the ghan

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 08, 2011 at 23:36
ThreadID: 86850 Views:2841 Replies:7 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Greetings all,just wondering if anyone has put a 4wd on the Ghan motorail service from Adelaide to Darwin, i know there is a height restriction ,any other issues to be made aware off?.

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Outback Gazz - Thursday, Jun 09, 2011 at 08:46

Thursday, Jun 09, 2011 at 08:46
G'day GuJimbo - The height and width restrictions are on the Great Southern Rail website under "taking your car" ! Haven't had my vehicle on the Ghan but a mate put my car with all camping gear in on the Indian Pacific for me so when we returned from overseas to Perth we could drive home ! Only minor problem was the wait while they unload the vehicles. But I have heard of a couple broken windows on cars on the way to Darwin caused by our indigenous cousins throwing rocks but apparently it's very very rare !

Good luck and enjoy your journey

Gazz
AnswerID: 456855

Reply By: Member - Tony (ACT) - Thursday, Jun 09, 2011 at 09:30

Thursday, Jun 09, 2011 at 09:30
Been on the Ghan but only as far as the Alice. Its an overnight trip so we got a sleeper. The vehicle was very grubby by the time we got it off, no other problems.

At the time we had a HJ47 Troopie no rack.
AnswerID: 456859

Reply By: vk1dx - Thursday, Jun 09, 2011 at 10:36

Thursday, Jun 09, 2011 at 10:36
We have had our car on the three of them. The only problem we had was on the Queenslander. We were going to get wider tyres until I found the maximum track width. Got the same size tyres.

We did not have a roof rack or anything other than the UHF antennas on the bullbar and spare wheels on the back. I must admit that I did not make a big issue out of having a 4.5Kg LPG bottle inside. Nor was it in the "open".

The only "dirt" was from the Ghan. Our car as you can see was on the top and the first one from the front of the train. Right behind the exhaust from the engines. It took a while to wash all the diesel off the windscreen. The car was dusty but that didn't matter as its a bush car anyway and naturally get dirty.

A note to the wise:
On the way back to Adelaide some mongrels were throwing rocks at the train and hit our car. No cover from the CSR. Its not a regular occurrence we were told as well.

Phil

AnswerID: 456864

Reply By: Member - Joe T (NT) - Thursday, Jun 09, 2011 at 12:33

Thursday, Jun 09, 2011 at 12:33
Once had a truck on train from Adelaide to Darwin and got a broken window. It is more common than you think going through the GAP, if you are exposed...........

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 456869

Reply By: tommo05 - Thursday, Jun 09, 2011 at 18:50

Thursday, Jun 09, 2011 at 18:50
As Gazz says, check out the Great Southern Rail website and all the info you need is there. From memory they basically just don't like anything attached externally to the car, we had to take our roof racks and basket off.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 456907

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Thursday, Jun 09, 2011 at 22:49

Thursday, Jun 09, 2011 at 22:49
A - Vehicle width must not exceed 2.20m
B - Please refer to table below for height specifications
C - Wheel track inner must be greater than 92cm
D - Wheel track outer must not exceed 1.90m
E - Undercarriage clearance height must be greater than 13cm

Maximum height: Adelaide – Katherine/Darwin 2.0m including roof racks.

Maximum height: Adelaide - Perth or vv. 1.94m including roof racks, Adelaide to Sydney or vv. 1.57m including roof racks.

Maximum height: MelbourneAdelaide or v.v. 1.54m

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 456927

Reply By: Member - gujimbo - Thursday, Jun 09, 2011 at 23:09

Thursday, Jun 09, 2011 at 23:09
Thanks for all the replies, in the planning stages for a trip to Katherine then west to Broome, then through the centre heading east to Alice.

Regards
AnswerID: 456929

Sponsored Links