Ningaloo or Warroora station?

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 18, 2011 at 16:41
ThreadID: 87060 Views:6244 Replies:9 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
In our 10 month of travelling now, and so after revisiting friends and familiy at home, we are heading up the west coast.
Now I've never spent time up there so would like some views on either station and what camps worked well for them.
We have 2 little fellas, and 2 dogs, so keep this in mind, this is also the reason that we won't be camping in the national park.
I also love fishing and diving, love surfing too, but not keen on surfing reef.
Any help or ideas would be great, many thanks in advance!
Cheers
Troy (currently enjoying the scattered sun in SandyCape, Jurien)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Saturday, Jun 18, 2011 at 16:48

Saturday, Jun 18, 2011 at 16:48
Site Link

Scroll down to the entry from Frank & Brenda, today's date.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 457812

Follow Up By: Member - troy s (WA) - Saturday, Jun 18, 2011 at 18:42

Saturday, Jun 18, 2011 at 18:42
Cheers for the link, may have to follow that site a bit more.
FollowupID: 731085

Reply By: Crammo - Saturday, Jun 18, 2011 at 18:56

Saturday, Jun 18, 2011 at 18:56
Went to ningaloo last week, road very corrugated and rough. Two hours to do 32 Km to the homestead. When we found it was to be a further 18km to the campground we turned around and went to Coral Bay instead. A wasted day. We were advised thet the road was OK.

Friends went on to the campground, the road was even rougher than the road in and narrow. Took one and a half hours to do the 18k. Really need to have a proper off road van or camper.

Brian
AnswerID: 457821

Reply By: Member - Mary-Teresa R- Saturday, Jun 18, 2011 at 19:50

Saturday, Jun 18, 2011 at 19:50
Went up to Ningaloo Easter last year (with the kids) but didn't stay at the station - stayed instead at Yardie Homestead Caravan Park where there were a few people with dogs on leashes. Great campground - we have a tent, and had green grass to pitch it on! Very good facilities, including a pool and a wireless internet hotspot. Not too far out of the National Park or Exmouth really (remember, it's all relative). Fish cleaning facilities (you should have seen some of the fish!). If you do any organised tours, the tour operators pick up from the caravan park. Don't forget to drive the Gorges.

On the way home we stopped at Gladstone Campground, which was $5.50 per adult per night with lots of space, campfires allowed (byo wood), well maintained toilets and even some local history to look at/read about. On the beach kind of opposite Shark Bay World Heritage Area. A right turn about 20km south of Wooramel Roadhouse, through a gate (don't forget to close it) and down a dirt road. Coordinates are in "Places" in this website. (No access in wet weather, however). - Just if you're interested. (We loved this spot).

Have a great time!

Mary-Teresa
AnswerID: 457828

Reply By: Member - john y - Saturday, Jun 18, 2011 at 20:36

Saturday, Jun 18, 2011 at 20:36
Just spent a week at Ningaloo Road to the homestead is driveable but rough ,we camped at North Lefroy camp site and track in is a shocker.Don;t know about wooroora but at least it doesn't involve a 70 km trek in.Cost $20 per adult per week plus $100 key deposit Won't bother again
AnswerID: 457834

Reply By: wallabyjack5 - Sunday, Jun 19, 2011 at 15:35

Sunday, Jun 19, 2011 at 15:35
Hi Troy,WE have been going up to Ningaloo ST for about 6 yrs.Yes the roads are rough but that can be an advantage( Keeps big crowds away)just take it slow.The fishing off the beach is great,some good swimming spots.Can't help you with Warroora haven't been there but what I have been told its a pretty good spot also.
Cheers
Glyn
AnswerID: 457912

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Sunday, Jun 19, 2011 at 19:18

Sunday, Jun 19, 2011 at 19:18
On Ningaloo.

On Waroora.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
AnswerID: 457927

Reply By: Member - troy s (WA) - Monday, Jun 20, 2011 at 09:46

Monday, Jun 20, 2011 at 09:46
Many thanks for all the replies and opinions.
I must say it still hasn't made my decision any easier, maybe we need to have a go at both spots.
Cheers
Troy
AnswerID: 457959

Reply By: BrownyGU - Monday, Jun 20, 2011 at 16:30

Monday, Jun 20, 2011 at 16:30
Troy,

Recently stayed at Waroora Station,(about 4 weeks ago) towed in a Goldstream Storm, the road was fine, a bit sandy the closer to the beach you get,all of the Beach front sites were taken, it is a poular stay for Perth residents, who stay for 3 months or more, we took a site behind the dunes wich we thoroughly enjoyed, 30 meter walk to the beach, fishing there was ok from the beach, nearly everyone of the long termers had tinnies and ventured out to the reef for some excellent fishing, Sharks are a popular catch from the beach on old fish frames and heavy gear if thats your thing. And plenty of snakes, "duegites" or something like that I was told they were, apparently venomous, but quite shy! No water or Power, you need to be self sufficient.

Cheers....Browny
AnswerID: 457994

Reply By: aboutfivebucks (Pilbara) - Monday, Jun 20, 2011 at 23:41

Monday, Jun 20, 2011 at 23:41
The swimming is kid friendlier at Ningaloo than Warroora

Enjoy
AnswerID: 458039

Sponsored Links