Millstream-Chichster NP

G'day all intrepid travellers, Has anyone been into Chichester NP lately/ and can give me some advice whether it's possible to get in with an off-road van and which is the best entry point.
Thanks in advance, Tom
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: greydemon - Friday, May 27, 2011 at 01:16

Friday, May 27, 2011 at 01:16
Hi Tom,

I have been there a couple of times over the last three years, last time was last winter but I don't think that things change. Each time I had a Cavalier off road camper trailer and had no difficulty, the roads were just a bit corrugated but pretty good really. I went in along the railway road from Tom Price and came out through Pannawonica. I don't think that you should have any problems on those roads with an off road van.

Having said that things don't change much, I think that there has been a lot of rain in the area (my daughter is a FIFO Geologist near Karijini) but the raiway road is well maintained by the mining companies so should be OK. You need to pick up a permit in Tom Price (tourist office), or I think you can get them in Karatha.

Have fun

Nick
AnswerID: 455586

Follow Up By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Saturday, May 28, 2011 at 20:03

Saturday, May 28, 2011 at 20:03
You can get permits in Karratha; at the tourist shop just before you hit the town; on the left.

If the roads aren't wet they're fine; esp the rail road. Don't miss the drive up thru the Ranges north iof the main drag - sensational views (on bitumen thru the windy high sections).

Cheers.
FollowupID: 728644

Reply By: rooster350 - Friday, May 27, 2011 at 09:41

Friday, May 27, 2011 at 09:41
We went there last year with an on road van and Falcon wagon , a bit rough in places but no real dramas...the road was dry and bit corrugated here and there but would be a walk in the park with an off road van...we only went to Millstream and it is a very nice camp ground and very interesting the history of it...we travelled from Karratha.... cheers
AnswerID: 455604

Reply By: Dreadnought - Friday, May 27, 2011 at 16:18

Friday, May 27, 2011 at 16:18
Was out there only a couple of weeks ago. Can't say anything about coming from the Tom Price end but from the Karratha end the road is good. No worries about getting an off road van in there. There is a campsite at the homestead which is well worth a look. Deep Reach Pool is another campsite that is well worth a look........
AnswerID: 455620

Follow Up By: rooster350 - Saturday, May 28, 2011 at 10:13

Saturday, May 28, 2011 at 10:13
The Tom Price end is o.k. we travelled out that way...any two wheel drive vehicle should be able to handle it, just drive carefully and take it easy....cheers
FollowupID: 728599

Reply By: Member - Tom L (WA) - Saturday, May 28, 2011 at 22:06

Saturday, May 28, 2011 at 22:06
Thank you all for the info. Will be of great help.
Travel safe, Tom
AnswerID: 455737

Sponsored Links