Where to get a Toyota Land Cruiser in Sydney?

Submitted: Sunday, Aug 14, 2011 at 01:14
ThreadID: 88456 Views:2652 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all!

I'm going to visit your amazing country in 5 weeks from now on to do some travelling and 4wheel-driving. Gonna stay for about a year and starting in Sydney. After a lot of research I was not able to find information about where to buy a 4wd (preferentially Toyota Land Cruiser 80series or troopcarrier). Looking for something not too expensive but still in good condition and reliable for serious 4wd-traveling.

Can anybody give me addresses, links or just tell me how I can find your trustable car dealer?

Need your help!


Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Puma1 - Sunday, Aug 14, 2011 at 05:39

Sunday, Aug 14, 2011 at 05:39
Just a bit of info for you re: licences in Aus
Unless the requirements have changed - you will find that as a visitor your licence or an international drivers licence would be legal as long as you don't actually own the car.
If you hire, borrow or even steal one & your licence is valid (you're in a bit of trouble if you steal one) but if you buy one and own it, you are going to have to have an Australian licence to legally drive here.

Those laws were applicable in NSW when I came to Aus, I know because I had an international licence and got charged for being un-licenced because I was the registered owner of the car - what a joke that was!

Different Australian states may have different regs, but you should check with the Road Traffic Authority (RTA)

Main Aussie Car sites here

Good luck!
AnswerID: 462535

Follow Up By: Steve M1 (NSW) - Sunday, Aug 14, 2011 at 13:05

Sunday, Aug 14, 2011 at 13:05
so an international licence becomes unlicenced in Australia? pfffffffft

there's often a bit of overlap on those sites but they are the best way. Esp carsales - you can save a lot of leg work and even buy interstate - just get one of those cheapo flights under $100 and taxi it to the dealer

FollowupID: 736362

Follow Up By: 120scruiser (NSW) - Thursday, Aug 18, 2011 at 09:07

Thursday, Aug 18, 2011 at 09:07
In NSW an international licence is valid until you obtain a permanent visa. Once you get a permanent visa you must get a NSW licence I think within three months. Other states may be different so if you are here for 1 year on a visiting visa your international licence is valid even if you buy a car.
I deal with Indian's here on student visa's that have been here for 4 years and still on their Indian licence and there is not a thing you can do until they get a permanent visa.
However to purchase a car in NSW you will need to have an address to register it to which may be a problem if travelling.
FollowupID: 736635

Follow Up By: 120scruiser (NSW) - Thursday, Aug 18, 2011 at 09:10

Thursday, Aug 18, 2011 at 09:10
I have a friend that is selling his 96 model 80 series. Its 4.5 petrol/gas, lift kit, rear wheel carrier and bull bar. I think he is asking $9000 for it. Not sure of the km but I think it is just over 300k.
FollowupID: 736636

Follow Up By: Puma1 - Thursday, Aug 18, 2011 at 09:35

Thursday, Aug 18, 2011 at 09:35
I was only on a 1 year working holiday visa, not a 'permanent' visa when they booked me, and I was told it was because I was the registered owner of the vehicle but I was ok to use my licence to hire or borrow a vehicle!
FollowupID: 736639

Reply By: Member - Graham Watson (SA) - Sunday, Aug 14, 2011 at 07:57

Sunday, Aug 14, 2011 at 07:57
A popular web site used by dealers and private sellers is www.carsales.com.au. I found my last two 2nd hand cars from dealers on this web site. It is particularly good if you know exactly what you want as you can search on car model, auto/manual, diesel/petrol etc and define the region you want to search.
Graham Watson

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 462539

Follow Up By: Puma1 - Sunday, Aug 14, 2011 at 13:36

Sunday, Aug 14, 2011 at 13:36
Carpoint includes ALL the carsales.com.au adds, (check 'em both out side by side) but the Carpoint site is faster, so carpoint is better as you don't have to check car sales as well.

I think the same is with eBay and Drive all the drive listings end up as an advertised listing on eBay.
FollowupID: 736366

Reply By: bardenboy - Sunday, Aug 14, 2011 at 16:05

Sunday, Aug 14, 2011 at 16:05
I have a friend that is looking at selling his 80 series Land Cruiser (He has just bought a Hilux)
Its a 1996 - 4.5L Petrol auto - kitted out with Bull Bar, Duel Batteries, Rear Bar with Duel wheel carrier,near new Mickey Thomsom MTZ muddies, Draws and a space for the fridge in the back,Cargo Barrier, I think it has 320,000km on the clock but runs very well,

Not sure on the price, but it is ready to go and the car is in Sydney, If you are interested I can get some photos

AnswerID: 462578

Reply By: Mills5 - Tuesday, Aug 16, 2011 at 17:27

Tuesday, Aug 16, 2011 at 17:27
You could try contacting Travel Car Centre at Brookvale, Sydney..they rent and sometimes sell fully equiped Land Cruisers and similar.. mainly to European customers , have been to their premises many times for a look ..would recommend them highly..They use to sell and buy back at a guaranteed price..but am not sure if this is possible..I think a change in legislation made this difficult ..worth an email find them at www.travelcar.com.au

AnswerID: 462742

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (11)