Captain Cook Caravan Park at Seventen Seventy 1770 BE WARNED

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 06, 2011 at 18:01
ThreadID: 87416 Views:6984 Replies:9 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
we've spent a month on the road and this was the most expensive place to stay at $37 a night for an unpowered site, we book ahead from Yeppoon as 1770 sounds lovely....when we arrived, the site we were given was very un level for the money we paid, the basic requirement for any campsite is level ground...this was no where near it, not sure on the degree but on a camp trailer we had to try and get one wheel up over 100mm.....after attempting this a few times and realising it wouldnt sit straight I went to reception and was told to find anywhere on the grass I liked that was suitable ....all good....well we did find somewhere, the best spot but we still had to jack up the trailer 50mm.

The message we want to tell you is that an unpowered site we have the perception from these people...who cares, they can park where ever its an unpowered site!...not good enough as far as we are concerned, especailly after paying $37 for 2 adults and a kid for an unpowered site for the night and particularly in comparison to everywhere else we have been the last month, and ofcourse the last few years of camping aound Oz.

When we did set up , the what we assume owner/manager came over and abused us....he said they dont advertise LEVEL CAMP GROUNDS...and we didnt have to stay here...(in other words psss off, a bit late at 5pm when nothing else is available as we would have happily done so after his rude behaviour to tourists)

So our message is BE WARNED felllow campers...he was also rude from the start, customer service is obvisouly something this poor man does not understand and we will advertise our experience here to every one we can!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Robbo (QLD) - Wednesday, Jul 06, 2011 at 18:37

Wednesday, Jul 06, 2011 at 18:37
Must be something in the water there as we had pretty terrible service at the Terrace restaurant attached to that caravan park some 2 years ago - We did end up walking after waiting nearly an hour just to have our order taken .. and to boot the waitress/ manager had an attitude.
AnswerID: 459317

Reply By: Member - Jack - Wednesday, Jul 06, 2011 at 20:12

Wednesday, Jul 06, 2011 at 20:12
The best place to report all this is on the Badgers Caravan site.
It certaihnly does not seem to have a very good reputation.

Badgers Caravan Site link

Jack

The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 459326

Reply By: On Patrol & TONI - Wednesday, Jul 06, 2011 at 21:22

Wednesday, Jul 06, 2011 at 21:22
Bradley63
This is like other places that think you should feel privileged to be there, Byron Bay springs to mind, the attitude we got there was "we are a destination, not a two night stop over" & that was from a van park as well as the tourist office when asked for info on sites in the town for a couple of nights.
AnswerID: 459334

Reply By: wade66 - Wednesday, Jul 06, 2011 at 23:02

Wednesday, Jul 06, 2011 at 23:02
Should have gone to Discovery Coast Caravan Park, nice level sites and very friendly. Had no problem with me flushing my jetski I had towed up there when I returned from Bustard Bay
AnswerID: 459337

Reply By: Zebra400 - Thursday, Jul 07, 2011 at 09:05

Thursday, Jul 07, 2011 at 09:05
We have given up camping unpowered. We prefer camping in the bush, but when it is time to hit the caravan parks, we have found over years of travelling that you have to go powered to get a reasonable flat site. For the extra couple of Dollars, it also tops up our batteries.

BTW, $37 a night is a lot, but not the most expensive. We paid $44 a night at Byron Bay about 5 years ago for an unpowered site - not flat, no grass & very small.

Laurie
AnswerID: 459343

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, Jul 07, 2011 at 19:22

Thursday, Jul 07, 2011 at 19:22
Laurie,

I agree totally with you.
During a trip to the Nullabor from Adelaide, we had planned to stay for a couple of nights at the local Streaky Bay Caravan Park. On arrival, our visual impact was "a regimented array of camp sites" which just didn't sit well with the two other couples with us. We didn't even get out of the vehicles but did a U turn and exited the park.
Implement Plan B and a drive of 15k's along the coast to a bush camping site in the sand dunes which was that bloody good, we stayed an extra night.
I am not criticising the Caravan Park which may suit some folk but the bush camping solution suited all of us best and the cost was a token "honorary" fee to camp there. The location was Speeds Point and a great "bush camping" location in the Streaky Bay area.

Later on on our trip we spent 2 nights camping at Mt. Ives Station in the Gawler Ranges. Wow! what a beaut camping location this is, with all required amenities close by, as long as you "feed the donkey".
The "Donkey" is a means of heating water via a wood fired boiler to supply hot water for the showers. The Station staff actually check the firebox under the boiler on a regular basis but "feeding the donkey" when camped nearby is an enjoyable task that just relieves the workload of the station folk and gives you the feeling of contributing.
Geez, I'm rambling now.
I can totally recommend Mt Ives Station as a camping destination on anyone's excurtion to the Gawler Ranges.

Whenever we go camping we prefer the "freedom" of bush camping, but on occasions we stay at a caravan park and it just depends on the individual park on how good, or bad your stay can be.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 732947

Follow Up By: ross - Friday, Jul 08, 2011 at 22:17

Friday, Jul 08, 2011 at 22:17
Like Zebra400,I have found you are better off with a powered site.
In many cases its only $5-6 a night difference.

I wouldnt have found $37 a night for 3 people over the top,but this depends on the standard of cleaniness in the toilets/shower/laundry.

FollowupID: 733008

Reply By: Bradley63 - Thursday, Jul 07, 2011 at 13:13

Thursday, Jul 07, 2011 at 13:13
Thanks for your feedback everyone, appreciate it very much and sounds like we are not alone in our experience there, we will post on the badger site as suggested too.
AnswerID: 459354

Reply By: snoopyone - Thursday, Jul 07, 2011 at 21:36

Thursday, Jul 07, 2011 at 21:36
We found Streaky Bay Park to be really nice Not big sites certainly but a lot better than some.

Had a beaut feed at their little cafe as well.

Was good value for money and a great place to be to do some sightseeing.
AnswerID: 459392

Reply By: Matt & Caz - Friday, Jul 08, 2011 at 12:57

Friday, Jul 08, 2011 at 12:57
Hi, we recently finished an 18mth trip round Oz (yeah was awesome and hate being back in the norm!!) we also had a bad experience at 1770 and ended up travelling up to Tannum Sands, during our travels we paid anywhere from $20 - $55 per night - we travelled with 2kids) Some of the nicest, cheapest and friendliest parks were off the beaten track - once we discovered this we avoided the BIG parks and we also free camped heaps.

Cheers
AnswerID: 459424

Reply By: Charli - Saturday, Jul 09, 2011 at 14:35

Saturday, Jul 09, 2011 at 14:35
I've got another to add to the list, Howard Springs Holiday Park.
Recently stayed up there for a wedding in Darwin. 10.00 checkout the next day and our infant was asleep, was told by the cleaners that it would be ok to leave once she woke up. So went up to reception at 11.00 to checkout and was told we would have to pay for another night as we were 1 hour over checkout time. When we pleaded our case they told us that the cleaners had no right to tell us that and we had to pay.
AnswerID: 459491

Follow Up By: Phillipn - Sunday, Jul 10, 2011 at 17:30

Sunday, Jul 10, 2011 at 17:30
When you pay with a credit card, they will take another day off your card. But if you pay with cash, you can tell them to get ------.
FollowupID: 733169

Sponsored Links