Travelling for softies

Submitted: Monday, May 23, 2011 at 04:43
ThreadID: 86488 Views:1786 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hello. Me and my wife are pretty old guys now. We want to get from Perth to Melbourne, using H'way 1 over a perod that might be 2 weeks - in Jan.

No probs with coping in eastern SA & Vic but want to try taking a hire car (compact) through the WA to western SA bits via stop-offs in units @ campsites, maybe motels.

It would be good to have some sound advice re feasibility, fuel, water, communications & interesting bits along the way.

Kalgoorlie/Coolgardie always interested me at school all those years ago, for example. Old homesteads, railheads etc.

We just want to say we've done it without having to call out the emergency services. Ha!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Katie E - Monday, May 23, 2011 at 05:04

Monday, May 23, 2011 at 05:04
WE did it the other way

Take a look
AnswerID: 455186

Follow Up By: Member - Kevin S (QLD) - Monday, May 23, 2011 at 13:29

Monday, May 23, 2011 at 13:29
Katie E, when I clicked your link I only got a web hosting site.
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 728163

Reply By: mikehzz - Monday, May 23, 2011 at 08:02

Monday, May 23, 2011 at 08:02
We did it in a little Mazda bubble car, Sydney to Perth in January about 15 years ago. If you stick to the tar then your only worry is how hot it is, and it will be hot. There is plenty of traffic on the main highway, fuel stops every couple of hundred kms and each garage has some sort of accomodation. It's an excellent trip well worth the effort. Cheers Mike
AnswerID: 455196

Reply By: Farmboywa - Monday, May 23, 2011 at 20:50

Monday, May 23, 2011 at 20:50
G'day Jimball, the Prospector train is a buzz with its high speed burst mainly between Southern Cross and Kalgoorlie. Plenty of historic buildings in Kalgoorlie/Boulder. Don't miss the Super Pit, its breathtaking. If you have them, you could use your annual pensioners travel vouchers to Kalgoorlie and then hire your car.
AnswerID: 455288

Follow Up By: Jimball - Monday, May 23, 2011 at 21:57

Monday, May 23, 2011 at 21:57
what a good idea! Thanks. Mind you, I don't reckon I can con them into recognsing my UK old age credentials. It's never worked so far - even when I wore corks round my hat. Ha!
FollowupID: 728226

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (11)