Australian place names listing with coords and Google maps location

Submitted: Wednesday, Aug 10, 2011 at 15:07
ThreadID: 88388 Views:1778 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
May be of use:

http://www.geodata.us/australia_names_maps/index.html#A

Note: each entry on that page opens another listing with a following bracket of alpha. entries.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bazooka - Wednesday, Aug 10, 2011 at 20:07

Wednesday, Aug 10, 2011 at 20:07
Or you could use the Australian resource/aurthority - the Australian Gazeteer.

The complete Gazeteer is downloadable from the Geoscience Australia website:

"The Gazetteer of Australia 2010 contains more than 322,000 geographic names in Australia provided by members of the Committee for Geographic Names of Australasia.

The Gazetteer of Australia 2010 product user guide [PDF 192KB] sets out the fundamental concepts and characteristics of Gazetteer of Australia 2010 Release.

Copyright of the Gazetteer of Australia resides with the relevant State, Territory and Australian Governments which are the custodians of the information within their jurisdiction."
AnswerID: 462288

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Thursday, Aug 11, 2011 at 07:22

Thursday, Aug 11, 2011 at 07:22
Yes.

The map zoom level is not as good though.
FollowupID: 736127

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Thursday, Aug 11, 2011 at 15:24

Thursday, Aug 11, 2011 at 15:24
But since you are already on ExplorOz - why wouldn't you use the one here? It's called PLACES - use the site menu to get to it. Designed especially for travellers, we have various custom data layers which you can toggle on/off to make it easy to get exactly what you want displayed on the map. We also allow people to add photos, comments, and even download the GPS positions in GPX, and CSV formats! You can select the most relevant type of base map to view the position (so you'd probably choose Google streets for town areas, topo 250K for outback areas, or satellite if you want a bird's eye view. Members of the public can also upload Places here - which means we have lots of waypoints for things that only explorers/caravanners/campers are interested in so all the geodata australia content is here plus more, a total over 100,000 locations.

TIP: hover over the site menu for Places and you can drill down to sub-categories, eg. Find All Places, Find Things to Do, Find Campers & Caravan Parks, Find All Points of Interest. This is also where we have links to the Driving Directions tool, and the Weather checker.

Hope some of you find this useful.
Regards, Michelle (MM)

David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 462330

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Thursday, Aug 11, 2011 at 15:27

Thursday, Aug 11, 2011 at 15:27
Good point MM.

I'd forgotten how damn good this website is! :-}

(But can you turn off the bleeding auto hyperlinks pls?)
FollowupID: 736153

Sponsored Links