Camping spots

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 07, 2011 at 07:49
ThreadID: 87421 Views:2068 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

We are currently driving from Melbourne to Longreach (via Matilda Highway) then via Townsville to Cairns. We stayed at the Poplar Caravan Park in Dubbo last night. Can thoroughly recommend it - welcoming customer service, excellent sites, very clean services, walking distance to town and only $22 per night for two adults with a powered site. My question is for recommendations of where to camp from here through to our destination in Cairns on the 18 July. Any recommendations would be much appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Geobserver - Thursday, Jul 07, 2011 at 10:48

Thursday, Jul 07, 2011 at 10:48
Lightning Ridge - there is a farm just past the airport with good camping and facilities;

Nardoo - a well sign posted farm about 38kms north of Cunnamulla with fantastic natural hot spas and facilities;

Charleville - another farm on the road west out of town (turn off about one km north out of town, then maybe 10kms west?), but I can't recall the name;

Blackall - top little town with a great pool, bakery and free camping;

Longreach - don't stay there, but base yourself at Ilfracombe which is only a short drive away.

All these suggestions avoid the crowded typical caravan parks and offer plenty of space, big communal fires at night and clean facilities. Sorry I can't remember some of the exact names as it has been three years since I went through, but they should not be hard to track down if you ask around.

Cheers
AnswerID: 459351

Follow Up By: Fred G NSW - Thursday, Jul 07, 2011 at 17:45

Thursday, Jul 07, 2011 at 17:45
I believe Nardoo Station has been sold and is closed for camping.

Fred
FollowupID: 732937

Follow Up By: Fred G NSW - Thursday, Jul 07, 2011 at 17:50

Thursday, Jul 07, 2011 at 17:50
The Charleville place your thinking of could be The Evening Star. Highly recommended.
FollowupID: 732938

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Thursday, Jul 07, 2011 at 22:42

Thursday, Jul 07, 2011 at 22:42
Blackall - is $5 for a permit from the Shire. Good hot showers an easy walk (have had as far in a caravan park).Toilet and dump point at camp ground by river. Lovely welcoming town with lots to see. Nearby Isisford $2 per night or $9 per week by river in or out of town. Showers near Shire office in town.

Longreach - while i endorse the lovely CP at nearby Ilfracombe as a much better choice of caravan park, there is also free camp ground 4 kilometres nw of town on the Thompson River, but gets very crowded peak season. We were there a week after the weather warmed up, and the migratory campers had all gone.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 732958

Reply By: Wheretonext - Thursday, Jul 07, 2011 at 17:49

Thursday, Jul 07, 2011 at 17:49
Hi

Similar route to us last year

You have probably now gone past Byrock on your way to Bourke. We travelled througn there last year and wished we had stayed there. Nice little pub with camping area.

We also stayed at Nardoo Station as above and enjoyed it although I think I read a post that it had changed hands or was not taking campers so you better ring.

We stayed at the caravan park in Longreach which receives poor reviews on here. Very crowded but it did have free ciountry & western music the night we stayed there so if it only one night then ok? I have seen posts where peolple have camped out of town on the rivver but not sure where.

We travelled to Winton then up to Hughenden which has a neat and cheap caravan park. Although if a train goes though you will hear it for a while!

Hope this gives you some ideas

Cheers

AnswerID: 459376

Follow Up By: Member - tojofixa - Thursday, Jul 07, 2011 at 19:57

Thursday, Jul 07, 2011 at 19:57
Highly recommend the Kidman Camp, North Bourke.
Big grassy sites, clean facilities, reasonably priced, also just a short walk to the paddle steamer mooring.

Cheers
FollowupID: 732951

Reply By: Member - Kiwibound eventually - Thursday, Jul 07, 2011 at 20:21

Thursday, Jul 07, 2011 at 20:21
Thank you everyone for your replies and assistance. We are staying at the Mitchell Caravan Park tonight in Bourke. We had decided that Nardoo Station was our next stopping point after reading some of the replies but wondered why the phone number on their website was disconnected. We can understand now if there are new owners. We really do appreciate your suggestions and will try a few of them over the next week or so. Thanks heaps for the ideas.
AnswerID: 459387

Sponsored Links