Smokey Diesel

Submitted: Thursday, Nov 27, 2003 at 15:56
ThreadID: 8794 Views:2938 Replies:7 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Just wondering what the main cause of diesel smoke is - turbo (boost level seems fine? smoke doesnt look like its proportional to boost), incorrectly timed diesel pump? rings?

I recently bought a 1985 Turbo Diesel Patrol which blows a bit of smoke. It occasionally needs a bit of a hand getting started in the morning (with manual glow plug switch), but otherwise appears to run fine.

At what stage do diesel owners usually decide 'I need a recond motor?' and do I really need to recon the WHOLE thing if the engine otherwise seems fine (ie - i'd like to stick to a budget - can't i just do rings and pistons??).

Thanks in advance,
Dave.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ptcrowe - Thursday, Nov 27, 2003 at 18:47

Thursday, Nov 27, 2003 at 18:47
Biscuits tell us what colour smoke you are blowing and when you are blowing it. ie only at start up, only under load ,all the time, etc etc when armed with this info we should be able to point you in the right direction.
AnswerID: 38703

Reply By: Member -BJ (Sydney) - Thursday, Nov 27, 2003 at 18:53

Thursday, Nov 27, 2003 at 18:53
Black smoke injectors or pump , Heaps of black all the time turbo , white smoke oil if you are in Sydney i can give you a good diesel mech to take a look at it, email me off line Regards Bob
Where to next
AnswerID: 38708

Reply By: Member The J - Man (Cairns) - Thursday, Nov 27, 2003 at 20:00

Thursday, Nov 27, 2003 at 20:00
Don't forget the simple things, dirty air filter. Less air means more smoke."Slow and steady wins the race."

Regards,

J - Man.
AnswerID: 38713

Reply By: SupaMav - Thursday, Nov 27, 2003 at 21:13

Thursday, Nov 27, 2003 at 21:13
I found this site quite helpful about the black art of diesels . . . sMoKe
AnswerID: 38725

Reply By: Brian- Thursday, Nov 27, 2003 at 22:50

Thursday, Nov 27, 2003 at 22:50
Hi Biscuits,

I promote the Bi-tron Products. The Bi-tron fuel conditioner is engineered to make the fuel burn almost 100%. This could possibly relieve your problem.

You will need to contact me by e-mail at brian@brianrogers.net

I'll await your contact.

Regards,

Brian Rogers 525
AnswerID: 38745

Reply By: biscuits - Friday, Nov 28, 2003 at 00:16

Friday, Nov 28, 2003 at 00:16
Thanks to everyone for their replies.

The smoke is black and for the moment seems to only be while the engine is under operating temp (i've only had the car two days - my first diesel - but I should get someone to drive it so I can judge how much its putting out during normal driving).

After surfing the web, I guess it could be value clearances, injector pump, injectors, air filter, etc... Soon as I find a good workshop in Perth hopefully a good service will help clean it up a bit. I was a bit worried the engine was almost stuffed, but I guess it could just be simple tuning/maintenance related. Thanks again to everyone.

Dave.
AnswerID: 38749

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Friday, Nov 28, 2003 at 12:36

Friday, Nov 28, 2003 at 12:36
Biscuits,
We the main man from Robson Brothers 4WD in Bentley who came to the club last night to give us a few hints and tips about 4WD's, he was a bit of a Nissan fan so your off on the right foot, maybe a chat to him might help for a start, he seemed genuine enough. I've never used them myself I do my own thing, I have no affiliation to him or the company, so see how you go if you wnt to give him a shot.Keep the shiny side up
AnswerID: 38791

Sponsored Links