Communication, Navigation and Tracking

We are planning our trip through Oz for next year. The vehicle is being build (SLR Adventurer) and I am trying to get things sorted for the topics mentioned above. I understand I can buy all devices seperately but looking for "an ideal" solution. For Communications we think about UHF radio (40 or 80ch??) and Sat phone in case we get in trouble.
Next to that we would like to have a tracking device so family and friends can follow us online. Is this updating this automatically and does a laptop need to be connected at all times? to connect a blog to this? Have read about EO-track me, which looks pretty good for tracking but can you connect a blog to the tracking or is it seperate? Can this be connected with Hema Navigator HN5i as well or is Ozi explorer a better option?
This is all new to me and I am really a bit lost, all help is appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Jul 04, 2011 at 07:23

Monday, Jul 04, 2011 at 07:23
EOTrackMe can be used with a smart phone, a spot messenger device, or something that runs OziExplorer such as the Hema Navigator. As a member, you simply download the appropriate app for whatever device you are going to use.

The advantage of the Hema is that besides providing tracking data for EOTrackMe, you can use it as a moving map, displaying where you are and also provides the ability to record any Waypoints you enter and the ability to save your tracks for future reference.

Have a look at the EOTrackMe topic for more information.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 459122

Reply By: Member - Kiwibound eventually - Monday, Jul 04, 2011 at 07:42

Monday, Jul 04, 2011 at 07:42
We have a "Spot" and have it linked so that it is publishing directly to our blog. We also have it set up so that we can send three different standard messages to friends and family (maximum 10) so that it gives them a navigational way point for us as well. One of these messages is to our daughter and son in law and it says "help - call RACV we are broken down". Hopefully we will never need to use this one. The advantage with Spot is if you buy the right plan you get all sorts of other coverage with it as well, the most important however being the emergency coverage. We purchased the unit from a marine outlet, cost approximately $200 with the cost of the on-service per annum running between $100 and $200. When you head off, have fun out there and keep safe. It is a huge country!
AnswerID: 459124

Follow Up By: Johan_Bakker - Monday, Jul 04, 2011 at 11:36

Monday, Jul 04, 2011 at 11:36
Hi Kiwibound. Thanks for your reply and advice. I will definitively look into spot. How do you actually link it into your blog? Is that somthing to set in the blog?
Thanks,

Johan
FollowupID: 732693

Follow Up By: Member - Kiwibound eventually - Saturday, Jul 09, 2011 at 07:22

Saturday, Jul 09, 2011 at 07:22
Hello Johan. My apologies for my late reply (currently travelling in outback NSW). Yes it is something you will put a link in your blog too. It is not perfect in that it only holds the last seven days of travel on line. However this is normally enough for you then to copy or draw to a map and photograph as necessary. We have only had the spot for this latest trip. Certainly the feedback we are getting from friends and family on where we are has been encouraging although one would question whether we are giving them too much information as they can now ring within 20 minutes of stopping to converse and know exactly where we are. We are reliably informed also that the grandchildren are getting a lot of enjoyment out of being able to follow our travels in real time even to the point that they can, apparently, tell what road we passed ten minutes ago! When you set up Spot tracking you will be sent a link that you can paste directly into your blog. Be aware that Spot has an annual subscription which varies between $100 and $200 dependent on the amount of service ou want from it. We took the higher end. If you want to see it in action check out our blog http://keepontravellingwith-gillandpeter.blogspot.com. Regards Peter
FollowupID: 733021

Follow Up By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Saturday, Jul 09, 2011 at 14:44

Saturday, Jul 09, 2011 at 14:44
Have a look at Spot Walla It takes its info from a Spot device and stores your track forever. You can put a link to it in your blog. An example of my
FollowupID: 733044

Follow Up By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Saturday, Jul 09, 2011 at 15:02

Saturday, Jul 09, 2011 at 15:02
Woops pressed the wrong button. As I was saying, this is an example of my test trip on Spot Walla from 2009. http://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=3548 If you click on the flags, it gives details of the position.

By the way Kiwibound, the link to your blog didn't work for me.
FollowupID: 733046

Follow Up By: Johan_Bakker - Tuesday, Jul 12, 2011 at 17:11

Tuesday, Jul 12, 2011 at 17:11
Hi Ron,
Thanks for your post. Had a look on your Spot Walla, that is excactly wht I meant! Thanks for that.
Johan
FollowupID: 733359

Reply By: racinrob - Monday, Jul 04, 2011 at 10:28

Monday, Jul 04, 2011 at 10:28
Be aware that UHF radio is basically "line of sight" range only, maybe 20 kms in flat country.

rr
AnswerID: 459137

Follow Up By: Johan_Bakker - Monday, Jul 04, 2011 at 11:33

Monday, Jul 04, 2011 at 11:33
Hi rr, thanks for your reply. We are aware of this and will mainly use it for the narrow tracks to listen for oncoming traffic.
FollowupID: 732692

Follow Up By: Lex M (Brisbane) - Saturday, Jul 09, 2011 at 18:59

Saturday, Jul 09, 2011 at 18:59
You'll probably find the main use for thr uhf will be to talk to the road trains.
FollowupID: 733071

Sponsored Links