Maytown to Chillagoe

Submitted: Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 20:03
ThreadID: 8705 Views:2669 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I am planning a trip to the Cape and west to the gulf in June 2004 and am interested to know if anyone has details of the route from Maytown to Chillagoe via Palmerville. I have noted a few comments that the track is closed near Palmerville but am curious if it is a gazetted track or whether there is some hope of getting it reopened.
David.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Des Lexik(SA) - Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 22:22

Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 22:22
G'day David, Came home that way back in July except we went from the turnoff opposite Fairview, past Fairlight and Palmerville to the development road and on to Normantown. Apart from a couple of not too challenging creekbeds the road was pretty fair. The development road with its corragfations is probably worse. Have a safe trip.ne cede malis
AnswerID: 38225

Follow Up By: Seto - Monday, Nov 24, 2003 at 14:10

Monday, Nov 24, 2003 at 14:10
Des, Thanks for the info - do you recall how long it took from Fairview to the Development Road.
FollowupID: 27780

Follow Up By: Member - Des Lexik(SA) - Monday, Nov 24, 2003 at 22:51

Monday, Nov 24, 2003 at 22:51
G'day Seto, stretching the grey matter a bit but I think it was about 3-4 hours. Some of it looked like a 2 wheel track and we only daudled along but nothing very challenging. I know when we turned onto the development road we found we had staked a tyre but not fatally fortunately. There was some nice camping spots on a river just before you reached the main drag that would be worth looking at if you had time. Camping along the dev rd was fairly restricted.ne cede malis
FollowupID: 27829

Reply By: Patrol22 (Queanbeyan - Monday, Nov 24, 2003 at 09:31

Monday, Nov 24, 2003 at 09:31
Seto
I'm also planning a trip to the Tip in July 2004 with about 7 other vehicles from my 4WD club. I am intending travelling from Chillagoe to Laura thru Wrotham Park and Palmerville - I would also be keen to find out if any of these roads have been closed. I was intending givng the Chillagoe ranger a call after Christmas and get whatever info he has.
Cheers
Pete
AnswerID: 38242

Follow Up By: Tony - Monday, Nov 24, 2003 at 10:12

Monday, Nov 24, 2003 at 10:12
The road from Chillagoe to Fairview via Wrotham Park is open, conditions depend on river heights at the Mitchell and Palmer. the road generally is quite good.

The road from Palmerville Stn to Maytown is closed to vehicles, as it is classed as a private road.
FollowupID: 27766

Reply By: Peter H - Monday, Nov 24, 2003 at 13:50

Monday, Nov 24, 2003 at 13:50
We were there last May

Road from Maytown to Palmerville was definitely closed. Apparently a private road which has been closed some idiot got in there with a gun and left dead animals in the station drinking water.

Looked pretty permanent with structured barriers on the road.

PeterH
AnswerID: 38264

Reply By: Graham - Monday, Nov 24, 2003 at 21:05

Monday, Nov 24, 2003 at 21:05
We drove from Chillagoe to Hann River via Palmerville in a fairly long day in August. The track from Palmerville to Maytown was closed at the time as noted above. The track was quite OK, pretty scenic once you left the Chilligoe-Kurumba road. My wife was'nt to happy about the 1001 gates that she had to open and close around Palmerville though. Going by the warnings on some of the homemade signs Someone must have certainly upset the people at Palmerville. Kind of made us feel very unwelcome, considering you have to stop just adjacent the homestead to open a couple of gates to pass on through. If it was'nt for a very small/old/faded sign for "Laura" on the gate as you come up to the house you would not think you were going the right way.
As for the road to Maytown from Laura, the Chilligoe Ranger advised it was a full days drive for the 80 odd K's
AnswerID: 38300

Reply By: Patrol22 (Queanbeyan - Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003 at 12:54

Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003 at 12:54
Thanks everyone for the advice. I think I might plan to spend a couple of days on the Wrotham Park to Laura stretch.
Regards
Pete
AnswerID: 38363

Sponsored Links