GPS

Submitted: Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 21:52
ThreadID: 8630 Views:1967 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone tell me if they know of any basic intoduction course i can attend to learn how to operate a GPS ? I live in sydney and would really like to understand how to read one. Any advice would be great guys thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Glenn(VIC) - Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 22:00

Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 22:00
Hi cokeaddict,

there is a book you can buy...I think available from here...that tells you the ins and outs. I think it is a sort of "GPS for Dummies" type book, but I have seen it and it is very instructive. Not specific to any brand of GPS, very general, but your intruction book that came with the GPS should also help you with the basics.Just Do It!

AnswerID: 37867

Follow Up By: Martin - Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 22:21

Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 22:21
I agree - the instruction book in one hand and the GPS in the other and a walk around the block is the way I started. Explore the different screens available. A basic model will tell you where you are in terms of Lat and Long, altitude, speed, direction of travel. It will also allow you to choose a given point and will indicate the direction of that point, distance away and Estimated Time of Arrival. (ETA). This is very useful travelling by car as you can set points (towns) on your journey and have constant info about arrival times and distances. Play with it and you'll learn (as the actress said to the Bishop)
FollowupID: 27468

Reply By: Member - Moggs - Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 22:45

Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 22:45
cokeaddict,

Brian from GPSOZ runs GPS courses (based in Sydney). IMO it is a far superior way to learn than from a book, especially if you are a novice as you can ask questions as you go. The course costs $65 per person or $110 for a couple. They run from one day and are very good with heaps of pracvtical exercises. Check out their website for info www.gpsoz.com.au/training.htm

Also a great place to get your cables, maps etc - good service at what I have always found to be the best price.Moggs ( Normanhurst NSW)
AnswerID: 37875

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 03:01

Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 03:01
Have you looked at our prices for the maps and GPS systems - at last check we were well under the prices on most sites and if you are a member you get even better with the 5% member money.

Additionally if you purcase from ExplorOz you know that you are helping to keep this service in operation. Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
--------------------------
Always working, not enough travelling ;-)
FollowupID: 27486

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 03:03

Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 03:03
Oh and please please tell Brian where the referals come from. Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
--------------------------
Always working, not enough travelling ;-)
FollowupID: 27487

Follow Up By: Member - Moggs - Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 08:45

Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 08:45
Sorry David, wasn't thinking, didn't mean to try and direct business away from you. GPSOZ is however the place to get any cables you need. They are cheap. For those Dell AXIM users out there, they now even stock combination power and data cables for both Magellan and Garmin - long time waiting for that one!Moggs ( Normanhurst NSW)
FollowupID: 27490

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 12:40

Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 12:40
The Map Shop in Sydney also runs courses.Smile, you're on ExplorOz
Rohan (Sydney - on the QLD side of the Harbour Bridge)
FollowupID: 27581

Reply By: Troopie - Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 14:17

Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 14:17
Concur with an earlier comment - GPSOZ run a good course and seem to run them quite regularly in Sydney. I'd had my GPS for a while - but decided to do the course to help the "significant other" get a grip on using it. It was a good day and has certainly helped to get the most out of the GPS.

I was surprised how much extra stuff I picked up.

Cheers
AnswerID: 37923

Sponsored Links