Who were the Road train cowboys??? Winton to Longreach Qld Roadtrain 9th July 20

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 14, 2011 at 15:26
ThreadID: 87566 Views:6614 Replies:18 FollowUps:30
This Thread has been Archived
Who were these inconsiderate road train drivers so called professionals???
My flower and myself were traveling back from Nt, via Mt Isa to Gold Coast on Saturday arvo

On the signed 60 kph dirt repair stretch of hwy at least 5 klm length from Winton to Longreach there 3 empty cattle road trains passing in the opposite direction at great speed.

Good work you wankers, you peppered my windscreen and put at least 50 dents into the front of our van.

The Nt road train drivers were excellent professionals, stuck to their speed limits and were courteous.

These QLD outback roads are death traps (due to flood / truck damage) let alone cowboys behind the wheel of these 55 mt monsters. WAKE UP before you KILL some poor bastard and their family.

Do these cowboys have a conscience and do they have family???

Who were they, I'd love to meet them 1 to 1.

Bonji
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mark G Gulmarrad - Thursday, Jul 14, 2011 at 15:59

Thursday, Jul 14, 2011 at 15:59
Bonji

as much as a good belly ache on here may seem the go, you really need to get onto the owners of the trucks. i do sympathize with you on this one mate but did you get the name of the company?

a phone call to the company explaining ( keep your cool about it all otherwise they will hang up on you) just what happened will get a lot more done than posting this on the forum.

just a suggestion mate, safe travels.

cheers.
AnswerID: 459924

Reply By: Akko - Thursday, Jul 14, 2011 at 16:24

Thursday, Jul 14, 2011 at 16:24
Bonji
This type of thing happens all to often these days.
I used to drive trucks myself, back then ( many years ago ) we used to start small and work up and get experience as we progressed to the larger set ups.
There are still the decent and experienced drivers out there, but sadly too many knobs that have got a licence from a driving school and then start driving trucks like their monaro's or whatever.
I had a close call with one a couple of months back, bleep me off that bad I tried to get him to pull over so I could show him the error of his ways.
Wouldn't even look down to acknowledge me.
I calmed down a little later and got over it.
cheers
AnswerID: 459927

Reply By: Member - Wim (Qld) - Thursday, Jul 14, 2011 at 16:39

Thursday, Jul 14, 2011 at 16:39
Bonji.
Sadly its not just the road train drivers. I have experienced good and bad from the full spectrum of drivers on our recent trip through NT& Qld.

safe travels.
Camper setup
July 2012 - Hay River & Binns track
VKS 737 Mobile 0091
Selcall 0091

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 459928

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Thursday, Jul 14, 2011 at 16:59

Thursday, Jul 14, 2011 at 16:59
I find the worst drivers on these narrow roads are those driving 4WD vehicles, particularly those towing campers. They seem to have 2 speeds, stop and flat out. There are too many out there trying to cover half the country on only a few weeks holiday. My van has plenty of scars from them, very few are from trucks.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 459931

Follow Up By: Aussie Noel - Thursday, Jul 14, 2011 at 17:31

Thursday, Jul 14, 2011 at 17:31
Hi all We have just got back from 10weeks away,you should have a word to these road train drivers, they are pretty bleep off by fellow travellers like us who camp overnight in their truck stops. The other night in the Toompine Hotel I spoke to a local land owner who had trouble getting in his own front gate as someone had camped at his grid. This year we got five stars on our windscreen but the alternative is to stay home. Regards to all fellow travellers
FollowupID: 733527

Follow Up By: Member - Neville D (VIC) - Thursday, Jul 14, 2011 at 19:30

Thursday, Jul 14, 2011 at 19:30
Ease up a bit mate, not all 4wdrivers are doing the damage that you claim ! Yes there are cowboys out there, but they are in the minority. I've towed a caravan myself on many trips, the outback included, and have seen as many donkeys towing vans as they do campers. You get just as many idiots towing and driving all sorts of vehicles and vans etc....
Don't tar everyone with the same brush.

NevilleD
4WD owner and tower of a caravan and sometimes camper trailer.
FollowupID: 733537

Follow Up By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Thursday, Jul 14, 2011 at 19:58

Thursday, Jul 14, 2011 at 19:58
Peter

Up until last weekend I would have agreed with you about those towing campers,,,,but,, last weekend we travelled from Halls Creek to the Wolfe creek crater and several campers and 4wd's past us in the opposite direction and each time I slowed down they did they same. We basically passed each other at 50kph.

I was amazed, as I really thought they would drive past at around 80/90.

FollowupID: 733547

Reply By: Notso - Thursday, Jul 14, 2011 at 17:16

Thursday, Jul 14, 2011 at 17:16
The worst experience I've had on the road was with a couple of 4WD s with camper trailers doing some ridiculous speed on a 100kph section. Even a couple of Truckies had a go at em.
AnswerID: 459932

Reply By: Fred G NSW - Thursday, Jul 14, 2011 at 17:49

Thursday, Jul 14, 2011 at 17:49
Put the experience down to character building. Next time you see 3 road trains approaching over the horizon, you will, I'm sure, handle the situation a whole lot different.

Everyone who has travelled the outback has stories of road trains, some good, some bad. They are a fact of life out there, and giving them a spray on this site is like taking a pee into the ocean, hoping the tide comes in :-)

Fred
AnswerID: 459934

Follow Up By: Member - Michael and Chris (QL - Thursday, Jul 14, 2011 at 19:57

Thursday, Jul 14, 2011 at 19:57
Hi Fred,
As a former road train driver I have seen a fair bit. I would suggest to anyone who encounters road trains on dirt roads to give them room and even pull up in the table drain until they pass. I have done the same in my truck when I come across cattle trains as they are top heavy. The same applies on single lane bitumen roads, pull over and let them go. I even had a motorbike abuse me at a single lane bridge, a triple roadtrain full of bananas coming downhill to a single lane bridge should give way to a motorbike I think not. Common sense, pull over let the truck go by, then on your way simple. Cheers Mick
FollowupID: 733546

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Friday, Jul 15, 2011 at 17:02

Friday, Jul 15, 2011 at 17:02
Michael and Chris
Well put, all it needs is common sense.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 733620

Reply By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Thursday, Jul 14, 2011 at 19:32

Thursday, Jul 14, 2011 at 19:32
3 (three) .... road trains coming at you at a combined length of about 170 mtrs and you did not get way off the road ????
If you could not see them from a distance and get way off the road then what else do you expect ??? they have a job to do, some idiot called Julia Gillard stopped cattle exports for a while and nearly sent these guys broke, now things are rolling again they need to do there job and dont need some tourist complaining about something that they cant control, really do you expect them to get off the road for a tourist ?????
YES they have a conscience and familys, that is why they are at work ... driving trucks...
Be fair, the industry has had a really hard time and is not doing to well, the whole outback rides on the back of these guys and we need to support them even when they are pushing things to the "seemingly" limit.....
Cheers
Joe
AnswerID: 459943

Follow Up By: Tjukayirla Roadhouse - Thursday, Jul 14, 2011 at 19:59

Thursday, Jul 14, 2011 at 19:59
well said there Joe.
I know that road very well, have spent alot of time on it ( we used to live around Winton) and the road train drivers are always very courteous when you do the right thing.
Also, you can see them coming for a long way before you get to them, and if you came up to them on a section of roadworks with gravel, you would definately pull over and let them go. Much easier to pull up and get going again in a 4wd, than a triple.
hopefully the original poster takes the experience on board and remembers next time.

Cheers
FollowupID: 733548

Follow Up By: Member - Michael and Chris (QL - Thursday, Jul 14, 2011 at 20:00

Thursday, Jul 14, 2011 at 20:00
Hear hear!
FollowupID: 733550

Follow Up By: The other Norm C (WA) - Friday, Jul 15, 2011 at 00:02

Friday, Jul 15, 2011 at 00:02
Are you seriously Trying to blame the Government ?
FollowupID: 733577

Follow Up By: On Patrol & TONI - Saturday, Jul 16, 2011 at 21:14

Saturday, Jul 16, 2011 at 21:14
The way I read this post was that the speeding RT's were in a road works area, space did not enter into it and even if they were stopped a shower of stones still damages a vehicle nearby. A normal semi would have a similar result, a RT multiplies the effect x 3.

cheers Colin
FollowupID: 733733

Reply By: Madfisher - Thursday, Jul 14, 2011 at 19:48

Thursday, Jul 14, 2011 at 19:48
50 dents in the front of your van, sorry mate but you lost me right their, what sort of a idiot would not pull right off the road and come to a complete stop. You actually caught up to the rocks they where throwing up.
AnswerID: 459944

Follow Up By: Akko - Thursday, Jul 14, 2011 at 19:59

Thursday, Jul 14, 2011 at 19:59
Which part of 60 kph zone dont you understand.
FollowupID: 733549

Follow Up By: Madfisher - Thursday, Jul 14, 2011 at 20:07

Thursday, Jul 14, 2011 at 20:07
How do y6ou know they where doing more then 60, any road train coming towards you appears to be travelling qa lot faster then they are. See the excellent reply my Mick above
FollowupID: 733554

Follow Up By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Thursday, Jul 14, 2011 at 20:17

Thursday, Jul 14, 2011 at 20:17
I agree the roads are Crap out there at the moment.

They are doing their best to repair the damage as best as they can.

We learnt from experience towing caravans in the out back years ago, pull over where possible and let them carry on about their business.

Our caravan has a Van Bra on it to stop the stone damage and it does the job quite well, it's easy to put on and remove.

The majority of Truckies out there do a great job, I usually call them on the CB and let them know in advance what my intentions are re: giving them the road or letting them know when they are comming up behind me to call when they want to pass, they appreciate the courtesy and most times will thank you.

I just think we are passing through their districts as visitors and leave it at that.
FollowupID: 733556

Follow Up By: Akko - Thursday, Jul 14, 2011 at 20:24

Thursday, Jul 14, 2011 at 20:24
I will take wayne b2's explanation of high speed to mean a little more than 60kph.
I agree with micks comments as i used to drive road trains myself, but as mentioned before not all people who steer trucks should be classed as truck drivers.
FollowupID: 733558

Reply By: Member - hopbush - Thursday, Jul 14, 2011 at 21:10

Thursday, Jul 14, 2011 at 21:10
If a road train is approaching on a single strip of bitumen road or any gravel road I simply pull over and stop (where possible)..... If there are three road trains coming I would pull over, quickly say my prayers, and prepare to meet my maker, and if I survived with only a broken screen and a few stone chips I would give thanks and be delighted.
When we (the generic 'we') travel in the outback, as tourists (which we are), we are visitors in another world and must be prepared to conform with and respect outback conditions and traffic which is unique to these areas... We have to accept the fact that these road trains are not just fellow travellers out there pottering about and"smelling the roses:" but they are in their offices going about their legitimate business in their own environment. Whether they are going too fast or too slow is irrelevant, that's for the law to decide;...... we just have to get out of their way!! . Experience is a great teacher!!!.
AnswerID: 459953

Follow Up By: Member - Michael and Chris (QL - Thursday, Jul 14, 2011 at 21:28

Thursday, Jul 14, 2011 at 21:28
Hopbush,
Why would 3 roadtrains travelling together make any difference. They don't travel bumper to bumper or are you saying that they are throwing rocks at each other. Generally cattletrains leave some distance between each other as a smell buffer. Anyhow as you said experience is a great teacher, and most people learn how to share the road with roadtrains pretty quick.
FollowupID: 733566

Reply By: Wilko (Parkes NSW) - Thursday, Jul 14, 2011 at 21:31

Thursday, Jul 14, 2011 at 21:31
I believe the road trains have right of way. if I see them coming I stop and head bush literally. I ussually head thru the table drain (if possible) a go 30 or so mts on. They have right of way and should be treated with respect.

I do believe that there are too many inexperienced drivers (truckies, car drivers, 4wdrivers ect) and mistakes can happen.

Cheers Wilko
AnswerID: 459954

Reply By: Member - Mark G Gulmarrad - Thursday, Jul 14, 2011 at 21:37

Thursday, Jul 14, 2011 at 21:37
here is something i found whilst browsing........road trains

guys, i drive b-doubles up and down the pacific highway for a living.the things i witness people doing in front of my truck loaded at 64 tons is just beyond belief.

have a bit of respect for these guys, you can imagine their horror at some of the things they see in their day.

at least at 64 tons i have some sort of chance to pull up. nearly 200 tonns DOES NOT.

safe travels please.

cheers.
AnswerID: 459955

Reply By: olcoolone - Thursday, Jul 14, 2011 at 22:38

Thursday, Jul 14, 2011 at 22:38
Rule number 1 when traveling on dirt roads.... if a truck is coming pull at least 50m of the road.

Rule number 2 when traveling on dirt or narrow roads..... the biggest has the right of way.

Rule number 3 when traveling on dirt roads..... slow down when approaching other vehicles.

All mine sites around Australia have much the same rules.

And Wayne what are you going to do if you do meet them and how do you know they were doing over the posted speed limits?

Sure there are some cowboys out there in truck and properly the same number in 4x4's..... and a hell of a lot more towing caravans.
AnswerID: 459962

Follow Up By: have a go - Thursday, Jul 14, 2011 at 23:33

Thursday, Jul 14, 2011 at 23:33
Rule number 2 when traveling on dirt or narrow roads..... the biggest has the right of way.

My husband drove quads last hitch and now back to tripple out Innamincka way the stories he comes home with. There is so many stupid people around that dont understand they cant get off the road as easy as cars. He did it once and had to spend the night bogged and waited for the mud to dry a bit to get him self out. No tow trucks out there.
FollowupID: 733576

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Friday, Jul 15, 2011 at 09:11

Friday, Jul 15, 2011 at 09:11
Coming from both sides of the fence I stick to these rules as it's safer for both parties.

People don't think with roadtrains... drop a wheel off on the last trailer and there's a chance it will put the other trailers and prime mover on it's side or send it bush or rip a tank or tyre off.

Yeah getting stuck is a problem and it can cost the operator weeks of work just to pay for the recovery and then there are the other problems like live stock waiting on board and with tankers the chance of fuel leaking and at worst tipping over.

No only if that tourist had pulled over for a few minutes and everyone would of been happy.

Some people on holidays just don't think about other road users, all they worry about is setting up before dark, where are they going to camp and look at that pretty hill over there plus most do one or two trips a year in the country and don't have common road sense.

When traveling as a tourist as soon as we see a large amount of dust we find a spot to pull over and it's a good chance to have a look around, check the vehicle and have a break.
FollowupID: 733584

Follow Up By: On Patrol & TONI - Saturday, Jul 16, 2011 at 21:21

Saturday, Jul 16, 2011 at 21:21
re rule 1
I dont know of too many roads 50m wide let alone pull 50 mtrs off the road.
FollowupID: 733736

Reply By: wayne b2 - Friday, Jul 15, 2011 at 06:58

Friday, Jul 15, 2011 at 06:58
Obvious to me that people can not understand

1. Road was under repair with 60 klm speed limit.

2. No where to pull over off the road. There was no side of the road !

3. These 3 road trains were up each others rear doing enormous speeds on this flat section.

4. We were blinded by the dust created as each passed and couldn't identify company on trucks (also in total shock).

5. Why to some of the people on this forum divert from the subject?

6. Suggest to QLD main roads to install auto traffic lights at this section to control traffic one lane at a time over work in progress on these dirt stretches for say 5 mins at a time.

We hope no one gets killed by these minority road train cow humpers.
AnswerID: 459967

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Friday, Jul 15, 2011 at 11:23

Friday, Jul 15, 2011 at 11:23
If you used half your brain YOU would have gotten off the road , was only a week ago that on that roadworks section a a 3 trailer loaded cattle train became bogged for over 24hrs due to a terrorist [ tourist ] thinking that they own the road because A: towing a c/van and B: I'm on holidays and can do whatever I like as I have plenty of time so trucks can just sit behind my 80klm per hr in the 100klm zone. If you don't want your Toorak 4x4 damaged stay in Toorak !1
FollowupID: 733595

Follow Up By: Polaris - Friday, Jul 15, 2011 at 11:29

Friday, Jul 15, 2011 at 11:29
Even if there was no where to pull over you should have stopped.

The rocks thrown up by the RT's aren't doing 60 KPH - the rocks have simply been lifted from the ground by the RT wheels/tyres - and YOU have run into them from the opposite direction at 60 KPH !

If you had been stopped when the RT's passed then you would not have sustained all the damage.
FollowupID: 733596

Follow Up By: wayne b2 - Friday, Jul 15, 2011 at 13:30

Friday, Jul 15, 2011 at 13:30
I will get kicked for the following:-

How do you stop on a Major Highway without any verge to move on to.
I drive and tow with a 2002 AU Falcon wagon , live in suburban NSW not Toorak drive with cruise control @ 90 kph, except in slower speed areas

Rocks hit cars and vans when at a stop as well, so all negative replies I say to you GO bleep YOURSELVES, and read before commenting. I am not a dementing Grey Nomad, Just turned 55.

My original post was to make people aware of this danger.

Great site for finding coordinates and places.

Usual bleep Heads in forum.

Thanks I will get barred now but to all the ignorant I repeat
GO bleep YOURSELVES

FollowupID: 733602

Follow Up By: Tonyfish#58 - Friday, Jul 15, 2011 at 16:01

Friday, Jul 15, 2011 at 16:01
Alloy - That was not called for - If the situation was as described then the trucks were in the wrong and need to pay for the damage.

And Polaris - Ive pulled off the road 20m one day when there were road trains heading my way at speed on Road Works (it was very rocky) - I ended up with the rock the size of my fist going through the windscreen totally destroying it and put a rip in my passenger seat. It was only luck my wife was too sick for the trip.

Now at 60k that is much less likely to happen and after all it was the posted leagal speed limit.

So both of you can offer your apologies :-)

Cheers Tony
FollowupID: 733613

Follow Up By: Tonyfish#58 - Friday, Jul 15, 2011 at 16:04

Friday, Jul 15, 2011 at 16:04
wayne b2 - I'll back you up and those reply's you got are only worth binning as well as their attitude

Cheers Tony
FollowupID: 733614

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Friday, Jul 15, 2011 at 16:33

Friday, Jul 15, 2011 at 16:33
Wayne it happens and there is no use getting cranky, we got showed with rocks by a female drive in a sparkling NEW black Ford Ranger towing a camper trailer last year on the road going into Lake Eyre...... One stone hit our windscreen and cracked it.

The sign posted speed was 60 K/ph and she was doing a lot more then that.

If your going to travel on country roads sealed or non sealed, road works or not you have to expect damage and yes it is frustrating and can leave a sour taste in you mouth.

Wayne we do 1000's of kilometers a year on bad unsealed roads and the main thing that stops us getting damage is ourselves taking evasive action.

If these trucks were kicking up that much dust surly you would of seen them coming from a distance and could of pulled of the road.

I think you might have to put this one down as a expensive experience and next time you will no what to do.

No don't get me wrong and I'm not having a go at you but you drive a AU Falcon towing a van meaning that you unsealed or poor road experience may be lacking as compared to others on this site who travel on dirt or poor roads more.

Most people traveling outback roads know the danger and act accordingly.

I feel sorry for you but please don't take it personally.

One thing nobody can be sure of is if the trucks were traveling a the sign posted speed would you of still got sprayed with stones and rock, we have had a cracked windscreen on a wide section of unsealed road where our vehicle and the other vehicle was traveling at 25 K/ph BUT we have passed many going a lot fasted and got no damage.
FollowupID: 733617

Follow Up By: Meggs - Friday, Jul 15, 2011 at 17:05

Friday, Jul 15, 2011 at 17:05
I sympathies with you as this is the exception not the rule as far as Road Trains are concerned. I drove over this road a week or so ago and you are correct there is no where to get off and three Road Trains in a row would be scary.
FollowupID: 733621

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Saturday, Jul 16, 2011 at 08:40

Saturday, Jul 16, 2011 at 08:40
Tonyfish ,pray tell WHY and WHAT damage should these road trains pay for , its called wear and tear , if you dont like it leave your car and c/van in the garage at home, do you really believe that a road train throws rocks at oncomming vehicles on purpose.
FollowupID: 733659

Follow Up By: Tonyfish#58 - Saturday, Jul 16, 2011 at 09:22

Saturday, Jul 16, 2011 at 09:22
Alloy - If In the process of breaking the law and if this was the case, then all the damage.

If the speed limit was being done, then its just plain bad luck and you cop it.

Councils pay out for windscreens every day because of slashing roadsides

Cheers Tony
FollowupID: 733663

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Saturday, Jul 16, 2011 at 13:27

Saturday, Jul 16, 2011 at 13:27
Now how do we know they were breaking the law?

One roadtrain looks faster then at the same speed as a car let alone three.

Even police have problems getting visual speeds right.

FollowupID: 733683

Follow Up By: Member - Michael and Chris (QL - Saturday, Jul 16, 2011 at 21:01

Saturday, Jul 16, 2011 at 21:01
One thing people may not know but I should mention is with a roadtrain and particularly a tripple is the back trailer often wobbles all over the place. The way to keep it straight is to accelerate, and while under power the rear trailer will straighten up. Maybe the drivers were doing you a favour and saving you from getting side swiped. Mick
FollowupID: 733730

Reply By: Isuzumu - Friday, Jul 15, 2011 at 07:40

Friday, Jul 15, 2011 at 07:40
My biggest gripe is, I always pull off the road and some times stop, on the narrow bitumen roads, and some people get off the bitumen whilst speeding and spray rocks at you. I have never experienced that with semi drivers. I put it down to inexperience.
I tow a camper trailer and I find that there are some camper trailers drivers speeding as well, I like to sit on 95K on good roads and have many C/Ts pass me and disappear into the distance.
AnswerID: 459970

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Saturday, Jul 16, 2011 at 08:58

Saturday, Jul 16, 2011 at 08:58
Bruce,

I saw your version of pulling off the road when towing Vicki Easter last year, I was behind you and I am still waiting for the vehicle to come the other way ;) or was that just an Old Timers moment hehehehe

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 733661

Reply By: Ray - Friday, Jul 15, 2011 at 11:05

Friday, Jul 15, 2011 at 11:05
I don't know about NT & QLD but here in the West Some "Road Train Drivers" are only driving during harvest time and are made up of farm hands and cockies sons.
I found that the proffessinal drivers are really good and quite certiuos
AnswerID: 459986

Reply By: Holden4th - Friday, Jul 15, 2011 at 18:43

Friday, Jul 15, 2011 at 18:43
Might is right certainly applies on outback roads and the 'rules' posted make a hell of a lot of sense. I'd like to add one more 'rule' that really works for me. When I'm traveling on a narrow bitumen road the last thing I want to have happens is for an oncoming truck to put its LHS wheels onto the gravel verge at the side of the road as this throws up a lot of rocks. In this situation I pull over to the verge myself, slow down and show my intentions by giving couple of flicks on my left indicator. This lets the truckie know that I'm happy for him to travel in a straight line and stay on the bitumen. Sometimes when I do this I even get an acknowledgement from the truckie on his UHF.

As an aside, I've found the standard of driving by outback truckies to be very good.
AnswerID: 460026

Reply By: Robert K3 - Saturday, Jul 16, 2011 at 14:27

Saturday, Jul 16, 2011 at 14:27
This is a good read for the somewhat technical minded and shows just how strong laminated windscreens are and are virtually impossible to penetrate under normal conditions. Such as stopped waiting for a roadtrain to pass.

Windscreen Testing

Rob
AnswerID: 460082

Reply By: Off-track - Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 00:10

Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 00:10
Another thread, another whinge.
AnswerID: 460139

Sponsored Links