Tyres

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 31, 2011 at 09:50
ThreadID: 87884 Views:2481 Replies:7 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

Gooday folks
I recently asked a question in these forums asking for the pros and cons on 4WD diesel utes and the answers I received helped a lot. My thanks to every one who helped in my selection of a one year old Triton. I need help again in selecting a new set of Tyres for this vehicle. I plan to tow a caravan and do a lot of beach fishing so the new Tyres will be mostly on road with some beach work. Any input from members would be greatly appreciated. I have very little experience in off road beach work so any information in this area ie tyre pressures etc would also be helpful.
Regards Jim Kemp

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ben_gv3 - Sunday, Jul 31, 2011 at 10:35

Sunday, Jul 31, 2011 at 10:35
If road and beach driving is what you'll be doing I would stick to All Terrains in a LT (light truck) construction. Muddies will help you dig in deeper in the sand which is not something you want.

I've run my tyres down to 10 psi on the sand but I have a light 4WD and was very careful with corners etc so I didn't roll a bead off the rim.

With regards to brands you'll get a million and one opinions on which brand is best.
AnswerID: 461382

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, Jul 31, 2011 at 10:51

Sunday, Jul 31, 2011 at 10:51
Hi Jim,

I don't believe you could go past a set of AT (All Terrain) tyres for your vehicle.
They will suit a variety of situations off road and have minimal noise level on road as well.

I have run Bridgestone Dueler AT's in both 693 and 694 construction for a number of years and have been happy with their practical road life before requiring replacement.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 461384

Reply By: pash8470 - Sunday, Jul 31, 2011 at 13:09

Sunday, Jul 31, 2011 at 13:09
We big believer in muddies best tyres we ever had and last forever. Have a look at the Goodyear wranglers.
AnswerID: 461398

Reply By: Member - nick b - Sunday, Jul 31, 2011 at 14:34

Sunday, Jul 31, 2011 at 14:34
gooday Jim : did you have a read of the 4wd action mag re tyre comparo !!!

The statement that muddies dig in to the sand is most likely a myth !!! more to do with the way you drive , heavy foot will dig in , plenty has been written about this , Jol Fleming explained this not that long ago in a thread
For me I like to get the highest tyre possible & get the vehicle up out of the sand as much as possible , if your in deep sand & your low you might find your self in trouble

cheers nick
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 461405

Reply By: "Semi" Grey Nomads - Sunday, Jul 31, 2011 at 15:55

Sunday, Jul 31, 2011 at 15:55
I have a 210 Mitsubishi Challenger. I fitted Goodrich All Terrains. I have traveled just over 20000km so far and they have been excellent and show little signs of wear. I do a fair few long highway trips (weekly), and fair bit of gravel road driving with the occasional beach trip. I have had these tyers on other 4WD's with great success.
AnswerID: 461407

Reply By: asmithy - Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 13:28

Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 13:28
i have maxxis 753 bravo mt's on my rodeo dual cab 4x4, cannot fault them on the hwy or the sand!
i have had coopers all my life & couldnt really fault then either, only when they get on with age they get dried out and a bit slippery on the blacktop!
only my opinion....
all the best,
smithy.
AnswerID: 461494

Reply By: OREJAP - Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 14:52

Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 14:52
G'day Jim, If you are going to tow a van I would seriously consider the BFG T/A. This tyre has been around for a very long time. Many satisfied customers who post their praises on numerous forums. Will probably set you back $300 a corner for the Triton. Have a look at the new Hankooks which are about $50 to $75 cheaper per tyre than the BFG. Which ever brand you settle for make sure they are LT configuration. No, I do not sell tyres or have any affiliation with either company. I had Hankooks & BFG's on my 4WD over the years & never had a drama. Good Luck
AnswerID: 461502

Sponsored Links