Am I gettin' too old?

Submitted: Friday, May 20, 2011 at 08:23
ThreadID: 86421 Views:3921 Replies:13 FollowUps:19
This Thread has been Archived
Gday...

I gotta wonder .... maybe I am just gettin' too old ... but why would anyone want to do this (except to sell DVDs and books) ....... anyone want to buy a 2nd hand vehicle or caravan from the Gall boys ??

A quiet caravan trip up north.....

Cheers
John
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: wato35 - Friday, May 20, 2011 at 08:32

Friday, May 20, 2011 at 08:32
Looked like fun to me.
AnswerID: 454911

Reply By: Whitewulf - Friday, May 20, 2011 at 08:45

Friday, May 20, 2011 at 08:45
Hi Johnbee

Not sure what your meaning, I could see nothing major in the clip. To me sometimes you need to go a little wide to see the best of Australia. The only thing I picked up is he needed a set of maxtrax :)
AnswerID: 454913

Reply By: member-PradoMad - Friday, May 20, 2011 at 08:50

Friday, May 20, 2011 at 08:50
...if you got the money and time....I would do it too......
JS.
AnswerID: 454914

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Friday, May 20, 2011 at 08:54

Friday, May 20, 2011 at 08:54
John,

I think those idiots should be banned from travelling on anything except a sealed road.

They show no respect for the tracks and land that they chew up in the name of getting an over size/price caravan to places where they should not go.

Wayne
AnswerID: 454915

Follow Up By: Fatso - Friday, May 20, 2011 at 09:14

Friday, May 20, 2011 at 09:14
Agree here Wayne.
We are getting banned from using tracks around this country because they are chopped out. This sort of stuff just chops them out much faster and gets us banned much sooner.
It is not exceptionally difficult terrain they are crossing. They are just choosing to make it that way. That troopey would barely spin a wheel if they left that van behind & took the track around that salt-pan.
FollowupID: 727783

Follow Up By: Mick O - Friday, May 20, 2011 at 09:39

Friday, May 20, 2011 at 09:39
Ditto.

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 727785

Follow Up By: gbc - Friday, May 20, 2011 at 09:55

Friday, May 20, 2011 at 09:55
Dead set geese.
Using that as advertising just gives us all a bad name.
FollowupID: 727788

Follow Up By: The Landy - Friday, May 20, 2011 at 10:13

Friday, May 20, 2011 at 10:13
I think they got into trouble a few years back ‘chopping’ up a track in North Queensland, within a National Park. Apparently two issues, one was commercial filming without permission in the park, and they messed up the track badly in the name of demonstrating the caravan capabilities.

Gives all a bad name... And they don’t do the recreational four-wheel drive industry any favours.

Cheers, The Landy
FollowupID: 727790

Follow Up By: Member -Dodger - Friday, May 20, 2011 at 14:57

Friday, May 20, 2011 at 14:57
Plus if you are the hapless person coming the other direction then it is too bad as it is you that has to give way and wait while they film and get out of trouble.

I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 727824

Follow Up By: Roachie.kadina.sa.au - Friday, May 20, 2011 at 20:13

Friday, May 20, 2011 at 20:13
I have no issue with them dragging that Taj Mahal all over the countryside if that's what they want to do.

But, it's the gung-ho approach that concerns me. If you look carefully around the 2.30m mark, you will catch a glimpse of a snatch strap over the tow ball of the ute trying to pull the 7+ tonne of rig out .

It also appeared to me that those clowns have no idea of how to use a tyre valve and air compressor. The tyres on that cruiser and van looked to be at around 35psi (or more).....no pliability whatsoever. A lot of those situations where he was having difficulty could possibly have been driven through much more easily if pressures had been adjusted to suit the terrain.

Roachie
FollowupID: 727848

Follow Up By: Member - Scoot (SA) - Saturday, May 21, 2011 at 10:44

Saturday, May 21, 2011 at 10:44
Have a look at the roof of the van when the van bottoms out the air con and roof bounce up and down heaps can't be good.Who would really do it if it wasn't a stunt for selling vans.
Cheers Scoot . :-)
FollowupID: 727928

Reply By: Mick O - Friday, May 20, 2011 at 09:38

Friday, May 20, 2011 at 09:38
It’s interesting that we’ve had quite a few threads recently on the condition of tracks and the deterioration caused by trailers and the more likely culprit, poor driving skills.

Yes it may be considered an heroic effort to tow a Caravan to the Cape but why? What’s been achieved other than a quick advertising opportunity for their caravans. They’ve successfully done more damage to a track in one pass than a full season of motorists might otherwise cause and to what end? Did we learn anything?

My travel companions and I often travel to difficult and remote locations and one of our key concerns is always about the footprint we leave. Thankfully, most of our remote travels are not on recognised tracks as such so we don’t have the concerns of increasing the degree of difficulty for those who come after us. This is obviously not much of a consideration for the Gall boys either despite being on public access tracks.

I’ve been able to revisit a few places in recent trips and am proud to say that a period of less than 12 months had totally obliterated any trace of our ever having visited or camped in many of those areas. We also ensure that an approach to a rugged track increases survivability of the vehicles and produces a minimum impact on the track (Tyre pressures, speed, towing considerations etc etc). I’d have thought that was common sense really.

Hope I haven’t sounded too sanctimonious lol.

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 454917

Reply By: vk1dx - Friday, May 20, 2011 at 09:55

Friday, May 20, 2011 at 09:55
I also think there isn't anything wrong with what they did. I didn't see any style of driving that was irresponsible or just tore up the place for the sake of dramatic footage. No charging into mud or water. They just did it slowly and responsibly. Even in the sand and mud it was gentle and under control. Look at the snatch. Just enough to get the job done. Maybe a tiny bit more needed. But sensible use of a dangerous yet efficient item. Maybe a missing weighted bag from the would be one thing wrong.

We were at Gunbshot last year and there was an idiot trying to climb out going south. He just sat there and let his tyres dig big holes in the bank. Got nowhere. Just charged the bank and ended up stuck and just letting his wheel tear it up. Now that's stupid. The crowd was quite irritaed and you could hear the shouts to "give it away ya mug" and "fool" etc etc.

These blokes did a good job.

All except the crossing on the Jardine. Lucky no crocs were arround. The other crossings were fresh water.

Phil
AnswerID: 454920

Reply By: Member - JohnBee (VIC) - Friday, May 20, 2011 at 10:08

Friday, May 20, 2011 at 10:08
Gday...

I was not trying to say they were being irresponsible - driving skills, ruining tracks etc - although they certainly tore a bit up ;-). Obviously very experienced 4x4ers.

I was really only suggesting I would not want to buy that van or that 4x4 after they have done their 10,000km or whatever they do before they sell it.

Only driven once on a nice bush picnic up north ;-)

Anyway, I guess I just getting too old ..... that sort of stuff is mainly bravado by young boys - "geez, I'm good - lookit how we got into HERE! with this big rig"

Cheers
John
AnswerID: 454923

Follow Up By: Dreadnought - Friday, May 20, 2011 at 10:33

Friday, May 20, 2011 at 10:33
Yep.......you're dead right there Johnbee....I couldn't agree more.......you are getting too old.........
FollowupID: 727795

Follow Up By: wato35 - Friday, May 20, 2011 at 10:39

Friday, May 20, 2011 at 10:39
As Pradomad said

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.

FollowupID: 727797

Follow Up By: Member - Old Girl (QLD) - Friday, May 20, 2011 at 18:51

Friday, May 20, 2011 at 18:51
At least they are run in lol.
FollowupID: 727839

Follow Up By: Member - Michael and Chris (QL - Saturday, May 21, 2011 at 07:23

Saturday, May 21, 2011 at 07:23
They give away there dvds with the van, I don't think they are trying to rip anyone off then you get home only to watch you van in the dvd.
FollowupID: 727901

Reply By: Member - Howard (ACT) - Friday, May 20, 2011 at 10:21

Friday, May 20, 2011 at 10:21
i thought it was a better advert for toyota and dual diff locks than for the caravan
cheers
Howard.
Resigned to Retirement

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 454924

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Friday, May 20, 2011 at 10:32

Friday, May 20, 2011 at 10:32
Too old John ? No - but just old enough to know when 'someone might be trying to have a lend of you' :-o).
AnswerID: 454927

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, May 20, 2011 at 16:52

Friday, May 20, 2011 at 16:52
I looked at a one of theirs on you-Tube - dragging a Kedron up to the Cape - and thought I'm glad i don't have to follow them on that track. Show ponies. They much be making too much money out of someone. No good advertising.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 454948

Reply By: Bigfish - Friday, May 20, 2011 at 17:03

Friday, May 20, 2011 at 17:03
This was nothing but a blatant advertising effort. Who in their right mind would want to take a van on this trip?
Sane people dont reply!
AnswerID: 454950

Follow Up By: Member - Michael and Chris (QL - Saturday, May 21, 2011 at 07:28

Saturday, May 21, 2011 at 07:28
Glad you picked up on the "blatant advertising" bit, it wouldn't be worth doing otherwise.
FollowupID: 727902

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Friday, May 20, 2011 at 17:52

Friday, May 20, 2011 at 17:52
Hi John,
When I saw the first video the gall boys made which was the Rugged Cape York Adventure I thought "These guys are bloody crazy, fancy doing that to a new caravan, no wonder the old man is getting angry with them"

And then the penny dropped, these guys build these vans and they can also repair them when they break something. What better way to find the weak spots and build the next one stronger.

I take my hat off to those guys and their abilities, mind you they make sure they are properly setup for their adventures.

Sometimes I shake my head at the chances Dave takes but he is proving the worth of their product every time they get into a tight spot. I think if you buy one of their vans you will have one tough van that will see out the average vanner and then some.

They also prove the old addage that "The family that plays together stays together" and I reckon that Barry Gall would have to be one of the luckiest guys on the planet to have his boys around him like he does. More credit to the guy and the family as a whole.

Mind you I agree that they need a kick in the tail sometimes, but then none of us are perfect. But then they are road testing their product and having a holiday at the same time.

Only spoken to Dave Gall once when ordering the complete set of their videos and he seemed a really nice bloke despite the fact of that the lateness of my call at the working days end when he had to walk from the far end of the factory to the other end to take my call. He was very pleasant and patient but sounded quite tied.

If you really want to see some action get the complete set. You will be on the edge of your seat sometimes and having a good laugh at others.

Nah, I take my hat off to them and only wish I had their energy still.

please note I have no connection with the Gall family or Kedron caravans, but I wish I did.

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 454957

Follow Up By: Member - Michael and Chris (QL - Saturday, May 21, 2011 at 07:34

Saturday, May 21, 2011 at 07:34
Bruce,
Here here, quite frankly I like the fact that these boys that build these vans actually test them and are experienced 4x4s and dont just glue them together in a factory. Where do we draw the line, ban all 4x4s and travel on foot only so not to damage the enviroment. Cheers Mick
FollowupID: 727904

Follow Up By: eighty matey - Saturday, May 21, 2011 at 17:36

Saturday, May 21, 2011 at 17:36
Hi Bruce,

I think you summed up the Gall Brothers exactly right.

I've seen a few of their videos and they are out there having an adventure but learning how to make their vans bulletproof.

They make mistakes and they cut up tracks but a lot of us do. I've only met them once (at last years Caravan and Camping Show in Sydney) and they were all there, even Barry. They were buggered but took the time to have a yack.

I compare them to another camper trailer manufacturer has been advertising big in off road magazines of late. I saw a DVD in the which the owner was part of trip the Victoria's High Country and it was his first time four wheel driving!! The Gall Boys have been going bush for years, even before they were caravan manufacturers.

They're not trying to be anyone but themselves. Maybe a bit of Russel Coight.
Long live the larrakin spirit. I reckon you can be too careful.

eighty matey
FollowupID: 727977

Reply By: BrigalowO - Saturday, May 21, 2011 at 07:15

Saturday, May 21, 2011 at 07:15
Another interesting aspect of these escapades, are the prospective buyers of their offroaders, with full sets of the DVD's, too much money and no sense, who are trying desperately for a wannabe Croc Dundee badge.

Most of these $100k plus monoliths, will never be used in anger, but more likely to be tucked away in a caravan park somewhere, as shiny as the day it was bought.

One one four week holiday last year, in a caravan park up on the far North Coast of NSW, I noticed that there were six Kedrons, five Bushtrackers, two Supremes and one Kimberley something or other, every one, as clean as a new pin with not a trace of red dust to be seen. Of course, most were towed by shiny new Cruisers, and I will bet, all were claiming boasting rights, of how much they had spent, and the size of their super.

Robert

AnswerID: 455004

Follow Up By: murranji - Saturday, May 21, 2011 at 19:13

Saturday, May 21, 2011 at 19:13
I for one think the DVDs are entertaining and I look forward to more..I do not think many would try to emulate their antics ,or could afford to.
Yes ,I am too old now to do such things but by hell I would love to accompany them..Perhaps I am a bit frozen by the way things have headed.Locked out of old forest tracks,steel shot to shoot a duck,desalination plants,carbon taxes,no auto shotguns,dont park on the grass,dont clear trees off your fence,the list goes on & on....We were the lucky country.
Dont look around but it is gone.
Plenty of country left but bring your rule book...Give the Gall Bros .A break.If you dont like that type of DVD go to the restricted shelf or better still have a drink in the City at one in the morn. or walk down a city street and trust you dont meet someone with a knife
FollowupID: 727987

Follow Up By: eighty matey - Saturday, May 21, 2011 at 20:24

Saturday, May 21, 2011 at 20:24
on ya murranji.

everyone wants to be the sherriff pulling up anyone that's not following the "rules".

the boys are having a great adventure, good luck to them.

eighty matey
FollowupID: 728000

Follow Up By: Dave... Adelaide (SA - Saturday, May 21, 2011 at 21:08

Saturday, May 21, 2011 at 21:08
Murranji and Eighty Matey

I couldn't have put it any better than the both of you have....So what if they tear a few tracks up, its no worse than some of the people on here do with their decked out V8 cruisers driving thru the deserts on tracks that arent there....If they want to prove the strength in the vans they build, l say good on them, l wouldn't hesitate to buy one of their vans....
Some of you people need to get of ya jealous ass's and take a good look at yourselves before criticising others.....

Cheers.......Borgy
FollowupID: 728012

Follow Up By: murranji - Sunday, May 22, 2011 at 11:27

Sunday, May 22, 2011 at 11:27
Thanks Eighty and Dave..I think it is all getting too much for me..It is not just a small thing like the Kedrons ,it goes further that long list...
What a list..Mulesing,locking up the coast,barbless hooks,no live bait,work place health & safety,....sorry I have to stop...But I do love the country,the birds,the bush,the sea..Hell
FollowupID: 728075

Follow Up By: eighty matey - Sunday, May 22, 2011 at 12:09

Sunday, May 22, 2011 at 12:09
I know exactly what you're talking about. I thought it was just me.

That's what I love about getting out into the bush and beyond. No radio, no papers, just peace and quiet, a bit of adventure and good beer with friends.

Last year, on The Cape, we did a beach run that's not permitted anymore. I was great and a real challenge. It would be easy to come unstuck but we were prepared and experienced, no luck involved. We got trapped on the beach at night with an incoming tide so we got above the high tide mark, set up camp and waited untiil the morning. The sense of achievement we felt the next morning when we got off the beach was indescibable. I mentioned the run on another 4wd forum I got bawled out by all but one person. Comments were "do the responsible adult thing and do not drive on the beach". If I did the responsible adult thing I'd stay safely at home and drive a hybrid Camry when I went out.

Can't do that.

eighty matey

FollowupID: 728079

Sponsored Links