Gwydir Highway

Submitted: Tuesday, Aug 02, 2011 at 10:45
ThreadID: 87935 Views:3350 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Morning Guys & Ladies,
Pud and I are currently on the East Coast, and have been looking at the map to see how we can get to Silverton.
It looks as if we will be near Grafton when it time to head west, and the Gwydir Highway looks as if it will be the go, can some one inform me what its like taking into consideraton we are towing a 19' van.
Thanks in anticipation.
Cheers
Baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member -Pinko (NSW) - Tuesday, Aug 02, 2011 at 10:55

Tuesday, Aug 02, 2011 at 10:55
Excellent road with a few climbs. semis and b doubles use it.
Lots of places to stop and enjoy. Gibralter range np. has a stopping place just off the road.
The climb to the top of the plateau is ok just take your time.
We travel that route when going west.
There is also the waterfall way through Dorrigo then on to Armidale or Glen Innes but we prefer the Gwydir.
Stan
Living is a journey,it depends on where you go !
VKS 737 mobile 0049 selcall 0049

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 461578

Reply By: Hairs & Fysh - Tuesday, Aug 02, 2011 at 11:13

Tuesday, Aug 02, 2011 at 11:13
Hi Baz,
I good road to travel on. Bit of a step climb from the Mann river up to the top., but once up near Strawberry Look Out it's a good run to Glen.We'll be heading to Silverton the Saturday morning leaving Grafton about 3am ish the 17th of September, with Mark G .
We'll be trying to get to Bourke by sundown that evening. Then on to Silverton the next day.
There is a servo/caravan park at the bottom at Jackadgery before the climb up.
safe travels

Jon
AnswerID: 461580

Reply By: Marksom - Tuesday, Aug 02, 2011 at 13:48

Tuesday, Aug 02, 2011 at 13:48
Hi Baz & Pud, Mark from Ballina, lived in Glen Innes long ago, travelled all those roads, Gwydir is the easiest, few places to see, Mann River/ Jackadgery, Boundary Creek Falls, Strawberry Lookout, Washpool Park, Mulligans Hut.....We just back from central oz, via Silverton, Broken Hill, Cobar, Bourke, Moree, Inverell, Glen Innes, Grafton...nearly all good roads, couple of rough ones near Moree, apart from that good long quiet roads. Stayed at few places...'van parks, checked out free camps also....yell if you need more info.
AnswerID: 461598

Reply By: Member - barbara M (NSW) - Tuesday, Aug 02, 2011 at 20:06

Tuesday, Aug 02, 2011 at 20:06
Hi!
The road is quite good we tow our van up there regularly, did the trip out to Bourke a couple of weeks ago, it was good, camped at the free camp at Colly for the first time it was good, after Bourke we headed up to the Currywina NP
Barb
AnswerID: 461640

Sponsored Links