Simpson desert

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 10, 2011 at 00:53
ThreadID: 87476 Views:2058 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
we are a familiy with three (12-16 years) kids from Austria. On 17.7. we are landing in Adelaide.We are planning to go to the Flinders Range and than to cross the Simpson desert via French Line or Rigg Road, starting in Birdsville on about July, the 26. I think, it´s the better idea to go with two cars and not alone. Is there any possibility to find some guys for a tag a long tour? Or do you think we will find some guys in Birdsville?

Greeting from Austria
Thomas
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Sunday, Jul 10, 2011 at 07:33

Sunday, Jul 10, 2011 at 07:33
Thomas there are a few threads on the issue of croosing Eyre creek at the Eastern end lately, I think you will have to find an alternative agenda as it is unlikley that the Eyre creek crossing will be open by then.

Take a look at thread 87201

Some estimates are up to late August before the creek is crossable.

Call the Mt Dare Roadhouse ( link on that thread) for an update too.

Your alternatives are

1)The Eyre creek bypass might help, but I doubt it.
2)You could come down the Hay River track, however this comes from Jervois down to Poeppel Corner then on to the French / Rig roads. BUT this will require a big trip further north and will require extra fuel for the desert trip. It will however be a great experience.
3)You could come in and out from the west, doing a loop. Again this will need more fuel.

As to your original point on this thread, options 2 or 3 above would increase the desirability of a second vehicle.

PS I assume you have considered issues such as communications etc. If not look at the comms page on this forum.

I wish I could be there, I want to go back to the simpson and Hay river when I can.

AnswerID: 459537

Reply By: Member - Brenton H (SA) - Sunday, Jul 10, 2011 at 10:55

Sunday, Jul 10, 2011 at 10:55
I would definately get another car (or2)to go with you.It would be taking a big risk especially with children on board. Look also at the spare parts and recovery equipment you should take.
AnswerID: 459560

Reply By: mikehzz - Sunday, Jul 10, 2011 at 11:18

Sunday, Jul 10, 2011 at 11:18
Thomas,
What sort of car do you intend to hire? Do you have any 4wd experience? What about any recovery gear? All questions you need good answers for before you do a Simpson crossing. I've driven all over Austria and I've driven the Simpson Desert and there aren't many similarities at all. If you haven't been here before then you will probably be amazed at how empty the place is compared to Europe. Plan B could be the Flinders Ranges then the Oodnadatta Track taking in Lake Eyre, William Creek, Oodnadatta, up to Mount Dare and Dalhousie Springs then back down the tar to Adelaide. Still an excellent trip.
Cheers Mike
AnswerID: 459566

Reply By: Member - hopbush - Sunday, Jul 10, 2011 at 18:38

Sunday, Jul 10, 2011 at 18:38
A couple of weeks ago Eyre Creek was running chest high and I assume that would have been at the northern bypass. It is being re-evaluated in mid-July and may not as BOOBOOK has advised be open any time soon. If you consider the Hay River track, you must have a special permit from the Central Land Council and this is best obtained from www.direct4wd.com.au and this can take weeks. There are many side issues as you have been advised such as vehicles, experience, preparation, remoteness etc. I will be out there early September and I am worried about the Eyre Creek crossing being open then. I crossed it in June last year and it was about .7 of a metre at the northern bypass.
AnswerID: 459602

Reply By: Hochholzer T - Sunday, Jul 10, 2011 at 21:44

Sunday, Jul 10, 2011 at 21:44
Hi,
thank you very much for the helpful informations. So I think it´s better to do plan B: Adelaide - Flinders Range - Oodnadatta Trail.
What ist the better part: From Mt. Dare the Old Andado Track to Alice or via Chambers Pillar to Alice. People told me, that the outdoor camp in Chambers Pillar is one of the most exciting in NT. Isn´t it?

Especially to Mikehzz: Yes, I have experience with 4WD: Gibb River Road, Cape York and the Grand Desert in Libya. I have got a Toyota Landcruiser. But I think its the better concept not to do it with my family. Thank you!

Thomas
AnswerID: 459616

Follow Up By: mikehzz - Monday, Jul 11, 2011 at 00:06

Monday, Jul 11, 2011 at 00:06
Hey Thomas, Grand Desert Libya...excellent, I'm jealous :-). Chambers Pillar is a nice drive along the old Ghan railway and worth doing I reckon. Cheers
FollowupID: 733206

Sponsored Links