Mount Augustus

Submitted: Friday, Sep 16, 2011 at 14:34
ThreadID: 89055 Views:1874 Replies:4 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,
We are looking to do a trip out to Mt Augustus and are wondering what you would consider an appropriate amount of time to do the trip in.
its only a days drive for us to get there so just wondering what's up there to see and how much time do would you spend there?.
I have had a look at the Places page for Mt Augustus but there isn't a lot of details so any feedback would be helpful and appreciated.

The only person to get everything done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Friday, Sep 16, 2011 at 18:35

Friday, Sep 16, 2011 at 18:35
Hi Andrew,
Was there about 5 yrs ago. We spent about 3 nights, I recall. Nice grassed camping area, and dongas are also available. Spent one morning climbing the rock, had lunch up there, relaxed for the arvo on our return. Next day, walked around the base - there are some quite nice scenic walk trails, which include rock art. Even spent some time cracking and eating sandalwood nuts under a tree we found. And a visit out to the river nearby - a nice shady picnic spot on a large picturesque pool. Recall that the station/bar staff were very friendly, and we felt most welcome.
cheers
Gerry

AnswerID: 465208

Follow Up By: snoopyone - Friday, Sep 16, 2011 at 22:07

Friday, Sep 16, 2011 at 22:07
Best do a search or Google it cos I think it got pretty much wiped out in the floods earlier in the year.
I could be wrong but wont hurt to look.
FollowupID: 739212

Follow Up By: Member - Phil B (WA) - Saturday, Sep 17, 2011 at 03:11

Saturday, Sep 17, 2011 at 03:11
I was there about 3 weeks ago buying fuel as we continued on to Tom Price.

It still has grassed sites, a shop, also sells a beer. Definitely not wiped out.

We weren't touring Mt Augustus so can't comment on how long you need.

cheers

There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 739228

Follow Up By: snoopyone - Saturday, Sep 17, 2011 at 08:43

Saturday, Sep 17, 2011 at 08:43
My mistake was Gasgoyne Junction I was thinking of.

FollowupID: 739239

Reply By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Sunday, Sep 18, 2011 at 10:08

Sunday, Sep 18, 2011 at 10:08
I was just there tues and Wed last week. Yeah very nice grassed are camping area. Pretty easy camp manager and $7:50 un-powered or $25 powered. Since we were only there for a couple of days and have solar power we chose the cheaper un-powered.

Lovely evening at the lookout watching the sun set over the Mount sitting having a drink and cheese biscuits. Some of our party went for the long walk to the top. Rewarding but tiring. You can just get mobile reception from the top. No reception at the camp.

Next day was driving the 50km around the Mount and stopping off at the short walks. Just amazing. Some are lookouts, some are natural water holes, some have rock art.

Being such a huge Mount in the northwest it is just a must see place if you are around there.

The caravan park has very hot showers, large shower cubicles, with full water pressure - something unusual in lots of caravan parks.

In the caravan park you can sit and look straight at the Mount.

I have a standard landcruiser ute and filled up in Canarvon, stopped in at Kennedy ranges for a couple of days, stopped in for a look around Cobra Stn, and then 2 days at Mount Augustus with driving around and then on to Meekatharra where I filled up again - still had 35litres of diesel. Of course you can get fuel at Mount Augustus or Cobra Stn.

The road can be pretty hard on tires so let a few psi out so sharp rocks to just stab a hole. We saw a few others with destroyed tires. And cut the speed down, there can be some sudden water washes that would destroy suspension if you are at high speed.

Great trip.

Cheers

Serendipity

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 465349

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Sunday, Sep 18, 2011 at 11:17

Sunday, Sep 18, 2011 at 11:17
For a very different look at Mount Augustus, drive up the western side and over the top. 4WD required.
You will need decent 1:250,000 maps and talk to Parks first.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
AnswerID: 465356

Follow Up By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Sunday, Sep 18, 2011 at 13:23

Sunday, Sep 18, 2011 at 13:23
Are we talking about the same Mount Augustus. I did not see any method or access to drive up the Mount. 4 of our party who walked up the 6 hour trail to the top said it was a tough climb and at times using hands.

We drove all around going into most of the little short walks and saw no method of access to the top.

There is a loop gravel road that you can drive all the way around about 50kms.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 739387

Follow Up By: get outmore - Sunday, Sep 18, 2011 at 14:12

Sunday, Sep 18, 2011 at 14:12
There confused with the kennedy ranges
FollowupID: 739395

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Monday, Sep 19, 2011 at 07:42

Monday, Sep 19, 2011 at 07:42
Sorry... :-(

Re climbing, there is a well defined track all the way up. You can also go up or down via the creek, and that is harder, but there are petroglyphs to see along the way.

Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
FollowupID: 739465

Reply By: Member - Andrew C (WA) - Monday, Sep 19, 2011 at 21:06

Monday, Sep 19, 2011 at 21:06
Thanks for the info it's been most helpful
The only person to get everything done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 465510

Follow Up By: 87 - Monday, Sep 19, 2011 at 21:27

Monday, Sep 19, 2011 at 21:27
Was there last week- well worth visiting. Mt Augustus tourist park (as it is called) is well set up however they advise not to drink the water though it is good for showers etc. Diesel fuel was $2.10. Spent three days there though another would of been good. Had a kayak which was good at Cattle Creek - fair amount of water- also great at Murchison River south of Murchison settlement where i went for at least 3-4 kms without end to the water which was flowing. While up there visit Kennedy Range national park worth a couple of days. Gascoyne Junction has pretty well been wiped out- fuel is available but only if urgent thru the shire. Rocky pool towards Carnarvon is also worth a visit good water.
Ken
FollowupID: 739547

Sponsored Links