Pee Cees drawer systems

Submitted: Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003 at 17:53
ThreadID: 8749 Views:6941 Replies:8 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
I have done all the research and think I have narrowed my choice of drawer systems for the dual cab down to three. I am leaning towards Pee Cees pack & stack storage systems but as this would mean paying prior to delivery from Western Australia, I would be interested in any feedback from fellow forumites who may have dealt with this company.

Thanks in advance."Live today as if there may be no tomorrow"

Wombat
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003 at 18:00

Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003 at 18:00
Any reason you dont make your own and save a bleep load?
AnswerID: 38413

Follow Up By: Wombat - Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003 at 18:14

Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003 at 18:14
Only one reason Mr T - TIME!"Live today as if there may be no tomorrow"

Wombat
FollowupID: 27907

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003 at 22:33

Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003 at 22:33
It would take you 1 day if you had all the bleep together.

Surely $1000+ is worth a day??
FollowupID: 27933

Reply By: Member - Rick (S.A.) - Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003 at 18:55

Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003 at 18:55
Wombat,

try Paul at Back Pack S.A. phone 08 8264 1454 or email him: piczudek@tpg.com
He advertises in 4wd monthly if you want a picture.

I got a drwaer unit & am happy - especially so at half the price of the two major brand name units.

About one year later I then bought his fridge slide.

CheersRick ( S.A.) - ' It is better to travel hopefully than arrive'
AnswerID: 38423

Follow Up By: Wombat - Wednesday, Nov 26, 2003 at 12:06

Wednesday, Nov 26, 2003 at 12:06
Thanks for the lead Rick, I shall ring him."Live today as if there may be no tomorrow"

Wombat
FollowupID: 27995

Reply By: Member - Richard- Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003 at 21:33

Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003 at 21:33
I am not answering your question although when I was researching I thought Black Widow were good. What I can say is that I always thought drawer systems were expensive until I made my own. Welded it all together out of light gauge 20 x 20 square tube and 20 x 20 angle with 10mm ply shelves and 15mm ply infil panels on the frame. All the ply is to be carpetted on both sides. Used plastic boxes on carpeted ply shelves and a Black Widow fridge slide. Materials cost about $800 altogether (allowing for welding wire and gas plus all the extra bits left over, nuts and bolts, carpet, glue, paint and hinges but not costing in a special right angle air drill I bought to drill some holes I missed and others that did not line up after I fabricated it). I made it in three sections that bolt together for ease of storage. I worked out fairly carefully what I needed as I did a set of CAD drawings for them). Took a solid eight days to date to make and I probably need another two days to finish. (My welding is a bit slow because I have to clean it up a lot as it looks like a seagull did it's business on it from a great height). My time cost nothing, (I am retired), but I would consider it quicker, cheaper and probably be better finished to buy professionally made gear next time. (If there is a next time because I have it all for good now as excepting for changing the bolt down points I can transfer them to another vehicle.)
I cannot see how people can make them out of timber and they stay together for long. I did see a set of timber ones in the back of a new 2003 Prado. All nicely varnished like a piece of furniture. Pity really because any items placed on the shelves will slide about because of the lack of grip and the noise inside the vehicle will reverberate because of the solid surfaces. Needs to be carpeted on all possible surfaces.
AnswerID: 38445

Follow Up By: Willem - Wednesday, Nov 26, 2003 at 21:19

Wednesday, Nov 26, 2003 at 21:19
Everyone does things differently. Whereas my old truck is only a 2 seater I needed to organise my rear space. First I fitted a piece of scrap carpet on the rear floor cost nil. Then I tek screwed a piece of 16mm MDF on to the rear inside guards and it is supported underneath by two pieces of scrap MDF. I carry 8 jerries lying down on the floor space. 6 petrol, 2 water. On the first shelf I carry all the recovery gear and tyre levers, 6 plastic boxes for tucker and cooking gear, tools, roll up table, Engel fridge, tree trunk protector, 2 sleeping bags, HF radio and air compressor. The next shelf of 16mm MDF is my bed which sits loosely on the canopy mount and it supported underneath by two upright 16mm MDF sheets. It is hinged front and rear for the bed extension and easy access. When not towing the trailer I carry my chairs, laptop, bullbag and pillows and clothes bag up there.
Total cost of my set-up is around $50. I drive some rough roads and bush tracks but nary have a problem. Maybe it is because the system is so flexible. Well...to each his own.
CheersWillem

Always going somewhere
FollowupID: 28593

Follow Up By: Member - Richard- Wednesday, Nov 26, 2003 at 21:50

Wednesday, Nov 26, 2003 at 21:50
As you say Willem, each to there own. MDF in technical structural terms is bleep and will not hold a screw in shear or racking force for peanuts. The MDF will delaminate. Pull out resistance is not much better. The most stress it was designed to take was my misses pounding bread dough on it. Still if it works it works. I would not tie anything down to it like your fridge because if you do an emergency stop the fridge and the shelving will probably end up in your lap. If MDF was a suitable material all the 4X4 draw makers would be using it.
Many years ago I was very much involved with the Castrol 6 hour motorbike race. Off the shelf production bikes hammered for 6 hours flat out on a race track by a load of mad bastards. The Japs used to shake there heads in disbelief and say the bikes were never designed to do it. They did and very rearly did a bike fail to finish because of engine failure. Probably your MDF has been soaked in Castrol R.
PS like your colour co-ordinated rig. Looks good.Richard and Leonie, The grey nomads.
FollowupID: 28595

Reply By: Member - Cocka - Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003 at 23:01

Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003 at 23:01
Hey Wombat
Your like me, so much to do and not enough time. I'm not sure what you are after but I bought a set of drawers from Brawn 4x4 in Vic. They are as the same as the two expensive brands except nearly half the price. All metal construction and great rollers - I'm super happy with them and have told them so. They delivered them to Syd FOC & I had them installed well inside a day. Don't know anything about the one you are thinking about.Carpe Diem
AnswerID: 38469

Follow Up By: Wombat - Wednesday, Nov 26, 2003 at 12:09

Wednesday, Nov 26, 2003 at 12:09
Thanks Cocka. I'll get on to Brawn and see what they offer. If you're happy with them that's good enough for me."Live today as if there may be no tomorrow"

Wombat
FollowupID: 27996

Reply By: Lyds - Wednesday, Nov 26, 2003 at 00:08

Wednesday, Nov 26, 2003 at 00:08
What were the others you were looking at?

What do you like about the PeeCees?Cheers,
Stuart
- To err is human, to moo bovine -
AnswerID: 38483

Follow Up By: Wombat - Wednesday, Nov 26, 2003 at 12:11

Wednesday, Nov 26, 2003 at 12:11
The other two are Black Widow and Outback which were both a couple of hundred dollars more expensive. PeeCees claim that their drawers are dust proof which is a major selling point if they are to be installed in a ute tray."Live today as if there may be no tomorrow"

Wombat
FollowupID: 27997

Reply By: Moneypit - Wednesday, Nov 26, 2003 at 01:57

Wednesday, Nov 26, 2003 at 01:57
Wombat

Your initial email indicates that you are going to get them freighted FROM W.A. In looking at the ads at http://www.caravanscene.com.au/products/peecees/index.htm it appears to me to be NSW address.

I would like to get a look at these things next time I'm in Perth if there is a place there so could you put the address and contact number in another message please.

Also have you had any indications of a price at all?

Dave
AnswerID: 38494

Follow Up By: Wombat - Wednesday, Nov 26, 2003 at 12:13

Wednesday, Nov 26, 2003 at 12:13
From what I can gather Moneypit they are marketted out of Sydney but manufactured in WA. Peter White is the man to talk to at Peecees Storage 0412 259 345."Live today as if there may be no tomorrow"

Wombat
FollowupID: 27999

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Wednesday, Nov 26, 2003 at 15:03

Wednesday, Nov 26, 2003 at 15:03
Wombat,

Do you have a URL for them? We're just about to embark on making our own drawers but I'd like to make sure we've covered all bases before going ahead. We're in WA so frieght wouldn't be a hassle.

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
http://members.westnet.com.au/flatdog
AnswerID: 38553

Follow Up By: Wombat - Wednesday, Nov 26, 2003 at 15:21

Wednesday, Nov 26, 2003 at 15:21
Just for you Melissa;
www.peeceestorage.com.au
but don't tell anyone else!

One day I'll attempt to post a hyperlink."Live today as if there may be no tomorrow"

Wombat
FollowupID: 28526

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Wednesday, Nov 26, 2003 at 15:38

Wednesday, Nov 26, 2003 at 15:38
Thanks Wombat. They look OK. Definitely worth a phone call on my part anyway.

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
http://members.westnet.com.au/flatdog
FollowupID: 28532

Follow Up By: Member -BJ (Sydney) - Wednesday, Nov 26, 2003 at 18:13

Wednesday, Nov 26, 2003 at 18:13
have a go Wombat i did yesterday & it's easyRegards Bob
Where to next
FollowupID: 28565

Reply By: cruiser - Wednesday, Nov 26, 2003 at 16:42

Wednesday, Nov 26, 2003 at 16:42
For everyones info, PeeCees are located in Port Macquarie, NSW.

The owner is Peter White and the address is 16 Karungi Circuit, Port Macquarie, NSW 2444.

He is VERY expensive, but then again he has contracts to fit out all the Telstra and Country Energy vans in the Mid North Coast area, and they all swaer by the product.

He is a bit of an old woman and a bit slow in getting things done, but he is very particular.

The choice is yours.

AnswerID: 38559

Sponsored Links