Hobie Kayak in the Kimberley - and how to get it there... advice on corrugations

Submitted: Friday, Jun 03, 2011 at 09:31
ThreadID: 86725 Views:3183 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

We're heading off in July for the north west. Researching for the trip seems to indicate that taking the kayak for some of the gorges that don't have salty's is worthwhile.

I have several Hobie kayaks and was thinking about taking the Sport as it fits neatly on the ARB roof rack. Normally when I do this I just put a pool noodle over the front & rear cross bar & tie down firmly.

A few questions though.

1. Is it worth taking a kayak & how many gorges are safe to kayak in?

2. Has anyone roof racked their Hobie or similar kayak across the Tanami or up the Gibb River Rd or similar?

3. If yes to 2. how did you prevent damage from the corrugations & rubbing on a plastic yak?
(I'm thinking about gaffa taping the rudder mechanism up & handle up and I'm prepared to wear a bit of rub & wear but don't want to wear holes in it ...)

Dave
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: wombat100 - Friday, Jun 03, 2011 at 13:34

Friday, Jun 03, 2011 at 13:34
Hiya Dave

Where can I get a list of the geocache loactions on the Great Central Road??
I had a look at the site...when nothin informative there ??
Can ya help.
Cheers D&J
AnswerID: 456259

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Friday, Jun 03, 2011 at 19:22

Friday, Jun 03, 2011 at 19:22
Hello

When you say you "had a look at the site" ....which site?

There is the "official" Geocaching website,
Geocaching Australia and Garmins geocaching site. There may well be others.

The "official" site is likely to have the most comprehensive listing but some additional caches maybe listed on the GA site...but have not cross checked any for your area of interest so cant really say. In all cases I think you have to register to get full access to data. If you provide some additional details on where you a getting stuck, someone maybe able to help.

Was out on the GCR yesterday ...didnt see any suspicious characters walking around with GPS units:)

Cheers
Greg

I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 729316

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Friday, Jun 03, 2011 at 19:30

Friday, Jun 03, 2011 at 19:30
..Here is a link to download all the Geocaching Australia Geocaches for WA. They are in Google Earth KML format.

GCA Caches in Western Australia

Note that GCA have included all Trig stations as "Geocaches"...which may or may not be on your agenda.

Cheers
Greg

I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 729318

Follow Up By: equinox - Friday, Jun 03, 2011 at 19:57

Friday, Jun 03, 2011 at 19:57
Outback Way Geocaches HERE

Alan Disclaimer: by naming the name of the Geocache trail here I am quoting as others have and do not necessarily condone the naming of the trail the way it is named.

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 729324

Follow Up By: geocacher (djcache) - Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 08:41

Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 08:41
Hmmm. Thats a bit off topic. Either a PM or worthy of a new thread. I got all excited by the emails thinking I was going to get answers to my questions.

Others have provided you some solutions though which is good. I also recommend people pay the monthly membership on the main site & use their pocket query function. I set up PQs with slight overlap looking at 500km radius from a lat/long. You could also create a route in Google Earth and setup a Cache Along a Route query.

Dave
FollowupID: 729368

Reply By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Friday, Jun 03, 2011 at 18:48

Friday, Jun 03, 2011 at 18:48
Hi Dave,
Haven't carried a kayak, but I have carried an inflateable Sevylor 3.6m boat. Wrapped up carefully and sitting on dense foam, it carried no problem.
I have paddled the Hann River (Moll Gorge) out of Mt House and also Dimond Gorge on the Fitzroy, both on the same road to Mornington. Only saw freshies on the Hann - we paddled about 5km upstream, having to portage across rocks at times, but the experience was fantastic.
But the big problem is carting the damn thing there over endless rocks at other gorges. Dimond Gorge was bad enough, and that was only a few hundred metres.
Would love to check out the lower reaches of Bells Gorge, but it's too much effort to carry the craft that distance.
The Calder River, east of Mt Elizabeth, feeding into the Walcott Inlet is very navigable over about 50km, but the salties think so too :D
But, I reckon that the Drysdale River from DR Station would be a good possibility - haven't stayed on that river campsite in years, but I recall it looked quite navigable. A call to that station might be worth it. On the lower reaches, it is accessible from Carson River station, part of Kalumburu, but a permit would be required, and you may not be able to camp. I recall at least one other member has paddled this section upstream. And the salties might be in that area as well. They're certainly in the nearby Carson River near the station.
For the anti-chafe foam, I bought a foam campers bed roll. The boat seemed to survive ok and the foam was inexpensive.
cheers
Gerry
AnswerID: 456292

Reply By: Member - Derek Jones - Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 12:14

Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 12:14
We have used Spirit Surf Skis in the Mornington Gorges in the Kimberly, Carawine Gorge in the Pilbara and at various beaches down South. Always carried the two skis on purpose built Rhino/Rola ski holders either on the roof or on on top of the trailer being towed at the time.

We did modify the camper trailer and added Rhino/Rola ski carriers to the purpose built rack.

We also used the same configuration when at Ningaloo last year.

All of the north west trips were over typical corrugated roads and we never had any problems with cracking, slipping etc of the skis.

Wouldn't hesitate to to do the same again.
AnswerID: 456347

Reply By: TD - Sunday, Jun 05, 2011 at 00:09

Sunday, Jun 05, 2011 at 00:09
Hi Dave,
we took two sit on top Ocean Kayak 'Scupper Pros' on top of LC100 around the block including Oodnadatta up to Dalhousie (short paddle in the springs), Meerenie Loop, Great Central Road, Ningaloo, Karijini, GibbRR, Borroloola to Hells Gate and down to Lawn Hill. Kept in place with Rhino aerobars and the kayak /canoe carrier (560 model). Only one scary bit when a passing road train sucked one of the yaks off the rack.... the yak ended up alongside the drivers window caught on the wing mirror. I made sure I tied off through the drain holes after that. It would have been nice to have had a bull bar to tie down the front end as well... but they survived the 49,000ks. No noticeable rub or wear marks. The tie-downs look a little worse with UV damage.
Kayaked wherever I could except for salty territory.
Have fun!
AnswerID: 456403

Sponsored Links