debate why camper trailers cause damage

Submitted: Wednesday, May 11, 2011 at 20:03
ThreadID: 86220 Views:4223 Replies:14 FollowUps:41
This Thread has been Archived
I'm curious and looking for reasonable argument, not just preference because you don't like them.

Why will a camper trailer cause track damage and if so why any greater than my vehicle and, therefore, everybody else on the track?

I have, what I consider to be a very well made and capable camper (a kimberley kamper trailer), strong enough to handle any area my tow vehicle can take it. Again, a vehicle I believe is capable of tackling nearly anything I'm game enough to point it at (a landrover discovery 4).

But many times I hear opinion and comments about trailers causing track damage. How so. It is lighter than my vehicle and has no drive train to cause traction issues. It simply follows my line, wheels with independent suspension and higher ground clearance than most 4wds.

My vehicle on the other hand, has 4 wheels with heavy downward pressure causing traction erosion. Fortunately, in my vehicle this is a complicated and sophisticated torque splitter across the diffs so it near as dam it never has a wheel slipping or ripping up the track. I have, however, seen more than enough outrageously modified big foot units with lockers and huge tyres ripping their way through at speed as they can't get there otherwise.

In my mind, these cause way more damage than my smooth ride footprint, even with a trailer following on behind.

Of course, I agree that tight angles and narrow areas are tricky and common courtesy to faster single units is obvious. I don't however believe the statement that my trailer causes more weight on my tow as it only adds 120ks to ball. The rest of my cargo is nicely divided ultimately reducing the weight across any axle, as I now have 3 compared to loaded up 4wds, with just 2.

flood gates now open and awaiting the tide of opinion....!

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: CSeaJay - Wednesday, May 11, 2011 at 20:12

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 at 20:12
I''l bite first.

Firstly I agree with your comments

Because you are sensible - not overloading, correct wheel pressure and the like.

Track damage is made by fools trying to go further in 2wd, high pressure, spinning wheels, overloading and speeding

But the thing is though, trailers make it easier for those same fools to be even BIGGER fools! They do more damage with the trailer if they overload, travel 2wd, high wheel pressure speed etc. Know what I mean? Sadly (and we also are guilty of this) the more space one seem to have the more one takes; so rather than distributing the existing load over three axles, one takes more than one third extra weight so you end up with three axles each as heavy or heavier than a sensibly loaded single vehicle

But for sensible blokes like you (and me of course) I agree with your comments

CJ
AnswerID: 453997

Follow Up By: Ozrover - Thursday, May 12, 2011 at 08:54

Thursday, May 12, 2011 at 08:54
First bite & spot on, very good answer!!

FollowupID: 726871

Follow Up By: Rudds - Thursday, May 12, 2011 at 19:20

Thursday, May 12, 2011 at 19:20
CSeaJ, Your comment "Track damage is made by fools trying to go further in 2wd, high pressure, spinning wheels, overloading and speeding".
Have a look at the photo "Mick O" sent in. Looks like some bigger fool in a 4x4 with a trailer to me. I'm not sure which sand pit or mud puddle you've been in lately, but have a look at some of the damage along any bush track or river track after a good rain done by 4x4's purposly going places that no one should be going.
FollowupID: 726945

Follow Up By: Ozrover - Thursday, May 12, 2011 at 19:37

Thursday, May 12, 2011 at 19:37
"Track damage is made by fools trying to go further in 2wd, high pressure, spinning wheels, overloading and speeding".

I read it to mean that people who are driving thier 4WDs in 2WD for too long before they change into 4WD are doing more damage to the tracks.

I hear quite often comments like "I made it most of the way across in 2WD", some people think it must be more mucho to tear up the tracks in 2WD!

FollowupID: 726950

Follow Up By: Rudds - Friday, May 13, 2011 at 19:59

Friday, May 13, 2011 at 19:59
Mmmm, I suppose it does read that way....point taken....humble pie tastes nice with cream...i suppose i'm talking about tracks into your favorite out of the way secret fishing spot that have been ploughed up by bogged 4x4s, 2wd's just couldn't do that much damaged. cheers.
FollowupID: 727051

Follow Up By: Ozrover - Friday, May 13, 2011 at 20:28

Friday, May 13, 2011 at 20:28
Rudds,

Not a problem, there are plenty of people out there in 2wd cars, 4wd wagons/utes/trucks/busses, some towing trailers as well as motorcycles & quads doing damage to tracks all over australia, the rest of us trying to do the right thing just have to try harder to educate the uneducated & not give each other too hard a time while doing it.

I have been guilty at some point in my life of all of the above, but we never stop learning & maturing, all it takes is time.

FollowupID: 727054

Reply By: MAVERICK(WA) - Wednesday, May 11, 2011 at 20:22

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 at 20:22
A good question and hopefully not one that will generate moronic answers. So here goes my bit - having had a 7x4 "offroad" trailer for many many years and towed it all over the place with a full 4wd of family it also went everywhere the 4wd went. I no longer have a need so with just a 4WD and a swag life is a bit simpler in the bush. That however is not for this discussion.

The trailer did however do that thing that ALL trailers will do - no matter what any manufacturer or seller or owner will tell you - it bounced. It is just a fact of life that they bounce - no matter if they have leaf or coil of air or marshmallows or pussy cats as suspension they still bounce. As anyone knows when the first little bounce happens it kicks up a little bit of dirt and then the following vehicle bounces in that hole and a little bit more dirt moves and before long - just like magic - there are corrugations. That is the main complaint of trailers. This is not 100% true for the formation of corrugated tracks as the use of incorrectly inflated vehicle tyres also causes corrugations and worsens those already there.

Apart from corrugations the weight of a trailer causes the operator of a 4WD to need to use just a bit more of the go pedal - hence a bit more bounce and maybe "excitement" as you crest the dune and........the perception (rightly or wrongly) is that the trailer is causing damage.

In tight situations on tracks when reversing they cause more damage to the bush if they cannot be reversed along the track because there is an extra 5m over the 4WD length.

Now for the other bit - no matter what you think or how good you are you will always overload a trailer - and that doesn't mean it will be over its tare or capacity.........it just means with more room there will be more "stuff" that can go in - and in it goes. One of the big problems I had when using my trailer was as the kidlets got older and dropped off the trips one by one I was suddnely left with gaps in the trailer where previously it was all full and tight and nothing moved. As the trailer lightened so the bounce increased so stuff moved around so the bounce increased so..............on and on. Eventually they all grew older and the trailer now does domestic trailer duties.

So whilst a trailer is good and certainly has its place out there in the great Aussie Outback you just need to be aware that no matter what you do it will cause track damage and there will be people who will target you for that. Ask them when was the last time they let their tyres down to drive along a bush track and I bet they look at you and swear at you and walk off.

Just do the best you can - correct inflation of ALL tyres for the track conditions - including the trailer - and have a good time. At least you are out there having a look around which is more than a lot of people do. rgds
Slow down and relax......

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 453999

Follow Up By: Member - Russnic [NZ] - Sunday, May 15, 2011 at 15:25

Sunday, May 15, 2011 at 15:25
Well said.
FollowupID: 727174

Reply By: Roachie.kadina.sa.au - Wednesday, May 11, 2011 at 20:30

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 at 20:30
Technically, it is NOT the camper trailer that damages tracks....it's the towing vehicle that does the damage due to the extra effort needed to be applied to the track via the tug's wheels, to overcome the inertia of the dead weight of the trailer dragging along behind.

However, as an avid camper trailer user (I have towed our Ultimate Off Road Camper to Cape York twice as well as a successful Simpson Desert Crossing), I must add that it is probably more to do with the driver (attitude and ability) as well as how appropriately the tug rig is set-up....as regards tyre pressures and weight distribution etc.

I have personally seen a trailer-less vehicle in front of me on a sandy track (with dunes etc), do far more damage due to his gung-ho approach and his hard-headed approach to refusing to reduce his tyre pressures, than those of us who followed in a sedate manner and with all 6 of our tyres lowered to an appropriate pressure. This happened on the "Border Track" in SA several years ago.

Having said that, I agree that the addition of a trailer can add to the degradation of fragile tracks and I will not be attempting to do the Simpson Desert crossing again with our trailer. The occasion we did our crossing was just after rain...the desert had previously been closed and we were amongst the first to do the crossing after it re-opened. As such the dunes were nicely packed down and I had no difficulty on any of the dunes.

Roachie
AnswerID: 454002

Follow Up By: Mick O - Wednesday, May 11, 2011 at 21:02

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 at 21:02
Sage comments Bill. Had the same issues myself towing a trailer in sand country before I knew better as far as tyre pressures were concerned. These days I fare far better with a heavier vehicle despite towing. Knowledge and common sense.

Cheers Mick

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 726830

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Sunday, May 15, 2011 at 15:44

Sunday, May 15, 2011 at 15:44
Hi Roachies - remember the time you didn't even get to the Simpson Desert.
Thank heaven for Toyota!
FollowupID: 727177

Follow Up By: Roachie.kadina.sa.au - Monday, May 16, 2011 at 12:06

Monday, May 16, 2011 at 12:06
Oh the pain of it all.... hahaha.

I wish people would stop reminding me of my past follies....hahahaha

Hope you and Ian are both well Ruth.

Mick..... I've been embroiled in this debate in the past and always stood by my comments that it is more about the nut behind the wheel than anything else.

Cheers to you both.

Roachie
FollowupID: 727279

Reply By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Wednesday, May 11, 2011 at 20:33

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 at 20:33
dont stress, they DONT cause any more damage than other form of "wheel" moving accross the ground, it is the person in control of it that causes all of the damage, he may not let down the tyres and it bounces around, he most probally is going way to fast and it slides out and moves around .......
Truth is they actually cause LESS damage, why would i say that ????
Simple, it is all about how many wheels are travelling over the ground...
You will have 4 people in one car with a camper on the back, it follows EXACTLY in the tracks of the vehicle towing it ..... or ..... you split them up into two vehicles and you have one EXTRA set of wheels/tyres tearing up the ground, they each drive according to where they "think" is the best part of the track, often moving OFF the existing track and causing MORE damage...
What if we work it out with a large group, say 200 people (large !!) they all split into groups of 4 in each car with camper trailers and share the equipment.

That will be 50 cars and fifty camper trailers with 300 sets of tyres in contact with the ground ... or 50 sets of tracks in the bush .. and 25% LESS fuel consumption (conservitive, probally more) and les greenhouse gas bla bla bla carbon footprints ect

Lets ditch the camper trailers and go with 2 per car, 100 cars with 400 sets of tyres in contact with the ground, ...... or 100 sets of tracks in the bush .... MORE carbon crud for Juliar to tax bla bla bla

So ok what is best ????
Camper trailers .....

hahahha thats a kinda funny way to look at it but sadly it is true, sorry "camper trailer" haters but you wont win this...

Cheers and have a loverly trip
Joe
AnswerID: 454004

Follow Up By: Rockape - Wednesday, May 11, 2011 at 23:05

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 at 23:05
Joe,
they have caused more damage to my windscreen than anything else on the road.

Travelling at light speed, going somewhere and seeing nothing.

This is not directed at the good trailer owners, it is directed at the gotta get there and tell everyone I have been there and I maybe , sorta have seen something on the way owners.

Guess we are all different.

Have a good one

RA
FollowupID: 726847

Follow Up By: Member - Duke (TAS) - Thursday, May 12, 2011 at 21:33

Thursday, May 12, 2011 at 21:33
Rockape you are spot on. 80% of Camper trailers on Gravel roads seem to be on a mission to prove to all and sundry that they can get to where they are going in half the time that it takes any one else. The most ignorant pr---cks you will have the pleasure of meeting on the road. Duke
FollowupID: 726963

Reply By: SIF4X4 - Wednesday, May 11, 2011 at 20:53

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 at 20:53
Define 'damage'..........................bearing in mind that if there was no track through and over that piece of earth there would be no damage

If a track is unmaintained it cannot be 'damaged' though its surface may deteriorate

AnswerID: 454007

Follow Up By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Wednesday, May 11, 2011 at 21:02

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 at 21:02
Very true, if you bash someone you dont "damage" them but the surface may deteriorate a tad for a while
:-)

But you are correct, we have to be careful how we use the word "damage" as we will never be allowed to drive off any sealed road again eh nature repairs it very quickly, and also can do what we assume is damage but is really just creation in motion..
Cheers
Joe
FollowupID: 726831

Reply By: Mick O - Wednesday, May 11, 2011 at 21:08

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 at 21:08
Bad tyre choice and an overloaded trailer = track damage.

Image Could Not Be Found
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 454009

Follow Up By: equinox - Wednesday, May 11, 2011 at 22:08

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 at 22:08
Bad vehicle choice?? lol

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 726839

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Wednesday, May 11, 2011 at 22:39

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 at 22:39
Hmmm!!!
Seems to be an issue eh!! :-))))

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 726845

Follow Up By: SIF4X4 - Thursday, May 12, 2011 at 07:54

Thursday, May 12, 2011 at 07:54
Hi Mick

I have been reading your great travel account blogs here on this site and I seem to get the impression that you also have your fair share of issues with overloaded vehicles and trailers with multiple breakages over the years.

The vehicle in the picture seems to be across the track. I wonder what happened there? Were you there or did you find the photo as an example?

Cheers

Spero
FollowupID: 726862

Follow Up By: Member - Matt M - Thursday, May 12, 2011 at 09:08

Thursday, May 12, 2011 at 09:08
Must be an inexperienced driver Mick? (Tongue firmly in cheek).

Matt.
FollowupID: 726875

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Thursday, May 12, 2011 at 11:00

Thursday, May 12, 2011 at 11:00
Now I could be wrong, and if you ask the good lady wife, often am...lol
It's not all that clear, but it doesn't appear to me that the front tyre in that photo has been deflated all that much.

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 726883

Follow Up By: Mick O - Thursday, May 12, 2011 at 13:40

Thursday, May 12, 2011 at 13:40
No I wasn’t there at the time but I had been there previously. I know what the issue is and basically in this case it was a poor tyre choice and a grossly overloaded trailer and vehicle (and believing your own propaganda lol). I think in this particular incident, the individual concerned had some issues mounting a dune on the Canning and gunned it cutting a corner before going down in the soft sand. Other EO members who were there on the day could probably flesh out the details of the actual event more accurately. While it’s a classic example of what this thread topic is about, I must confess that I’m also stirring a bit here. (It’s a long story and one well passed but it serves as a reminder. Have a read of my blog on “choosing your travel companions wisely”).

Yes Spero, I’ve certainly had some issues occur during my travels. Weight has not necessarily been a factor in them though and generally I cruise along quite comfortably. My trailer had issues because of impact points un-recognised during construction (call that one naivety) and severe conditions at the time (believe me an under-loaded trailer will have just as many if not more issues in conditions such as heavy corrugations). Scotty’s trailer had issues for exactly the same reason plus some of the construction materials weren’t up to strength and should have been reinforced (not my issue). Fuel tank dropping out was not weight related and everything to do with construction, mounting strength and again, the harsh conditions it was put through. Rear wheel off the new rig was again failure of some of the accessories. Weight could certainly play a factor in this particular mishap.

Certainly I have found the iconic outback tracks harder on machinery than many of our off-track expeditions due to the prolonged exposure to arduous on-track conditions such as corrugations (a big killer). It’s my belief that there are several unalienable rules that relate to driving to the conditions, having the right tyres at the right pressures, knowing your vehicle and of course the weight of vehicle and trailers. If abided by, you’ll generally get through OK. It’s always a learning curve and it’ll be obvious from my blogs that I’m still learning from blokes who are far more knowledgeable than me (refer again to choosing your travel companions wisely).

Cheers Mick

Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 726909

Reply By: Allfour4x4 - Wednesday, May 11, 2011 at 21:20

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 at 21:20
It's simply logic that if you're tugging a big weight behind a vehicle that the towing vehicle is going to work harder to pull it around, therefore greater traction is also needed....yes? Then any situation where tight or slippery or loose tracks are used then of course you're going to get more wheel slip form the tow vehicle than you'd normally get from it? You've also got one more set of heavy tyres digging in to the surface.
I mean trailers don't just roll around be themselves and they sure as hell don't drive themselves (Not counting PTO jobs)
Last time we were down the Finke Gorge there were 3 trailers (where they shouldn't be or course) 2 bogged to the hilt on the river's edge and digging everything up in the process (with shovels and vehicles churning all over trying to free them) 1 stuck in deep sand back up the road.
With signage advising of no trailers, why do it? Guess it comes down to a persons attitude......and anyone dealing with the public will know that that stinks most times.
And yes "single vehicles get stuck in there as well" I here you say, well yes they do, but towing will increase the odds significantly.
Anyway, rant over!
Ahh, I feel much better now.
AnswerID: 454012

Reply By: Member - Phil B (WA) - Wednesday, May 11, 2011 at 21:35

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 at 21:35
I have a serious off road CT but don't take it on remote no track/cross country travel and don't want others to take theirs either if I’m running such a trip;

I won’t go into the arguments about track damage, camper damage, cutting up tracks, inexperienced drivers etc.

Usually trip time lines are tight and we need to keep moving along and in I my experience;

CTs tend to hold up the convoy as they can't keep up the speeds in sandy/ no track/cross country off road conditions,

They tend to need more tries to get up dunes/hills,

They can’t readily manoeuvre around trees, rocks shrubbery

Additional clearing or levelling may be needed to get around obstacles.

Hence no CT's on my remote trips.

Cheers

There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 454013

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Thursday, May 12, 2011 at 10:15

Thursday, May 12, 2011 at 10:15
Got to agree with Phil. Many of the places I go to a trailer just wouldn't get through. Hell it's bad enough just for the cars.

So if the trip organiser has done their homework and has deemed that the conditions are not suitable for CT's then that is usually the main reason.

Did one trip with a vehicle towing a CT, vehicle got bogged on a dune then managed to jackknife the trailer trying to back down. Took a stack of time to debogg the car and trailer even though both had appropriate tyre pressures.

Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 726880

Reply By: Andrew & Jen - Wednesday, May 11, 2011 at 22:00

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 at 22:00
Hullo Zigdog

As in many situations, there is not a straight forward, simple response. So trying to remember my pavement design and road maintenance past, I will make these few remarks.

Firstly, pavement damage due to load goes up as to the 4th power. That is, a doubling of the axle weight produces 16 x more damage. For low weights and well designed and built pavements, that is not a significant factor. But for a well loaded 4WD and pavements made out of relatively poor materials (eg, sand, mud, etc) and especially if they are wet, it is significant.

Secondly, in soft materials, the wheels depress the ground under them and the effect is like they are continuously climbing a hill, the slope being the angle of the tangent of the tyre - maybe 30%; this is considerable and takes a lot more power. A driven wheel copes better in this situation as it is being driven up the slope, compared with an unpowered one (eg a trailer or using 2WD) which tends to shove the soil in front of it as it is dragged or pushed along. (this is one reason why tyre pressure should be lowered as it increases flotation and reduces penetration)

Thirdly, rolling resistance is a major factor in power required to move a vehicle.
So paradoxically, and bearing in mind the relatively low weights involved, the same gross combination mass spread over 3 axles (one being the C/T and not powered) will generate more resistance to movement and hence require more power, than the same overall mass on only 2 axles.

Now of course, that amount of weight may exceed the GVM, but not the GCM - hence the use of a C/T. But it will require more power and hence this may result in more damage as this power will need to be transmitted through the contact surface between the tyre and the road. (another eason to use 4WD)

Added to this is, of course, is the factor of driver skills and maturity. The "bull at a gate" type who relies soley on more speed rather than lowered tyre pressures and the steady and approriate use of the accelerator will undoubtably cause more damage, particularly if towing.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Andrew
AnswerID: 454015

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Wednesday, May 11, 2011 at 22:44

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 at 22:44
"Pavement design and Maintenance past"?????

Is that what you did before becoming a plumber?? :-)))

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 726846

Follow Up By: Andrew & Jen - Thursday, May 12, 2011 at 10:58

Thursday, May 12, 2011 at 10:58
Hullo John
I think you might be mixing me up with someone else.
I had a more lowly paid job than plumber :-) - just a civil engineer in the roads business.
Cheers
Andrew
FollowupID: 726882

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Thursday, May 12, 2011 at 11:08

Thursday, May 12, 2011 at 11:08
Two Andrew & Jen's....I'll be damned!! :-))

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 726884

Reply By: Member -Pinko (NSW) - Wednesday, May 11, 2011 at 22:02

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 at 22:02
Wife and I travelled the Canning SR. in August 2009.
Towed an Ultimate Camper.
As has been stated, pay very particular attention to tyre pressures - all six of them.
We don't know what all the hoo haa was about, it was a breeze and thoroughly enjoyable.
An observation.
We continually caught up to a group one of which was a Oka and it was heavily laden on the roof.
We waited track side on a number of occasions whilst dune negotiation took place.
When the harmonic swaying starts because of the weight on the roof the tyres would break traction momentarily and dig a hole and in the end the track looked like ski moguls and each following vehicle did the same.
A tagalong of about fourteen passed us at one time and they attacked the dunes at great speed from those 'landing strips' some even got airborne.
Later when we cruise into camp the enevitable "what tyre pressure are you running"? or " what gears do you use"?
So who breaks up the tracks ?
Whether you towng or not and things are not as they should be change tyre pressures.
The plan is to never break traction ---- feed it to the wheels gently.
An F1 race car can break traction at any time in any gear but you rarely see them smokin' them. It is a learned skill.
Living is a journey,it depends on where you go !
VKS 737 mobile 0049 selcall 0049

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 454016

Follow Up By: Member - Ed C (QLD) - Wednesday, May 11, 2011 at 22:21

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 at 22:21
Bingo !!!

We have a winner

:)

Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 726842

Reply By: SDG - Wednesday, May 11, 2011 at 22:25

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 at 22:25
All these answersd seem to be in relation to tracks on soft ground. ie, those found in the central areas. I can see where the damage is going to occur there, especially with incorrect tyre pressures. What about on hard surfaces such as those found in the mountains? Apart from the odd deep wheel rut, which is also going to catch the vehicle, what damage is going to occur there with a correctly set up 4wd camper?
AnswerID: 454023

Follow Up By: Crackles - Thursday, May 12, 2011 at 22:13

Thursday, May 12, 2011 at 22:13
In the High Country, the impact towing trailers has on a track can be clearly seen the moment it rains. A car on it's own in many cases may only be just making it up a wet slippery hill without breaking traction but when a trailer is added the extra dead weight can lead to wheel spin, digging holes, mutiple attempts & then recoveries.
Bog hole damage occurs at a far greater rate as I found last xmas. I got stuck in a hole with my trailer that most cars in the convoy without had very little trouble negotiating. End result was as I & each subsiquent trailer got stuck, a new set of holes where formed, the ruts growing longer & compounding the problem until one hour later the trailers had effectively led to tripling the size of the ruts & this only come about because of a one inch downpour a couple of days before.
Cheers Craig..............
FollowupID: 726970

Reply By: Dust-Devil - Thursday, May 12, 2011 at 03:14

Thursday, May 12, 2011 at 03:14
Ah! Zigdog!

Now you have gone and done it, and that is - conjured up a 'full moon' causing the 'maddogs' to howl at it uncontrollably.

Especially those who don't know the difference between the words Tow and Tug.
When I was educated at the School of Hard Knocks (Aust) the word Tug described a sea faring vessel that moved Ships around when unable to manoeuver themselves, and the word Tow and its derivatives - towed and towing - described land based motorised and non motorised devices that pull/ed something behind them.

I know you have done your best Zigdog, however I don't think you are going to get too much from cootas that don't know the difference between Tug and Tow, then again, maybe they do - in a self help fashion - so to speak.

DD
AnswerID: 454035

Follow Up By: Roachie.kadina.sa.au - Saturday, May 21, 2011 at 12:49

Saturday, May 21, 2011 at 12:49
G'day DD,
I'm with you on that one.....

Oh, and can I have some of that "stuff" you've been smokin' lately pleeze??? hahaha

See you when you come back through this way mate.

Roachie
FollowupID: 727945

Reply By: Robin Miller - Thursday, May 12, 2011 at 07:41

Thursday, May 12, 2011 at 07:41
Its pretty basic really - any undriven wheels will cause more impact than if they are driven.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 454042

Follow Up By: SIF4X4 - Thursday, May 12, 2011 at 08:01

Thursday, May 12, 2011 at 08:01
How did you work that out?
FollowupID: 726864

Follow Up By: Mr Pointyhead - Thursday, May 12, 2011 at 08:04

Thursday, May 12, 2011 at 08:04
HI All
In the other post on Camper trailers I referenced track damage i saw created bu vehciles towing camper trailers. The track damage were large holes dug in the track due to wheel spin from the towing vehicles.

Remember, this is a track that the other 4x4 without camper trailers drove through in high 4x4 with no wheel spin at all. Also remember the 20 or 30 other vehicles suck for a couple of hours waiting for the camper trailer owners to get through a section of track that all the other vehicles drove through in a matter of minutes. The track involved was one of the main access tracks into Wonnangatta valley from the north.

Additionaly I have worked with people involved in the management of public lands that have related to me many similar experiences they have had of un-necessary track damaged caused by vehicles towing campers.

Now, to set the record straight I am not anti-camper trailer. In-fact I think they are a great idea. I have been on many great trips with people towing Kimblery and other campers and have had a great time with them. However when we got to the rough stuff the campers stayed behind.

However it is just people towing them need to take into account other road users (As we all should anyway) and also the impact on the tracks of the extra effort required by the vehicles to tow them.

Just use common sense where you take them. A vehicle towing a trailer weighing anything from 700KGs up to around 1500KG or more is going to have more impact on steep rough tracks than the same vehicle not towing anything. (Yes I have towed trailers off road).

Remember I am not talking about well formed roads and tracks here, I am talking about tracks that do require a high clearance 4x4 to be in high range 4x4.

FollowupID: 726865

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Thursday, May 12, 2011 at 09:12

Thursday, May 12, 2011 at 09:12
I don't understand your question Sif

We use 4wd over 2wd cause its easier , same applies to a 6 wheeled car
(car + trailer) being pulled by just 4 driven wheels - straight physics.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 726876

Follow Up By: SIF4X4 - Thursday, May 12, 2011 at 09:31

Thursday, May 12, 2011 at 09:31
RM.

You stated ' any undriven wheels will cause more impact than if they are driven '

I would have thought that wheels under pressure of being driven would cause more disruption to an unsealed surface than wheels which are being towed along that same surface.

Hence my question.....

'by impact'....does this mean a vertical or horizontal force of friction.

No, I did not study physics so I am asking for learned information so as to get my head around it.
FollowupID: 726877

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Thursday, May 12, 2011 at 10:06

Thursday, May 12, 2011 at 10:06
Hi Sif

It takes force to move any vehicle up a track , this force acts thru the wheels and against the surface.

If the constant force is distributed over more wheels then the force per wheel on the ground is less.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 726879

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Thursday, May 12, 2011 at 11:10

Thursday, May 12, 2011 at 11:10
If non driven wheels cause less damage than driven maybe we should all sell our 4WD's and just use 2WD cars, maybe just jack 'em up a bit........LOL

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 726885

Follow Up By: SIF4X4 - Thursday, May 12, 2011 at 13:32

Thursday, May 12, 2011 at 13:32
RM

You have not answered the question put for you to explain your original statement

You're not a politician are you?....lol
FollowupID: 726908

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Thursday, May 12, 2011 at 14:01

Thursday, May 12, 2011 at 14:01
How could it be clearer Sif - everyone else seems to get it.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 726910

Follow Up By: SIF4X4 - Thursday, May 12, 2011 at 17:10

Thursday, May 12, 2011 at 17:10
Not sure who everyone else is..............

I get the feeling that you are trying to tell me that a wheel that is not self propelled will cause more impact to a surface than a wheel which is self propelled. Distributing the force over 4 wheels running at the same driven momentum will lessen the impact upon the surface...that I understand....but that a free spooling wheel following behind, or in front.....will cause more impact than a driven wheel does not make sense to me.

Anyway. no need to reply..I have my own thoughts on the matter

Cheers

Spero
FollowupID: 726935

Follow Up By: p_marns - Thursday, May 12, 2011 at 19:02

Thursday, May 12, 2011 at 19:02
Sif, I have no idea what he is talking about either. I certainly dont get it
FollowupID: 726943

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Thursday, May 12, 2011 at 19:20

Thursday, May 12, 2011 at 19:20
As some wise man (or woman) once said
"There is none so blind as he who will not see"

All the best

Pop
FollowupID: 726946

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Thursday, May 12, 2011 at 19:56

Thursday, May 12, 2011 at 19:56
Hi Spero

From your comment about "politicans above" I really thought you may not be genuine in your question - but from your last reply I think I see the issue you have with what I was saying.

You cannot look at an undiven wheel (axle) in isolation.

The drag of the undiven wheels causes the driven wheels to work harder so the driven wheel puts a greater force onto the ground.

A greater force on the ground rips up the surface sooner.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 726953

Follow Up By: SIF4X4 - Thursday, May 12, 2011 at 20:25

Thursday, May 12, 2011 at 20:25
Yes RM, this is my understanding of it too...but that is not what you conveyed at the beginning of this post in so many words........ hence my original question

You statement should have read 'any undriven wheels in tandem with driven wheels will cause the latter to exert more impact to the surface of the roadway/track....or something like that

That is physics (my limited knowledge) and understandable

Now we can both retire for the night with the knowledge that both are thinking along the same lines

The 'politican' remark was made because you veered away from the original question...LOL

Cheers

Spero

FollowupID: 726955

Follow Up By: ModSquad - Thursday, May 12, 2011 at 20:39

Thursday, May 12, 2011 at 20:39
Robin, Spero, I think you've reached the end of this argument gents. It is detracting from the intent of the thread so enough of the one-upmanship. First and only warning about all playing nicely in the sandpit.

Thanks

Modsquad.
Moderation is just rules

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 726958

Follow Up By: SIF4X4 - Friday, May 13, 2011 at 20:10

Friday, May 13, 2011 at 20:10
This post has been read by the moderation team and has been moderated due to a breach of The Moderation Complaints Rule .

Forum Moderation Team
FollowupID: 727052

Reply By: The Landy - Friday, May 13, 2011 at 21:46

Friday, May 13, 2011 at 21:46
I saw a discussion recently, can’t recall where, that highlighted that the issue is not just about whether a vehicle or vehicle + camper-trailer causes more damage, but the mere fact that a lot of areas are now seeing increasing amounts of traffic whether it be in the outback or high country.

Advances in both vehicle capability, and the new breed of camper-trailers that are capable of most tracks in the right hands, means the potential and ingredients are there for track degradation simply through traffic numbers that were never envisaged when the tracks were established.

Driver education remains the key, regardless of the drive vehicle, or what is or isn't behind it.

Cheers, The Landy
AnswerID: 454214

Follow Up By: Mick O - Saturday, May 14, 2011 at 11:41

Saturday, May 14, 2011 at 11:41
I can add weight to that hypothesis Landy through my own observations of the degradation of numerous tracks that I travel on regularly. The sheer volume of traffic amazes me at times. It would be interesting to see what stats the ANFWDA has kept in respect to Canning permits over the past 4 years or so. This should be able to quantify any increase in vehicle numbers to some extent.

I firmly believed that the languishing Aussie dollar some years ago promoted the retiring baby boomers to travel more locally hence we were seeing a lot of 4x4’s trailers and caravans heading out during the travel season. The worsening conditions on tracks like the Anne Beadell, Gary and Talawana (I’ll throw the Canning in there but it has always been fairly bad) are also testing the engineering of many of our vehicle accessory producers. Where their engineering may have been suitable to conditions 5-10 years back, the current conditions cause a lot more failures.

It would be interesting to see if the high Aussie dollar and high fuel prices has a downward trend on internal travel. It certainly seems to be affecting O/S visitors to the wide brown land.

Cheers Mick
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 727078

Sponsored Links