery is something you won't forget in a hurry. You won't use the chains either.
AnswerID: 453817

Sponsored Links