Outback Hospitality

Submitted: Friday, May 20, 2011 at 12:38
ThreadID: 86425 Views:2490 Replies:7 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
We are just back from a one month trip starting from Sydney through to Uluru having a beer at most places on the way. While most establishments welcomed us ,there are still many publicans and staff that dont seem to want to be there at all and treat everybody accordingly. While I feel that I should list the crook ones, I have decided to give special mention to the ones that were outstandingly helpful and make your trip more enjoyable.

Jeff and Dave at Mt Dare were terrific , gave us great advice on road conditions etc and kept us entertained in the bar making our short stay worthwhile, thanks Jeff and Dave doing a great job boys.

Peter Severin at Mt Connor, terrific storyteller for the last 55 years that he has been there. Meets new faces everyday and welcomes everyone of them, never tires of people, great asset in the area.

Hoffy at the Woomera caravan park. Hoffy couldn't do enough for us, even sharing his own TV set for the rugby league test, all round great bloke despite the fact he is an Eels supporter.

Macca at the Tibooburra Hotel another great night.
Trent at Wanaaring the new publican but filling Mocs shoes well.

But the greatest of all has to be Barb at Hebel store(not the pub) What a lady. She runs an absolutely spotless and tidy licenced store caravan park and restaurant unequalled in the area for service, price and out and out class. Make sure you call in for a coffee or better still stay and have dinner and get to know a real outback gem.

To all the grumpy and rude publicans all I can say is you lost our business all for the sake of a smile and pleasant conversation, thats what the job is all about, its not that hard.
cheers chapo
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Friday, May 20, 2011 at 12:47

Friday, May 20, 2011 at 12:47
Great work.... well done .....sounds like you would have had a great time
Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 454937

Follow Up By: Fiona & Paul - Friday, May 20, 2011 at 16:07

Friday, May 20, 2011 at 16:07
I agree entirely Tony, put very nicely as this opinion mirrors our experience.

Regards
Paul H

Paul H
OZ Downunder

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 727829

Reply By: vk1dx - Friday, May 20, 2011 at 13:43

Friday, May 20, 2011 at 13:43
Dropped in to the bar at Daly Waters one afternoon. Over a beer I asked the barman if they were going to put the Aus/NZ Rugby test, being played that night, on the TV. They were watching an ARL game.Well out of the kitchen came a booming NZ female voice saying "Only if he wants to live he will". She was big! What a rippper of a night though. Heaps of snacks and beer and a wonderful Aus verses NZ night full of the usual we are better than you banter. Even had a few copy the Harka.Daly Waters pub! Make sure you drop in. Excellen Beer and Barra as well. And to boot we lost (*%(&^%

Phil

AnswerID: 454941

Reply By: Member - Michael P (QLD) - Friday, May 20, 2011 at 13:59

Friday, May 20, 2011 at 13:59
Chapo,

Good post.
AnswerID: 454943

Reply By: Witi Repartee - Friday, May 20, 2011 at 17:20

Friday, May 20, 2011 at 17:20
That Wahine (Maori lady) was my Bro's Aunty Rangimarie....she used to be a barmaid at the pub at
Taumata­whakatangihanga­koauau­o­tamatea­turi­pukakapiki­maunga­horo­nuku­pokai­whenua­kitanatahu ..which is just down the road from Porongahau..which is just down the road from Waipukerau. p.s it is Haka..not Harka.
(Sometimes it is shortened to Taumata..but I can't see the point.0
Kia Ora bro. Witi.
AnswerID: 454952

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Friday, May 20, 2011 at 17:41

Friday, May 20, 2011 at 17:41
If I had to type "Taumata­whakatangihanga­koauau­o­tamatea­turi­pukakapiki­maunga­horo­nuku­pokai­whenua­kitanatahu" too often I would have to buy a new keyboard every week.

: )))

Jack

The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 727833

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Friday, May 20, 2011 at 19:01

Friday, May 20, 2011 at 19:01
Witi

Your brothers aunty made sure that my wife and I had front row seats and a bit of barra cooked to perfection. A real card.

Also thanks for the correction to Haka. Either way you spell or misspell it I always enjoy a good Haka. Especially when you are being "challanged".

Phil
FollowupID: 727841

Reply By: ss--ss - Friday, May 20, 2011 at 19:50

Friday, May 20, 2011 at 19:50
Great thread. We recently returned from a 8000 klm trip. Although I have an engel fridge full off beer I like to stop off at the odd pub for a beer & meal. The one that was most memorable was the purple pub in Normanton .. Nice people & great food.
AnswerID: 454968

Reply By: Ozrover - Friday, May 20, 2011 at 21:32

Friday, May 20, 2011 at 21:32
Chapo,

Thanks for that, I'm sure that all the establishments that you've mentioned don't expect the sort of praise that you've given, but it's nice to know that all the effort keeping a place like this running is appreciated.

Most people who drop by for a beer, a bite to eat or an overnight stay are a pleasure to have & people like yourself are by far in the majority, occasionally we get someone in who isn't satisfied but that's OK we all have an off day as I'm sure that the establishments that had a grumpy or rude person that you stopped at were having a bad day at the time.

AnswerID: 454982

Follow Up By: B1B2 - Friday, May 20, 2011 at 22:35

Friday, May 20, 2011 at 22:35
G'day Jeff,

I would certainly put Mt Dare at the top of must stay at places. Me & my fellow travellers have had a great time there more than once, and will be back again.

Cheers,

Bill
FollowupID: 727880

Reply By: zenonie - Saturday, May 21, 2011 at 18:48

Saturday, May 21, 2011 at 18:48
Hi Chapo, as an outback hospitality provider I'm glad that you have chosen to give praise to those that deserve it and not bag the more ordinary experiences that you have had.

The internet is a powerful tool and can give a place a bad name very quickly, sometimes it's just bloody bad luck that the visitor has a bad experience at any one establishment.

You make mention of Moc from the Wanaaring pub, well he and his delightful wife Cherie are back in the Royal Mail Hotel in Hungerford, a place they never wanted to leave in the first place. They are super happy to be back again and are a wonderful addition to our local community. I'm giving them a plug because they are internet dinosaurs.

We live just up the road at Kilcowera Station, right on the Dowling Track which is open and ready for visitors heading north or south. The Paroo and Bulloo rivers have lots of water in them but no floods and the roads are all open.

Kilcowera is having a great season, Cardenyabba Lagoon is the most fantastic camping spot, secluded, private, great water views, birdlife and yabbies.

If anyone is planning to visit the lakes in Currawinya NP there is no access from the Currawinya side as the rangers have closed the roads into the lakes due to water over the road. Access to Lake Wyara can be had from the Kilcowera side for visitors doing our 60 km self guided tour of the property.
AnswerID: 455054

Follow Up By: Ozrover - Sunday, May 22, 2011 at 19:30

Sunday, May 22, 2011 at 19:30
Hi Zenonie,

We tried to go through that area in early January but were stopped by the flood waters between Windorah & Quilpie, ended up spending a week in Bourke getting the car fixed!

Still want to have a look around your area & visit the places that you have mentioned, definitely going to stop for a beer at the Royal Mail Hotel, maybe next year!

FollowupID: 728112

Follow Up By: zenonie - Monday, May 23, 2011 at 06:52

Monday, May 23, 2011 at 06:52
Good on you Jeff and I have a keen interest in getting out your way sometime too. Have heard only good things about your place. Cheers zenonie
FollowupID: 728142

Sponsored Links