Travelling up the middle of Aust and then west coast with 2 english staffies

Submitted: Monday, Jun 27, 2011 at 07:11
ThreadID: 87218 Views:2509 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All, hope anyone can give us some feedback. My husband and I are taking on a dream of a lifetime and travelling with our Holden Rodeo, O'Briens off road trailer and our two staffies and limited $$$$. We plan to go via Mildura, Broken Hill, Port August, Coober Pedy etc. etc. We are travelling for around 3-4 months. We are leaving from the Dandenong ranges in Victoria on the 31/7.
Can any Explore Oz members help us with Great Places to see, Must See's, what not to waste our time in seeing, what to do with our dogs when we want to go to National Parks, Free Places to stay (we have purchased the Camp Australia No. 6 book). We may also want to get some work around if the $$ become low. My husband is a truck driver and I am willing to do anything from Painting houses to Payroll.
Hope anyone can give us some good information.
Kind regards
Staffy lovers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - res.q.guy (Vic.) - Monday, Jun 27, 2011 at 07:57

Monday, Jun 27, 2011 at 07:57
Hi
re: travelling with dogs, have a look at thread 87205
Cheers
Neil
AnswerID: 458536

Reply By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Monday, Jun 27, 2011 at 08:29

Monday, Jun 27, 2011 at 08:29
see Holidaying with dogs for $21 in the EO Shop... it's great
regards
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 458541

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Monday, Jun 27, 2011 at 09:49

Monday, Jun 27, 2011 at 09:49
Hi Carol,

I hope you have a wonderful trip. There is a mass of info on this site about places to see - try looking in Places and in the Blogs sections of this site. We have been to many of the places that you will visit and have written blogs about our experiences. Many others have also put up blogs so if you can take the time to have a look at them you will be well rewarded. I doubt that there is much that will be a waste of time - but you do need to take your time and have a decent look and savour the experience.

AS for travelling with dogs, there are quite polarised opinions on this. Although we love our dog to bits we would not take her on a trip, and will miss her a lot when we do go away. We will give our housesitters the pleasure of her company for a while. There are many reasons for not taking her - access to national parks is one that you have identified. There is very real danger from baits and the danger/discomfort from things ranging from ticks and snakes to the vicious burrs that abound in the semi arid areas.

Cheers,

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 458545

Reply By: Motherhen - Monday, Jun 27, 2011 at 23:37

Monday, Jun 27, 2011 at 23:37
Hi Carol and staffies

My advice is as made on a recent thread and here: Travelling with Pets

Read about what to see in Central Australia and the Kimberley from our four month 2008 trip here: Travelogues

I have yet to complete and load travelogues of other trips, including a five month sort of three quarter lap in 2009. There is a very brief summary of where we toured in the 2009 index.

We were travelling without pets, and enjoyed visiting and camping in lots of National Parks.

There is very little i would say not to visit. We have a wonderful and varied country. The only places we don't really enjoy are cities and large towns, but even then, they have features and attractions worth visiting.Kakadu and Litchfield are two very different and must-see parks in the northern NT, but pets are excluded.

In WA, Karijini NP would be one of my favourites, but the Kimberley was probably the best of anywhere.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 458622

Reply By: Carol S1 - Tuesday, Jun 28, 2011 at 07:11

Tuesday, Jun 28, 2011 at 07:11
Thanks so much everybody
AnswerID: 458630

Sponsored Links