Swag Suppliers in WA

Submitted: Monday, Nov 24, 2003 at 20:55
ThreadID: 8726 Views:6002 Replies:7 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Looking to buy kingsize swags for our two boys. They are 13 and are 175cm, 5'8" in the old language. Any suggestions about suppliers in WA and possible prices would be greatfully received.
Cheers
RayMc
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Glenn(VIC) - Monday, Nov 24, 2003 at 21:04

Monday, Nov 24, 2003 at 21:04
Hi RayMc,

Try Ebay, I just bought a double swag for $299..worth up to $600 and thats about what you will pay for king size swags also. It cost $30 for delivery from QLD to Melb.Just Do It!

AnswerID: 38298

Reply By: Pauly - Monday, Nov 24, 2003 at 21:24

Monday, Nov 24, 2003 at 21:24
Try army disposal in midland you can get a good one for around $400
AnswerID: 38302

Reply By: Les N - Monday, Nov 24, 2003 at 21:37

Monday, Nov 24, 2003 at 21:37
Try Qualtarp on 98271033.. They manufacture swags and the Black Duck range of canvas products. I'm sure they can make to suit your requirements.

Regards

Les
AnswerID: 38305

Reply By: Hilly - Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003 at 00:53

Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003 at 00:53
I got quite a flash swag withfine flymesh and good zips from Coastal Trimming, the canvas guy in Jurien Bay for $230. It's a large single swag. His canvas work is excellent. He makes the tent top that goes on the ARB camper trailers. They ship the trailers in from Vic and he does the canvas work. I think the phone number is 08 9652 1508, the numbers are a little smudged on my swag.

This one is set up with buckles and clips to go over a roo bar or a line between 2 trees etc. I'm pretty sure his delivery cost to Perth wouldn't be that much. Should be back loading.

Cheers,

Hilly
AnswerID: 38320

Reply By: Michelle from ExplorOz - Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003 at 01:44

Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003 at 01:44
RayMc - we have looked around at swags for quite some time and chose the AOS Swags made here in WA. I took a tour of their factory and was very impressed and spent considerable time with the manufacturers to offer them the ability to sell them via our online shop - and for some reason the deal hasn't come off, as I'd love to be able to make them available to you. They were our personal choice and we used them on the CSR this year, a double for ourselves and a single for our 3yr old. They do make king singles too - I think around $450.

Don't be put off by the price - they aren't the cheapest but they are the top of the range in quality usig pre-shrunk quality Australian-made canvas from the Bradmill factory. They have lots of little features that really make a difference and are constantly working on design refinement. They will last you a lifetime. I can guarantee that they don't sweat, whereas friends we camped with woke up drenched on some mornings from their new swags that didn't breathe (swags do tend to condense). They have side and top entry, and the model we chose, the Delux, comes with full length fly-mesh so they are totally adaptable to climate - ie full canvas cover for wet, cold, winter nights (tested on CSR trip) to hot summer beach camping (tested in Broome and NW coast). I was instructed to give test feedback to the manufacturers but honestly could find anything after 6 weeks of camping every single night in them that needed improvement.

You will find them at ARB and some camping stores (not Ranger, but don't know who actually). Wish I could say ExplorOz, cause they are great!

Don't get talked into buying the 75mm foam, the standard 50mm is fine - even for people 100kg + as we tested (not me, David!!).

Hope this helps.
ExplorOz
AnswerID: 38322

Reply By: Coops (Pilbara) - Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003 at 14:12

Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003 at 14:12
Hard to fault Mallee Swags.

I've had several and keep getting asked if I'll sell the one I have which means I keep getting new ones. Have the Wedge in a double now and it draws plenty of attention.
All the best quality gear, zips, canvas, screen etcAllyn
Where to next ?
AnswerID: 38373

Reply By: Brett - Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003 at 16:09

Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003 at 16:09
G'day Ray,
I have used swags for about 10 years and love them but in the last 2 years have found a Gortex Bivy bag with a self inflating mat the way to go! The whole thing weighs less than 1 kg and rolls up to about the size of a small sleeping bag! Makes them great for hiking, camping and takes up bugger all room in the car. I have used it at 5000m above sea level on a glasier at -25c and it performed excellent, on cliffs when climbing, on the beach and in the desert.

They will cost about the same as a well made swag and you can get the from Main Peak, mountain design or Paddi Pallin.

Great bit of gear that I wouldn't be without.
Cheers

Thommo
AnswerID: 38395

Sponsored Links