camping Cooper Creek

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 03, 2011 at 16:12
ThreadID: 87354 Views:3668 Replies:1 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all
Travelling to Cooper Creek (Birdsville track crossing) in a couple of weeks with camper trailer and tent. Can anyone help with need to know stuff for camping places permission etc.... Thanks jl
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, Jul 03, 2011 at 16:33

Sunday, Jul 03, 2011 at 16:33
With the normal Cooper Creek camping area on the left side of the track probably swamped by now, the next best place is probably on the northern side of the Cooper Creek at the ferry crossing site on the loop road through Etadunna Station property.
The Birdsville Track itself is flooded and you will need to use the ferry if you are heading further north, towards Mungerannie and Birdsville.
No permission is required to camp there as it is a designated camp site, but of course you would need to cross over on the ferry to reach it.
You can also camp on the southern side however, if your combined rig and camper is too long for the ferry.
The Cooper Discovery Cruises boat is also operating from this spot at present and we paid our $50 and had a 2 hour cruise with some very informative facts and history. Don't expect to be there on your own, but you will have a great stay anyway.

PS: Take along a fishing rod or two for some great tasting Yellowbelly. (Callop)
We used a standard paternoster rig (2 hooks above sinker) baited with red meat and filleted and skinned the fish before cooking.

Enjoy your trip, its a great part of our Country.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 459082

Follow Up By: Member - jlAU (SA) - Sunday, Jul 03, 2011 at 16:49

Sunday, Jul 03, 2011 at 16:49
I have a small punt/dingy with 9HP motor am I able to use that on the cooper?
FollowupID: 732644

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Jul 03, 2011 at 19:46

Sunday, Jul 03, 2011 at 19:46
Hi jiAU

By all means take your dingy, as you will see some unreal sights out along that section of water.

Hi Bill

Have you done the cruise this time, or last year when the Cooper was in flood. As you would have gathered, Fiona and I are heading back again...I wonder what for...LOL

We will be staying there a couple of nights before heading up to Innamincka. Was the cruise operating from the ferry site or further away.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 732658

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Jul 04, 2011 at 07:36

Monday, Jul 04, 2011 at 07:36
Hi there Stephen,

We did the cruise when we were there over the Easter/Anzac break this year.
It operates from the northern side just down a bit, but close to the ferry crossing.

I'm sure you guys will enjoy your trip.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

FollowupID: 732685

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Thursday, Jul 07, 2011 at 23:03

Thursday, Jul 07, 2011 at 23:03
Gday Bill and Stephen,
We were there 2 days ago. Just back home tonight. Spent a few nights camped on the south side adjacent to the ferry - magic camp site. We had the kayaks but limited by the high winds (they even stopped the ferry running about 5 days ago!).

The guy was operating the boat cruise. He was also the same guy with the traytop who was taking oversize campers - theres a lot of people who were overlength and still need his assistance. Costs $75 now.

There's also a small helicopter doing 15 minute joy flights for $85 a head. He was kept busy!

The creek had a fair bit of algae. Still rising by about 50mm a day.
The birdlife was magnificent (my friend counted 30 species).

At the main track the regular camping area was under a couple of feet of water.

Will post some photos in the next day or two.

Cheers
Phil
FollowupID: 732959

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Jul 08, 2011 at 14:02

Friday, Jul 08, 2011 at 14:02
Hi Phil

Sounds like you had a ball and looking forward to your photos and story. Fiona and I are now counting down the days. As long as I do not have my usual problem of bringing the rain with us.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 732980

Follow Up By: Member - jlAU (SA) - Friday, Jul 22, 2011 at 11:03

Friday, Jul 22, 2011 at 11:03
Image Could Not Be FoundThanks for your reply's
Spent four days at the cooper just up stream from ferry (south side) Cruised Cooper with tinny on sunset unforgettable. Kids have memories for life time. 2 mice and 1 friendly rat (tail bit worse for wear) and no yabbies or crocodile's!
Something special to drive through those open harsh plains and then come across the abundance of life and water. Must see for all. jl
FollowupID: 734282

Sponsored Links